carat
color
clarity

The weirdest, scariest, most unbelieveable thing you've seen

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The weirdest, scariest, most unbelieveable thing you've

Twenty years ago, driving down an icy winding mountain road outside Denver. Truck in front of us.

All of a sudden, the passenger in the cab starts crawling out the window trying to get into the truck bed.
Truck is going too fast, starts swerving, he falls out onto the road head first and
starts rolling toward the side of the road, we barely miss him.
He's still alive but unconscious and turning blue. I try mouth-to-mouth to no avail.

A big rig comes down the road, stops & uses CB radio to call for help.
I'm looking around for something to use to give him a tracheotomy.
I don't know anything about how to do one but he's dying in front of us
and nothing is working to get him breathing. The driver is his sister, both were drunk,
she's screaming, hysterical, and watching her brother perhaps die.
Luckily we weren't too far from the city and an ambulance arrives surprisingly quickly.
I don't know what happened to him. We went on our way after the police took our info.

It's surprising what adrenaline does. I was calm as can be during the incident but 6 hours later, at dinner,
I started getting the shakes and fell apart. Still think about him after all these years and wonder whether he
survived and recovered.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a few, I also had an UFO incident it was many years ago, I think I was around 20 or 21 and me an my sister was in my car and we pulled up to an intersection and there was the weird shaped thing in the sky it had whirling red and white lights, it was live hovering over a billboard along side of the road and the next thing we knew it shot up into the sky very quickly and took off like at bat out of hell, scared me and her death, I was shaking.....

Another incident was with a ghost, when I married my husband he lived in a house and I moved in, well we had a German Shepard and she used to get freaked out pretty easy, well one night we were in bed (we had a queen size waterbed at the time) and the dog or something woke us up and all of the sudden we heard the dog running towards our room and then she ran into our room and slammed her body against our waterbed and shook the whole bed and she was standing there with her hair standing up and growling and finally she jumped into bed with us...we couldnt see see anything. She also did that one other time after our son was born we were awakened by her standing in his bedroom doorway (door was open) growling at the hall once again with her hair standing up...it kinda freaked us out, I was glad to move out of that house, lol

My latest incident is a little more friendly, my Dad passed around on Sept 14, 2010, everytime you seen my Dad he always had a toothpick, well when he died, we decided that he had to have a toothpick to take with him to heaven so we put one in his coat pocket before he was creamated. Well a couple of days after he died, my Mom came down stairs and there laid a toothpick on her kitchen table...she doesnt really use them... and then just last weekend I spent the night with Mom and the next morning we did some shopping and so forth and then we came home and I was getting ready to leave and low and behold a toothpick was sitting on the arm of the chair...my Mom had just cleaned the house 2 days earlier and it wasnt there then and I didnt see it until we were getting ready to leave, no one had been at my Mom's from the time she cleaned till I got there....I guess Dad is trying to tell us he is thinking of us.....still kinda of freaks me out though :lol:

After reading the rest of these stories I wanted to add that my Dad knew he was dying, he repeatly told my Mom that he loved her.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

LAJennifer said:
LtlFirecracker said:
You don't want to know. Lets just say I called a couple months in my residency the "parent twilight zone."

Oh yes, we want to know.

I have seen lots of sick kids, but the ones that are the weirdest, scariest, and unbelievable are the kids who were perfectly fine in the morning and than on full life support that evening.

OK.....Parents be warned....these some of my worst stories...

One week I had a 15 year old who had mono and than got this crazy bacterial infection from a bug that is usually harmless and lives in our gums. I guess the combo of mono and this bacteria is bad, he needed full life support for almost a month....BUT...after I went off service, he got better and got up and walked out of there.

That same week I had an adolescent (almost adult) who had an asthma attack at school and could not get to his inhaler. He went into cardiac arrest for over 10 minutes. We tried to support him though it, but the brain just cannot be without oxygen that long. It was one of the saddest cases I have dealt with. I still remember bringing him down to the cat scan machine, and the nursing staff just stopping, and almost breaking out into tears because they realized what had happened.

