carat
color
clarity

hair cut this afternoon...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My appointment to get my hair cut is today. :-o

I want about 6 inches cut off (that will bring it to about the bottom of my shoulder blades (mid-back)) and gently layered.

FI mentioned a "wave".... "It isn't needed but it might be nice."

My hair is STRAIGHT -- and fine. Doesn't hold curls well (the horror stories I could tell of attempted perms :errrr: ...)
How do I get a "wave"? Is this something the salon should do or is it something I should get an iron for and have to do daily?

I'm open to other style suggestions too -- I don't want to go much shorter than mid back (longer than shoulder length) because I don't want to get stuck with a shorter hairstyle for my wedding next summer.

My hair is currently longer than any of the pictures I'm posting (I can sit on it if I'm not careful).

on ferry.jpg

blockparty better.JPG

HPIM4436 - Copy.JPG

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmmmmmm... If you hair is straight ( as it looks on your picture ) don't get a wave perm.
you'll HATE the way it looks when it grows out and that part isn't curly/wavy. It is possible to retouch a wave, but it
takes a skilled stylist to do that as you don't want to re-re-re-re-re perm the parts below the growth. It is damaging to the hair! And with your wedding next year - ... I wouldn't venture that way. Your hair at the moment looks so healthy!

Have you thought of maybe adding a little bit of highlights? Cutting your hair with light cascading layer would be a great playground for little glimpse of color!!! THat would be a lot less committing than a wave...

Just my opinion.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethyste said:
Hmmmmmmmmm... If you hair is straight ( as it looks on your picture ) don't get a wave perm.
you'll HATE the way it looks when it grows out and that part isn't curly/wavy. It is possible to retouch a wave, but it
takes a skilled stylist to do that as you don't want to re-re-re-re-re perm the parts below the growth. It is damaging to the hair! And with your wedding next year - ... I wouldn't venture that way. Your hair at the moment looks so healthy!

Have you thought of maybe adding a little bit of highlights? Cutting your hair with light cascading layer would be a great playground for little glimpse of color!!! THat would be a lot less committing than a wave...

Just my opinion.

I love the idea of highlights. My hair has pretty much always looked really flat to me -- I even tried coloring myself for a couple of years.

Highlights have to be touched up every 2-3 months?
I've always thought this would be super expensive to do. What should the initial highlighting and then the touch-ups cost? (round about --- I'm in the same area as you (Bellevue/Redmond/Sammamish)

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Postpone any chemical "wave" treatments for another day. It's too damaging to do on a whim because some guy (albeit a cute one, whom you love, yet is not a haircare pro) suggested it.

As for the fine/straight issue, the Q which comes to my mind is what products are you currently using? Which shampoo? Which conditioner? What products do you apply at the roots for styling (if any), what products do you apply post-shower currently (if any), and during/post styling (if any)?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fleur-de-lis said:
Postpone any chemical "wave" treatments for another day. It's too damaging to do on a whim because some guy (albeit a cute one, whom you love, yet is not a haircare pro) suggested it.

As for the fine/straight issue, the Q which comes to my mind is what products are you currently using? Which shampoo? Which conditioner? What products do you apply at the roots for styling (if any), what products do you apply post-shower currently (if any), and during/post styling (if any)?

Chemical curling I'm REALLY reluctant to do. I'd consider some sort of an iron or something but chemicals don't do well in my hair (color is fine). I've tried for a long time to get my hair to curl (perms) but it just isn't happening that way so I'm trying to deal with my straight hair (or look at what I can learn to do with an iron).

Currently I use nothing except (and this is ONLY because it doesn't make me sneeze and I got sick of looking for something different) VO5 shampoo and VO5 conditioner (both the volume enhancing -- least scented I could find).

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I get a "chemical wave" OK, a body wave perm, every 6 months or so AND I color my hair a glorious burnished auburn. It's just past my shoulders and down my back. I gets tons of compliments on it, EVEN from my huh? ya did something to your hair? husband.

