shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this look like an OEC?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I came across this listing on my local craigslist. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/jwl/1961401977.html

Mens Diamond Ring from the Seventies with a 1.33 Carat Yellow Champagne Diamond. It was my fathers. The ring is worn out but the diamond is perfect. Comes an appriasal from 1983 that values it at $3055.00. Here are the specs 1.33 carat, 7.1mm x4.32mm, SI-2, shape is round brillaint. Older cut.

It seems to be an OEC? And what do you think about the price for this size ($1600)?

champagneOEC.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi mustang,

It does appear that it could be an OEC (open culet is visible), but without some better pics or a tight return policy, I'm
not sure if I'd venture it..
Have you asked about inclusions, as its listed as SI2 - its over 25 years since that appraisal was done, does it have external damage at all, etc?
I think if you can get some better (ask them to avoid glare) photos to make out the faceting, and find out about the clarity it could be a good price..are you happy with the yellow/champagne colour?

stci

Ideal_Rock
For many reasons I say no, it's not an OEC.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
From the picture provided, it looks like and OEC.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
That's the only picture from the listing, and I haven't contacted the seller yet. I do like the color, but I know "champagne" diamonds sell for much less than colorless, so I wasn't sure about the price. DH isn't a fan of open culets, so I probably won't be buying it, but thought it was a neat find.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
stci said:

why?

ditto - can the OP and others please know the reasons, and how you are able to definitively tell from one bad pic :?:

stci

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane said:
Yssie said:
stci said:

why?

ditto - can the OP and others please know the reasons, and how you are able to definitively tell from one bad pic :?:

Excuse me.... I would not to be "formal" in my answer. I should have said " For many reasons, I THINK it's not an OEC. "

Your right, the pic is really bad but I can't retreive the OEC unique pattern. The culet seem "bizarre" more like an OMC.

how you are able to definitively tell from one bad pic ?

Probably cause I saw tons an tons of OEC and OMC pictures and none of them presented such a "strange" pattern.

Now.... just a question: Are we always obliged to justify what we thinks on this forum or can we simply answer to a direct question?

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I'd say probably an OEC. It's really hard to tell from the pic though.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
stci said:
arjunajane said:
Yssie said:
stci said:

why?

Excuse me.... I would not to be "formal" in my answer. I should have said " For many reasons, I THINK it's not an OEC. "

Your right, the pic is really bad but I can't retreive the OEC unique pattern. The culet seem "bizarre" more like an OMC.

Probably cause I saw tons an tons of OEC and OMC pictures and none of them presented such a "strange" pattern.

Now.... just a question: Are we always obliged to justify what we thinks on this forum or can we simply answer to a direct question?

PS is about education, therefore it is usually more helpful if people give the reasons behind their statements, rather than just making statements.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
stci said:
arjunajane said:
Yssie said:
stci said:

why?

You can absolutely say what you think, it just comes across as more credible when you explain why so that the OP can understand more...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the pic (for what it is worth) the open culet and small crown makes me believe it is most likely an OEC. If the diamond has not chips and is eye clean the the price IMHO is a steal.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
What happened? What did you decide? What a beautiful looking stone!!!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
It's down to $1400 now, but DH complained when I asked for a $200 re-set for x-mas, so don't think its in my future :nono:

I'll keep my eye on it and see how low it goes.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I came back to look again. I think this stone is BEAUTIFUL!! And the price is great too. Wow!! I wish I had the $$!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results