One weekend, I had an awful 32 hour shift, during the last 6 hours of the shift, the 15 year old with mono failed his first attempt at removal of the breathing tube. Than, the attending made me do the neurologic exam on the adolescent with asthma and than he pronounced him brain dead. It was the day before my birthday, so my BF (now husband) came to see me, and I could not stop talking about these kids. That night, I woke up to a kid (probably about 10 years old) screaming upstairs as if there was a struggle, and yelling for help (I was staying in a getto hotel). I called the cops, and I think everything ended up being OK. The next day I didn't want to talk to anyone I was so upset. I just kept thinking "is this real life."

I called that unit the "twilight zone," as I could not believe the things that came though there were real.

That was probably my worst week in residency. But the thing that scares me the most is the newborns who get very ill with a serous infection. I have only seen about 4-5, and I think 2 of them were from that unit, but I remember them all. But it just doesn't seem real, because things happen so fast with newborn babies. I think part of it is emotional for me, while the intellectual part of me is doing what I can, there is another part of me saying "but it's not fair, it is just a baby."

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Cool stories, everybody. The UFO ones knock me out, never really believed there are aliens visiting us....but you're changing my mind! Keep 'em coming!

When I lived in New York City in my 20s, one day as I walked to the drug store near my apt. a dead guy lay flat out on the sidewalk. Looked like a homeless man, right in the center of the pavement. The weird thing was that everyone just walked around him without giving him a second glance! He could have been a flowerpot for all the notice he got. Only in New York.

I do think people often know when they are going to die. Somebody comes to get them. My great-grandfather was John Williamson & died at 36, leaving his wife w/3 little boys. She was about 34. Eventually she remarried & had more kids, just went on with life. Before her death she was in a coma for a day. Suddenly she sat up & looked toward the foot of the bed with a smile. "Oh, John," she said, "Hello." Then lay back & died.

For a few days before my mother died she was lucid sometimes & others, she was clearly talking to someone. My sister & I thought she was hallucinating at the time, but now I have my doubts. One afternoon she'd been dozing but began conversing again, talking for a few minutes. Pointing to the window she asked, "Do I go out through there?" Then listened & said, "No? Oh. Okay." Two days later she was gone.

I had an experience with my dad the night he died in the next room in the middle of the night. I didn't know he was dying & it's too hard to write what happened -- but it's enough to say he came to tell me goodbye, and take my word for it, someone comes for us.

My aunt's friends went through hell with their daughter, who had a malignant brain tumor. Tragic, she was only in her late teens. Long time of trying to beat it but no cigar. They sat by her bed in the hospital when she began apologizing for all the trouble she'd caused them. Of course they said, "Honey, oh no," etc. She lay back against the pillows & said, "Well, it's ok now because tomorrow's my day." And the next morning it was.

Having grown up in a house with ghosts, I can't imagine being afraid of them. We are scared of the unknown but a ghost is only a person without a body. They are most often harmless & just want to communicate -- like the toothpick from Dad. I love that story -- he was saying, Hey I'm here with you, not gone. Two different entities were seen in our house, probably people who lived there in other times. It was an old house. Sometimes one or both played little jokes on us; they also made annoying knocks in the middle of the night in my bedroom -- but would knock it off if I asked. My mother's attitude was great. She shrugged & said, "They were here first."

