shape
carat
color
clarity

Too Good to Be True Price

SteveNagacho

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I have received a price quote for a 1.7 round brilliant F VS2 Triple Excellent ring for $18k. This is a very good price however I am concerned since I have been told this is almost too good to be true. The seller provided a GIA certificate but it is a photocopy version. I validated the GIA # and it does match the specs of what I have 'seen'. I used 'seen' because I won't really be able to tell if that really was an F instead of a G.
Anyway, the seller confirmed it is inscribed with the serial # as well.
My questions:
-What are your thoughts on this? Is anything alarming?
- Can GIA inscriptions be faked?
- Can a real GIA certificate be fraudulently 'associated' with another diamond? Meaning, I am given the right GIA #/cert but given another diamond with lower specs?

Thank you all!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Make the sale contingent on an independant appraisal of your choosing and ensure you have a return policy in writing.

Post the GIA grading report number and specs in the channel and we can tell you how well cut it is if that is something important to you.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SteveNagacho

Rough_Rock
Hi All, Thank you for the prompt response. I will get a copy of the GIA but it is a VS2 due to one small inclusion right at the center of the diamond. This could be 'what's wrong' or driving the price down.

Does anyone have any expertise as how inclusion location affects the sparkle/beauty of the diamond?
I've heard many things on this one as well.
- Won't affect quality if its not visible with the naked eye
- Will only affect value and nothing else that is visible with the naked eye.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SteveNagacho said:
Hi All, Thank you for the prompt response. I will get a copy of the GIA but it is a VS2 due to one small inclusion right at the center of the diamond. This could be 'what's wrong' or driving the price down.

Does anyone have any expertise as how inclusion location affects the sparkle/beauty of the diamond?
I've heard many things on this one as well.
- Won't affect quality if its not visible with the naked eye
- Will only affect value and nothing else that is visible with the naked eye.

Of course technically any inclusion will affect the way light travels through the prism that is the diamond. How these effects report has very little to do with visibility and very much to do with location, type, and spread.
And technicalities sometimes mean absolutely nothing in the real world, and this is one of those times: there is no way the effects of a VS2 inclusion in a stone of any reasonable size will practically affect light return, so it's really not worth giving another thought to ::)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah you are fine with VS2. Get the #s and plug into HCA, you are looking for a stone that scores under 2 (lower is not necessarily better, anything under 2 is worth further consideration).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results