shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your everyday tricks/secrets!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
It would be nice to have a thread to refer to when you are in need of specific help. Like this:

I put salt along with my detergent to prevent colors to bleed onto other clothing.

For paper coffee filters, I slam them on the side of the counter to separate them

to get out tar on your car doors, a little of WD-40 will do the trick!

... Please share yours!!! :))

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I keep a bottle of sample sized shampoo in my car. When traveling, its great to use as soap in public restrooms that may have run out of soap and it won't gunk up rings as quickly. Also use it to pre-treat spots in clothing.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Windex gets bugs off your vehicle easily. So do used dryer sheets. USED.

I use lemon juice to get out basic stains.

Scarabnight

Rough_Rock
To clean out microwaves, If you put baking soda and water in a bowl and microwave them for a few minutes, then any gunk will wipe away with a sponge and no scrubbing :twirl:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
To keep paint/plaster from chipping when you hammer in a nail, just put a small piece of masking tape over the spot where you want the nail.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I use generic Stridex on my feet every other day to keep them soft and smooth. I never need a pedicure. I use them on the tops, bottom, between the toes--all over. Haven't had a pedicure in over two years.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
To get a new stain out of a carpet, use straight rubbing alcohol. Pour it on, blot it up. Repeat if needed.

When I am out and about, and I spill on my clothes I saturate it with hand sanitizer. Saved my white shirt from chocolate ice cream last time.

I did some work for a household chemical company and they told me all stain removers were alcohol based.

To get an OLD stain (even a couple of years old) use Chem-Dry Stain Extinguisher carpet cleaner in a can. It works every time and saves me a ton on carpet shampooing. Available on ebay or at home depot. Spray on, wait for foam to just die down, then blot up with SUPER absorbent paper towels (I like Costco towels) before it dries. I have tried SO many carpet cleaners, this is the only one that works. When I had toddlers, I ordered a whole case.

When I get a tickle in my throat that indicates a cold coming on, I gargle with scotch. Kills everything.

If I miss it and end up with a sore throat and a cold, I gargle with warm salt water. Feels SO much better.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Take a few mins to think before you tackle a hard or complex job. There is always an easier and or safer way - just take a min to find it.

Clean the microwave every time you use it - just do it.

Do household tasks in pairs, when you do X you do Y. Like emptying the bin means doing the recycling. Composting means cleaning out the hens. Hoovering means dusting. Washing means Ironing + folding. Cleaning the bathrooms and polishing all the mirrors. It works for me.

ETA: Ooops, I missed the point. Here is a specific tip.

If the vachetta on your LV is mucky use a clean baby wipe and gently wipe. It takes all sorts of grime off in a second.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Steal said:
Take a few mins to think before you tackle a hard or complex job. There is always an easier and or safer way - just take a min to find it.

Do household tasks in pairs, when you do X you do Y. Like emptying the bin means doing the recycling. Composting means cleaning out the hens. Hoovering means dusting. Washing means Ironing + folding. Cleaning the bathrooms and polishing all the mirrors. It works for me.

If the vachetta on your LV is mucky use a clean baby wipe and gently wipe. It takes all sorts of grime off in a second.

What are you saying with that last line? I don't know what a vachette or an LV are . . . :?:

Anybody know what she's saying?

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
iLander said:
To get an OLD stain (even a couple of years old) use Chem-Dry Stain Extinguisher carpet cleaner in a can. It works every time and saves me a ton on carpet shampooing. Available on ebay or at home depot. Spray on, wait for foam to just die down, then blot up with SUPER absorbent paper towels (I like Costco towels) before it dries. I have tried SO many carpet cleaners, this is the only one that works. When I had toddlers, I ordered a whole case.

Does that work on pet stains too? We've used Nature's Miracle, but that didn't get everything out.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
iLander said:
Steal said:

What are you saying with that last line? I don't know what a vachette or an LV are . . . :?:

She, is referring to Louis Vuitton.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor said:
iLander said:

Does that work on pet stains too? We've used Nature's Miracle, but that didn't get everything out.

Oh, yes, I have used it for pet stains especially. It's hard to find, and kind of pricey, but it's worth every penny.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Steal said:
iLander said:
Steal said:

She, is referring to Louis Vuitton.

Sorry, Steal, I was just asking in general in case you didn't come back around with the answer. It was driving me crazy! :twirl:

Thank you! :wavey:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
If you or your guest prefers a strong cup of coffee and the other prefers a weaker cup, don't fret! The very beginning of a pot is the strongest you'll get. So depending on your maker, if you put the cup under the drip or pour right after the pot begins, that cup will have the strongest cup and the rest will mellow out as usual. No need for two pots :D

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
iLander said:
davi_el_mejor said:
iLander said:

Oh, yes, I have used it for pet stains especially. It's hard to find, and kind of pricey, but it's worth every penny.

I prefer the Nature's Miracle Advanced. It comes in a red bottle instead of the white. If you go to their website, they have a store locator that covers smaller stores (not just PetCo and PetSmart). The site is www.naturemakesitwork.com
I'll have to find some of the Chem-Dry, we have white carpet in one room (why, with 2 dogs I don't know) and it could use some more help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results