--- Laurie

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock

Tuckins1 said:
Same answer as my post on the ghost thread- If I told you, you would think I was NUTS!!! :errrr:

Tuckins, that's just cruel. You have to tell us now! I'm dying to know.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

Just wanted to bump this thread - since it is Halloween week . . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock

OK, here's my unbelievable car accident story:

We were driving down a highway, 2 lanes each way, grassy median. Suddenly, an oncoming car zips across the crowded lane in front of us, manages not to hit anyone and smashes into a tree on the roadside. But there is NO ONE DRIVING THE CAR! :o

We look to the left, and there is a giant Winnebago rolling on the shoulder of the highway. It rolls over three times, seemed like slow motion, and finally comes to rest upright on it's wheels. The sides of the RV have completely peeled away and there are 2 people, strapped into their seats, looking stunned. :shock:

Apparently, they had been towing the car, speeding and the towed car came off of it's chain, hit their RV and made it roll. It then drove itself across the crowded highway and into the tree.

Whole thing happened in less than 30 seconds.

Moral of the story: spring for a car trailer ;-)

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock

I dunno how scary this is but it sure freaked me out!
DH leaves for work at 4:30 am. I usually get up at 8am. Sometime between those 2 times, something took out one of our nice glasses from the cupboards and it was just sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor upright. I'm sorry, but my cats are not THAT intelligent! And DH is too anal about our nice things getting broken or ruined to do it to freak me out :-o

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

random_thought said:
I dunno how scary this is but it sure freaked me out!
DH leaves for work at 4:30 am. I usually get up at 8am. Sometime between those 2 times, something took out one of our nice glasses from the cupboards and it was just sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor upright. I'm sorry, but my cats are not THAT intelligent! And DH is too anal about our nice things getting broken or ruined to do it to freak me out :-o

Ok, that is seriously freaky!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm also a nurse, and looked after a lady with cancer several years ago in hospital. She had a really good few days, and we thought she was looking so well she might be able to go home to be with her family and a district nurse doing home visits (she was palliative). One morning she propped herself up in bed, had a sponge wash, put on her lippy and best perfume, brushed her hair, and rang her entire family to come into hopsital to see her. I asked her what the occasion was, and she stated to me that "this is it, today's the day I go to meet God". I admit I was a tad bemused at the whole thing because she was quite the drama queen normally. Anyway, her sister, kids and grandkids all trapsed in, and she said goodbye to each individual and hugged them. The all left, telling her they would be back to see her the next day. She asked me what time it was several times that morning, asking again and again if it was 4 o'clock yet.

Once her family left, her condition deteriorated suddenly and very quickly. Her skin was grey, and her vital signs were terrible. She lapsed in and out of consciousness, yet kept asking me "what time is it? Is it 4 o'clock yet?" I swear, every 10 minutes she would ask me or another nurse. I called the doctor to see her, and he told me to continue her morphine infusion, but other than that, no intervention, in accordance with her wishes. I sat with her until the end of my shift (3:30pm) and reluctantly left once I'd handed over to another nurse. She'd asked me if it was 4 o'clock so many times that day. I came onto work at 7am the next day to find that, not suprisingly, she had passed away peacefully in her sleep the previous afternoon after I had left.

Time of death - 4pm. EEK.

I never found out what significance 4pm had for her, but I'd dearly love to know.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oops, forgot my other story! I now work in an operating theatre, and a few years back was called to work at about 2am for emergency surgery on a lady who had had an aortic anerysm repair 10 days prior. Other than that she was extremely fit and healthy for her age. Anyway, she was suffering from a pseudocyst on her pancreas that night, and was desperately ill, not to mention being 72. She had been conscious and had consented to her own surgery, and her family had pleaded with the sugeons to pull out all stops to save her. We worked for a few hours to drain the cyst and keep her stable, and her vital signs were all over the shop for the entire case. Despite five anesthetists, three surgeons and countless nurses doing our best, she arrested and was determined to be clinically dead at about 7am. Time of death was called, and we all stopped and had a breather, because we then needed to remove all the tubes and give her poor body a wash, call her family etc. It was terribly sad, as it always is. The monitor she was connected to was motionless.