I condition it religiously, wash the chlorine out of it immediately if I go in the pool/spa. A benefit from my procedures it that I spend darn little time on my hair and NEVER have to use a dryer/styler so I don't have to worry about heat damage.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
My hair is like yours, fine and straight. I color over my natural ash blonde with the same level of gold blonde to give it a nice glow. The ion products from sally beauty supply are amazing. I also bought a chi hairdryer (it really is way better) and have had nonstop compliments about my hair. I'd say cut it with some soft layers and switch up your beauty products

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkly Blonde said:
My hair is like yours, fine and straight. I color over my natural ash blonde with the same level of gold blonde to give it a nice glow. The ion products from sally beauty supply are amazing. I also bought a chi hairdryer (it really is way better) and have had nonstop compliments about my hair. I'd say cut it with some soft layers and switch up your beauty products

Sparkly Blonde, since it sounds like you have the same type of hair as TooPatient, would you be willing to share the specific products you use with her, as well as detailed descriptions as to how you use them to amp your hair up to its gets-compliments-from-strangers best?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fleur-de-lis said:
Sparkly Blonde said:

Sparkly Blonde, since it sounds like you have the same type of hair as TooPatient, would you be willing to share the specific products you use with her, as well as detailed descriptions as to how you use them to amp your hair up to its gets-compliments-from-strangers best?

That would be wonderful if you are comfortable sharing.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
No problem. It will be a few hours until I can get home to my computer. That's too much typing for my cell phone :razz:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Wanted to add...highlights in southern Idaho run $70 and up. Middle class house is about $160,000 if that gives you an idea of costs compared to your area. I wouldn't do bangs either. They're a PITA and love to frizz on fine hair :(

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly Blonde said:
Wanted to add...highlights in southern Idaho run $70 and up. Middle class house is about $160,000 if that gives you an idea of costs compared to your area. I wouldn't do bangs either. They're a PITA and love to frizz on fine hair :(

Thanks. That helps. I think I'll ask about it but will probably do myself.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
TooPatient said:
Sparkly Blonde said:

Be careful doing highlights on yourself - they are much more difficult than all over color. A trained stylist will be able to blend them into your natural color, and have them look natural. The one time I tried to do my own highlights I ended up with a skunk stripe across my hair that I had to pay twice as much to have fixed!

I do think highlights would be lovely in your hair though!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stephb0lt said:
TooPatient said:
Sparkly Blonde said:

Be careful doing highlights on yourself - they are much more difficult than all over color. A trained stylist will be able to blend them into your natural color, and have them look natural. The one time I tried to do my own highlights I ended up with a skunk stripe across my hair that I had to pay twice as much to have fixed!

I do think highlights would be lovely in your hair though!

Thanks for the warning. I was just thinking about how I could control and blend the color.....
Hmmmm..... Maybe not the best idea to try it myself for the first time.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay....

Time to go to the salon :errrr:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I wish I saw this post eariler. I had very fine hair (before the gray came in). I don't recommend any kind
of layers in the bottom of your hair. It just makes your hair look thinner. I was going to suggest that you have
your hair angled around your face up to a little below your chin and leave the bottom all one length. I think highlights
would be a good idea. You can get them so they can grow out and not be that noticable. That way you dont have
bad roots if you dont make it back to the salon in time. Also, the highlights help to coarsen up your hair a little and
make it seem a little thicker. The good news is that when you get older and the gray comes it its usually helps to
give your hair more texture (thickness) and body.

I'll see if I can find a haircut like I was thinking.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I highlight my own hair, I use the caps with the metal thing (I think it's Revlon frost and glow?) and I never have a problem. In fact, I think my highlights look better than when I was paying someone to do it. I'm a blonde that just needs a little touch up every now and then, or else my hair looks like it has zero dimension. Too many salons would get me tooooo blonde.

