shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a sapphire...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
much too dark. I had one like that from him and it is really black unless i shine a penlight into it.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Vapid
I thought it would be, but darn it the search continues.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
not sure it matters, but I agree. Too dark :tongue:

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pressure cooked is best, especially if they are simmered for a few days. I would suggest finding a stone which is either a modern Barion cut or has a deep step cut pavilion and a much lighter tone. Pear shapes are very hard to find with anything approaching even coloration since the tips tend to be much darker than the rest of the stone. Deep pavilions help to even that out, but can only be done on light to medium toned stones. Try to get a side view when looking at picture of stones, as this will give you a much better idea of how it was cut as well as any cross axis colors.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
That's a good idea what Michael suggests. Do keep in mind that a deeper barion cut will weigh heavier for the same footprint.

These two stones are on the same page but there are two sections for sapphire one near the top of the page and the other near the bottom.

http://www.djraregems.com/finegems.html

treensapph.jpg

treensappph.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys, this really helps. I like the acs pear but it's a little too chunky. I like the elongated one better. Heated is ok but I don't want to set off a Geiger counter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I’d keep looking around for a different pear because the first one is too dark and will probably black out in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m afraid so; the window tilt is huge so I expect there to be some actual windowing too at a 50% depth. In terms of saturation, you’ve gone to the opposite spectrum and selected something really lightly coloured so the blue colour is cold and steely.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Should I just have one cut?

What do you think of this one? It is heated.

corn-flowers-blue-gem-sap-00835-l.jpg

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I like that one best of the sapphires you've posted so far, but I don't think it's perfect. It looks like there's an inclusion going on at the tip (to me it resembles tree roots stretching down toward the middle of the pear) which might be an issue if it's distracting in real life. The cutting's not bad though and the color is pretty good (although the way it lightens up toward the bottom seems a touch unusual, which again, might or might not be distracting or even noticeable in real life).

If the price is right, it could be worth a look. If the price is not really good I would probably keep searching.

(sorry! I'm on a sapphire search myself and I'm not having much better luck finding the Perfect Stone.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The AJS pear looks like a happy medium between the 3 that you’ve looked at. Depending on your budget and requirements, you can either keep looking or stick with this one. I don’t think the inclusion is going to be noticeable in person (not magnified) and the cutting is decent enough. The darkening at the tip is normal for pear cuts, so I don’t know if this is going to bother you.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
Laine the price is good almost too good. Fi is supposed to be helping pick this and keeps saying he like the Australian parti-colored sapphires better arrrgggh. I can't find any.

Chrono I like this one too, but read above.

Maybe Montana?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results