We took ten minutes for a bit time out. Some of the team went home, and about half of us stayed on to help the day staff, who by then had come onto shift. One of the anesthetists was writing something down, I presume he was documenting the lady's last vital signs. He looked up at the monitor, and his eyes nearly popped out of his head. He pointed at the monitor, and a few of us looked up... her ECG had a tiny, weak trace, and the number on the screen showing her brain activity (the number had been 0 minutes prior) started to creep up... 3...5...10...12. We jumped to our feet, and one surgeon commenced chest compressions. The anesthetists intervened, and lo and behold, she had a pulse.

Several hours later she was extubated and sitting upright in intensive care, talking to her family, with no apparent signs of neurological damage. She was discharged home two weeks later.

I can't imagine that several doctors who examined that little lady could have 'missed' signs of life. I still work with one of the anesthetists that was on with me that night, and she still feels the hair stand up on the back of her neck when she thinks about it. Dear old thing, I wonder how she is today.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock

My uncle by marriage was diagnosed with cancer and fought a very brave fight. He spent his final days and weeks at home. His family rallied round him and they were a sight to behold all around his bed, eating, sleeping beside him and keeping him company. They took it in turns to be with him even when the nurses were there. I was so proud of them and him. How they dealt with this terrible time with such good humour and courage.

Anyway, my uncle's younger brother had died several years earlier. He too had cancer. However he had ignored vital signs, such as rapid weight loss, so when he was diagnosed, he died within a few weeks. Everyone was very shocked as he had been a very fit man.

My uncle often spoke of his brother, saying he was glad he had more time than his brother, to do what needed to be done and said.

Whilst my uncle was deteriorating his elder sister was also diagnosed with cancer. The family decided that it was best not to tell my uncle as he had very little time left and his lucid moments were becoming less and less.

His sister died in hospital very quickly after the diagnosis, not unlike their younger brother. Again the family decide not to tell my uncle as he had totally stopped mentioning her.

As he became weaker, his dreams, or what he thought to be his reality became more fanciful and joyous!! He would tell us stories of where he had been, who he had met etc. One of the ones that I remember best was how he been to the airport that morning to receive a huge shipment of whisky and how they had all been given a box of whisky as a thank you. He and the other men had cracked open a bottle and had had a few "wee half's" whilst telling jokes and pulling each others legs about their respective football teams. For the record, my uncle worked in engineering all his life and had no connection to the airport, but this story felt so real and he enjoyed it so much it was a pleasure to all who heard it and it is still recounted to this day fondly.

My uncle was a natural story teller and even in his illness, he never lost that.

Anyway, he started getting worse and we knew it would not be long. He spoke less and less. Still the family both immediate and extended were with him and he took great strength from it.

One afternoon, he woke up and started speaking to someone in the room. He was looking beyond his bed and not addressing anyone directly. His son asked him who was he talking too. He replied that his younger brother and his sister were here and it was his time soon. They would be there with him and would take him on his final journey.

His sister was dead and he hadn't been told!!! Yet he wasn't surprised by her presence and didn't question this. The conversation was short but loving, really only with the brother but he still said that his sister had been beside the brother throughout the conversation.

Later when asked about his sister, all he said was that he would go to exactly six weeks after she did.

And so he did. Happily and without fear or regret. It makes me happy, sad a bit freaked out all at the same time!!!

Keep the stories going everyone. I love to hear other peoples experiences.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

I wish I had experienced some of the freaky ghost/presence/supernatural/UFO things that others here have!
I love scary movies and the like, I think I would be freaked but would really value an experience like that..

I have two stories, but they are not as..visceral as most of the others..

Firstly, the family home I grew up in was Federation style, pretty old and had been in my dad's family for a couple generations. In the lounge room where we would gather as a family to watch TV etc in the evening, we had a large open fireplace where we would often have fires in the Winter. There was an ornate, dark wooden mantle piece over the fireplace, upon which sat just one very old wooden mantle clock.
This clock had belonged to my great grand-dad (on my paternal side), had apparently been one of his favourite possessions, and as far back as I can recall when I was a kid, it had never worked.
The story from my grandparents was that it had stopped ticking the day my great grand-dad had died, and hadn't worked since - although of course I had always just dismissed this as superstition/coincidence.