I think you can do it yourself as long as you are comfortable and careful.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, skip the wave... if you're worried about having your hair too short for something a year from now you definitely don't want a year grown out perm (a wave is still a perm but with large rods generally) on your wedding day. Then again, it could provide curl for an updo... Anyway, buy some hot rollers and put your hair in them before a sexy evening in and then who cares if they kink out in weird places or don't last.... they'll last long enough for him to have some fantasy curl :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333 said:
Oh no, I wish I saw this post eariler. I had very fine hair (before the gray came in). I don't recommend any kind
of layers in the bottom of your hair.
It just makes your hair look thinner. I was going to suggest that you have
your hair angled around your face up to a little below your chin and leave the bottom all one length. I think highlights
would be a good idea. You can get them so they can grow out and not be that noticable. That way you dont have
bad roots if you dont make it back to the salon in time. Also, the highlights help to coarsen up your hair a little and
make it seem a little thicker. The good news is that when you get older and the gray comes it its usually helps to
give your hair more texture (thickness) and body

ditto, especially the highlighted, except i'd go about 1/8 inch shorter in the back leaving the length in the front where you want it....when you move, your hair will appear one length but you'll get movement.

also, dry your hair with your head hanging down so your hair is headed away from your scalp to the floor. scrunch as you do it using some sort of volumizing product....but minimally.

i have had your hair all my life but now that i'm 'old' i have absolutely fab hair according to everyone. hair is just below shoulder blades and i do not have bangs. i dry my hair in front of the woodburning stove or out in the sun. the grey/white hair is much courser and is actually on the wavy side IF i do the scrunching thing.

i found that layering the ends was the absolute worst for my/our hair type.

MoZo

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
eta: I find it so interesting how many people don't like layering. Could it be just bad techinque on the stylists part? Or, that even though my hair is fine I have a lot of it? I've always been against layering for thicker hair as it doesn't seem to blend and flow well.

If you have very gentle layers done it lays nice and takes away the blunt edge look. My hair has been described several times as Baby Fine hair, though I have a TON of it!

Shampoo

http://www.sallybeauty.com/daily-shampoo/ION04,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair01

Conditioner - I bought the bottle. It is amazing just make sure to rinse throughly!

http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-repair-therapy/ION22,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

Silk Drops

http://www.sallybeauty.com/silk-drops/SBS-302704,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair04-08

Osis Dust It is excellent for adding volume and giving a sexy/messy look. I also use a large paddle brush when blow drying my hair to give it volume without curl at the ends (I hate curl). When blow drying, give it some time to air dry first. That way your not putting the heat on your hair for as long.

My Chi hairdryer makes a huge difference in the softness and how much my hair frizzes out. I was lucky and found one for half the regular price at Marshalls. When I feel like my hair is starting to look brassy I use Paul Mitchell's purple shampoo to tone it down. Really, not much to it aside from finding the right products for your hair.

Aveda makes excellent products too but they're more spendy and I'm too lazy to drive 30 miles out of my way to buy them :cheeky:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
OUpeargirl said:
I highlight my own hair, I use the caps with the metal thing (I think it's Revlon frost and glow?) and I never have a problem. In fact, I think my highlights look better than when I was paying someone to do it. I'm a blonde that just needs a little touch up every now and then, or else my hair looks like it has zero dimension. Too many salons would get me tooooo blonde.

Ah I didn't know that some DIY highlighting kits came with the cap - that would definitely help place the highlights better! The one I used didn't and disaster ensued. :lol:

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
stephb0lt said:
OUpeargirl said:

Ah I didn't know that some DIY highlighting kits came with the cap - that would definitely help place the highlights better! The one I used didn't and disaster ensued. :lol:

Haha I wouldn't dare do it without the cap, I'd look like a mess! Just make sure you find one with a metal hook, the plastic ones are too flimsy.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well....

Skipped the highlights for now until I can settle on a style (the picture TyTy posted is very close to what I think I'm after).

Cut about half the length off (still below shoulder blades -- comes about to elbows in front and a bit longer in back) and did gentle layers. I'm still torn about layers but my hair had so many unhealthy ends that I needed the layers to let her get all the dry/split ends off.

Bangs -- I'm still torn on these. My head looks strange without bangs (or at least it did last time I tried it) so I had her do bangs for me - thick enough to stay in place or poof up a bit.

I plan to go back after I've used some decent products in my hair for awhile. Maybe highlights then?

I'll post pictures when I get home.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333 said:
of layers in the bottom of your hair. It just makes your hair look thinner. I was going to suggest that you have
give your hair more texture (thickness) and body.

I love the picture you posted!
That is very close to what I was sort of thinking but having a hard time describing.

I'm torn on the layers. I've had layers that were AWFUL and left my hair looking really thin and :knockout: but I've had other layers done that actually helped it look a bit fuller. ---- I got gentle layers for now (mostly due to massive amounts of dry/broken/split ends) and it doesn't look any thinner than it did before. Not sure if I'll keep them next time though.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OUpeargirl said:

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look around and see what I can find.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra said:
I agree, skip the wave... if you're worried about having your hair too short for something a year from now you definitely don't want a year grown out perm (a wave is still a perm but with large rods generally) on your wedding day. Then again, it could provide curl for an updo... Anyway, buy some hot rollers and put your hair in them before a sexy evening in and then who cares if they kink out in weird places or don't last.... they'll last long enough for him to have some fantasy curl :)

When perms finally stick in my hair (which takes a LOT), the curls (at least loosely) stick around for a Loooooongg time -- and year old perm is just :-o :knockout:

Hot rollers are a good idea. -- I'll add them to my list of missing hair products.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie said:
ditto, especially the highlighted, except i'd go about 1/8 inch shorter in the back leaving the length in the front where you want it....when you move, your hair will appear one length but you'll get movement.

also, dry your hair with your head hanging down so your hair is headed away from your scalp to the floor. scrunch as you do it using some sort of volumizing product....but minimally.

i have had your hair all my life but now that i'm 'old' i have absolutely fab hair according to everyone. hair is just below shoulder blades and i do not have bangs. i dry my hair in front of the woodburning stove or out in the sun. the grey/white hair is much courser and is actually on the wavy side IF i do the scrunching thing.

i found that layering the ends was the absolute worst for my/our hair type.

MoZo

I'm going to give the scrunch/dry thing a try again tomorrow (with head down). I had been doing this for awhile but my hair got too long to reach if I did that and the ends were getting massive knots as I dried (due to the split ends?)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly Blonde said:
eta: I find it so interesting how many people don't like layering. Could it be just bad techinque on the stylists part? Or, that even though my hair is fine I have a lot of it? I've always been against layering for thicker hair as it doesn't seem to blend and flow well.

If you have very gentle layers done it lays nice and takes away the blunt edge look. My hair has been described several times as Baby Fine hair, though I have a TON of it!

Shampoo

http://www.sallybeauty.com/daily-shampoo/ION04,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair01

Conditioner - I bought the bottle. It is amazing just make sure to rinse throughly!

http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-repair-therapy/ION22,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

Silk Drops

http://www.sallybeauty.com/silk-drops/SBS-302704,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair04-08

Osis Dust It is excellent for adding volume and giving a sexy/messy look. I also use a large paddle brush when blow drying my hair to give it volume without curl at the ends (I hate curl). When blow drying, give it some time to air dry first. That way your not putting the heat on your hair for as long.

My Chi hairdryer makes a huge difference in the softness and how much my hair frizzes out. I was lucky and found one for half the regular price at Marshalls. When I feel like my hair is starting to look brassy I use Paul Mitchell's purple shampoo to tone it down. Really, not much to it aside from finding the right products for your hair.

Aveda makes excellent products too but they're more spendy and I'm too lazy to drive 30 miles out of my way to buy them :cheeky:

Thanks SB!

This is a good starting point. I've gone looking for different stuff before but there is just SO much out there and I didn't know where to begin.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So...how do you like your hair? I was going to suggest bangs but I see that others were saying No to the bangs.
Seems like to me you have a forehead that would work well with bangs.

Hope you like your hair or hope that its at least getting closer to what you think you want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results