So, one evening we are all (two sisters, myself and my folks) sitting around in the lounge with a fire going as usual - when all of a sudden, out of nowhere the mantle clock started to work! The fire also started to crack and spit quite vigorously, so that my sisters and I had to scramble away from it (although this was not entirely uncommon)...We all just looked at each other, nobody had an explanation and no one really desired to approach the clock to inspect it :!:
It ticked along, working fine, for maybe two or three days, and than again without anyone touching it or any notice, it stopped.

On its own, not very spooky at all right? Well, turns out the night it had started working again was the same date (anniversary of) my great grand-father's passing years before. When my folks looked into it further, also turns out the time that the clock decided to freeze again, was the same as the time of death on his certificate. :sick:

My parents still have the clock in the home they live in now, still over a fireplace (albeit now a gas one ;))), and it hasn't worked since.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock

Cool stories everyone! I have two. One is a bit weird and the other is just so bizarre I won't even bother to share.

When I was around two or three years old, in the days before cell phones, my parents and I went on a road trip to Cape Town, a city about 10 hours away from home. The day we were supposed to get back my grandmother's neighbour came to knock on her door. She told my gran not to worry, we were in an accident but we're be fine. My gran asked her how she knew, how did my parents tell her, seeing as we were on the road and the neighbour had no phone.

We later found out she had a dream of the accident at around the same time as the accident happened... And she was right. We were fine.

The other one is really bizarre and I can't really give too much detail as it is quite identifying, seeing as the story was plastered all other the national news.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock

I really enjoy reading these! So so true, that people 'see' folks that aren't really there before they die! So freaky, but actually kinda calming in a way... hopefully, it is like that, so that you have a 'guide' to the other side, or wherever.

I'd like to elaborate on the death that most impacted me... Nothing really weird or freaky about this story - it was just so scary and sad.

I admitted a patient one night. She was in her late 60's, and she was one of those ladies that you *know* lived life to the fullest... she was tan, hair and makeup done up, looked and acted much younger than her age. She was super nice, and loved telling us the stories of her life...

She had been on vacation in Florida, and had gotten short of breath. So she went to the hospital down there, and they told her that she had a good sized mass in her lung, and better get home quickly for more evaluation. (looking back, I don't think they told her how dire her situation really was - the mass was huge).

So she gets to our hospital. She was short of breath at times, requiring more oxygen here and there, but it was nothing unmanageable. Her husband was so loving and doting, always sitting at her bedside, rubbing her arms, feet, etc.

I passed her off to the day nurse. She was scheduled to have a bronchoscopy that day (they put a scope into the lung, and extract a piece of the mass). I return that night. I was the charge nurse that night, and she wasn't my patient (typically, charge nurses get lighter assignments, and help out with the heavier assignments). Anyway, she deteriorated badly that night. We had her on 100% oxygen, and couldn't wean her down at all. She was working hard to breathe, and obviously getting terribly anxious... the dr's were called, and came to the bedside. It all happened so quickly - she was begging for us to knock her out and give her the breathing tube.

Anesthesia came, and we prepared to intubate her. I administer the sedative through the IV. I then administer the paralytic, and - she vomits (def not good - all her muscles are paralyzed now, so she couldn't breathe if she wanted to). We suction the vomit and intubate her.

She died shortly after. I often feel guilty, because I feel like *I* gave her the drug that cause the vomit, which had a hand in causing her death, yanno? I wonder if having the scope caused her to pass quicker, too...

Anyway, her husband was a wreck, as was I. We cried together... I have never been more impacted by a death at work. It just amazes me how one day you could be spry and joking and full of life, and barely hanging on the next. :(sad

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock

We have a running joke in our family that my sisters middle child is away with the faries but something happened a couple of days ago that makes me think she is communicating with them too! :-o

On Wednesday my mum called me to let me know she had to have our last family cat put down as his kidneys were failing. She just came back from the vet when my sister called in and asked mum what she was doing so mum told her that she just had to have the cat put to sleep. My sister replies with "Oh that's really strange, Darcy came up to me last night and said Mum, you have to go see Grams soon because Casper is going to die and go to heaven to see Sweetheart!"

I REALLY want to know how she knew!! I have premontitons about stuff all the time but i usually don't think much of them but this one has really made me take notice. Maybe they are not all coincidences?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock

I have a few, so I'll make them brief.

For the weird:

DH and I were dating and he was on his way home after dropping me off. Normally, I would have just gone to bed but for some reason, that night I sat by the phone praying. A few hours later, he called me to tell me he had a car accident. He rolled the car down a hill and into trees at the edge of a pond. The car was totaled, but DH was fine.

I often know when people are about to die. I have no idea why. It's just a feeling I have. I knew with both my grandparents, DH's grandma, and unfortunately now my uncle.

The night my grandma died, she told me my grandpa (deceased) had come to talk to her and now she was ready. I'm certain she knew she was going to die that night.

The scary ones:

When I was around 12, my cousin and I were walking around town (which is what poor kids do for fun). Outside a gas station, we saw a man from America's Most Wanted. We went home and told our parents and they called the cops. They never told us what became of it but apparently there were many reports about the man in our area.

I saw a bobcat in the woods when I was 13. He was up in a tree and let out this horrible scream. My blood curdled instantly. We got the heck out of there. The same day my cousin and I were meandering aimlessly, authorities found the head and hands of a young girl, apparently used in some ritual. They also found a young boy's body. If that bobcat hadn't scared the crap out of us, we would have continued to wander the woods. I hate to think of what could have happened to us or if we were the ones who found the remains first.

When I was about 10, I saw the aftermath of a guy dying in the back seat of our car. My dad was up on Murder 1 charges which was also pretty scary.

My dad totaled many vehicles mostly due to drunk driving. One night 2 strangers were banging on the door. My mom and I finally answered the door together when we heard one of them yell her name. They were holding up my dad, battered, bruised, broken, with his eyeball popping out and his eyelid split. He was drunk so the people brought him home to sleep it off so he didn't get a DUI. (yes, I see the absurdity in this scenario)

Just to clarify, we finally moved from that area when I was 14. I can't imagine what else I would have come across!

When I was 17, a neighbor tried to rape me. I set fire to his eyebrows and burned his face as much as possible.

There are actually more, but I'm sure you pretty much think I'm crazy as it is!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

something shiny, I am sorry you had such terrible and traumatic experiences as a youngster :(sad
Parts of my upbringing weren't exactly a beach, but not to the extent of your stories..
Do you mind if I ask what city/area this was in??

I just remembered another one, triggered by your 'most wanted' story..but this is more just gross than anything.
When we were really young (probably my older sister would have been no more than around 7 or 8, I'm the middle than there's my younger),we were playing Barbies on the front porch of our house.
We grew up in a nice, family-oriented suburb, with leafy streets and pretty much zero crime.
A scungy looking guy began walking down our street, on the opposite side from our home where we were playing - he kept staring at us and pretty much just looked like a scum-bag..so than he walked into the small car bay area at the front of the units directly across from our house, pulled down his pants and...well, seeing as we were just young girls, we thought he was peeing...
but I think you can guess what he was really doing :knockout:

I guess my older sister had an instinct that something wasn't right, so she ran inside to tell my mum, who called the police - but the guy had already run off and I don't think they found him.

yeuck!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock

We lived in the suburbs and rural areas around Dallas for several years. These all happened in one area within a matter of about 3 years.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

lulu said:
Remember, ghosts are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Someone once told me that about spiders. The little buggers still chase after me though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results