shape
carat
color
clarity

Your 15 minutes of fame...

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Both of my brothers were interviewed Thursday night for the Phillies pre-game show (local news), and my one brother said "I'm glad my 15 minutes are up!"

So it got me thinking... do you have a '15 minutes of fame' story? Were you ever on TV, in the paper, or anything like that??

I was on the Bozo Show when I was 9 or 10. I played a stupid game and won an Etch-a-sketch. ::)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was on TV once when I got married, me and my 2 sisters got married at the same time and the local TV station was there, they interviewed my Mom & Dad and then they showed a shot of us all in the church while the minister was performing the ceremony, it was pretty darn sweet! and as a FYI 2 of us are still married, the other one got divorced and is remarried :twirl:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was Miss Tulare Co. Teen when I was a senior in HS. My school only had 375 students total and my town was only 2000 people strong, so that was a pretty big deal for a while.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Yaaay PHILLIES!

I did an MTV show once :)

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I'm on tv every day....we have an advertisement for my office that I'm in 8-) I play the client and my boss plays himself. Sometimes people will say that they recognize me but can't place me. Hahaha. Other than that I've never been on tv or a game show. DH has been interviewed for the news twice in the last year, and it has played on air each time. One time I was approached by a local news anchor to comment on some things going on in the city where I work, but I declined to say anything on camera even though they really thought I had good points.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I introduced the first lady Hilary Clinton when I was in 5th grade. She was doing some local tours and came and talked at our elementary school and since I was president of the student council at the time I got to introduce her. I was on the news and in papers and such.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I once worked for a Commonwealth organisation in London and I was invited by the Secretary General of the organisation to step in for Pacific Island nation that didn't have a High Commission representation in London, to present their flag at a ceremony at Westminster Abbey in the presence of Her Majesty (Elizabeth not Madonna).

It was quite a big deal to process down the aisle, along with all the other Commonwealth nations of course, and present the flag at the altar.
That's my 15 minutes and it's been anonymity ever since.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I've been on tv several times, all when I was a kid. A couple were for school events, but I was also in the paper and on tv a bunch of times when I was a dancer. I was cute at the time :tongue:

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I've been interviewed on some wedding shows on WeTv for "expert advice". Its always weird seeing myself on tv

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I are going to be on "What Would you Do?" this season. Or rather he is. I told them they did NOT have my persmission to show me and I would sue them if they showed me. I'm NOT interested in being onTV. He actually turned out to be the hero of the segment but I told them they better edit around me because there was no way on God's green earth I would consent to being shown.

Actually I looked like crap that day and didn't want anyone who knew me to see me.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really. I was in the paper and on the radio when I ran for Fair Queen in High School. In the paper when I worked at Culligan b/c it was the businesses 25 year anniversary in town, so they had a pic of the workers w/the boss & wife. In High School one of the tv stations in the Big City drove down to our rinky dinky school b/c one of the classes was doing some cool stuff w/computers (for yearbook I think?), so they put it in the paper and on tv--the funny thing was, myself and my friends (spiked hair, ripped jeans, heavy metal tshirt wearers, and some nerdy types thrown in) were the ones in the class doing it--but we were kicked out for the tv/newspaper feature and the "pretty/popular" group was taken out of whatever classes they were in at that time and told to just sit in front of the computers and pretend they were really doing stuff.

JD was in the paper when he fought in Toughman years ago. My brother was on tv last year or the year before b/c he and a bunch of other Navy guys did a walk to raise money for families of service members who had been wounded/killed.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'll be in an HBO documentary that isn't out yet, I don't know actually when it's scheduled to be released. Briefly. I'm soooo not saying what the subject is! I really am hoping my co-workers don't watch HBO documentaries much. I was interviewed together with my sister-cousin about two months ago (we were both fully awkward), and then the camera crew spent some time following us around after that. I realized later that we were pretty much the only two in the club who'd signed releases so undoubtedly some of the following-around footage will turn up... again with the hoping nobody I know sees it! :oops:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband has been on tv a couple of times as a special consultant. The kind where people have died and they need someone to answer technical questions. Not great.

I aspire to never be on tv, or have my family on tv because sometimes your 15 minutes is for something terrible. I'm pretty superstitious I guess. ;))

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
When the war first started, I did numerous tv interviews for several local news channels. I guess they wanted to make it more real for viewers to hear from the same person as things progressed. They interviewed and filmed me from the pre-war buildup through the fall of Baghdad and beyond. I was happy to do it if it helped others understand what military families go through...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh I hope not! The thought of any kind of fame makes me feel sick.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not my thing. My brother was on TV a lot, as an actor and did commercials...

BUT my son always seems to get on TV. Cracks me up. The funniest story I have, we were at the mall the day after Christmas... You know you go and return unwanted gifts... A reporter comes up to him.. ( he's cute and very out going ) They said what gift are you returning??? He said my grandparents gave me this ugly sweater... Held it up to the camera.. :o

I died.. And yes they saw it, even though they live in NJ!!!!

They didn't ask for my permission.. I had turned my back fo a nano second to get a bottle of water...

Well no more sweaters for him, LOL!!!!
:devil:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I don't have my own "15 minutes of fame" story, but I have a godson who has had a very busy fall as an extra on some prime-time televsion shows like Bluebloods, The Good Wife, and Law & Order: SVU. (If you look at the current home page for The Good Wife, you'll see him in the background at the table behind Chris Noth and Juliana Margulies; he's sitting beside Matt Czuchry, playing his assistant.) He's supposed to have a walk-on in this coming Tuesday's show, as the story arch continues.

I sat through the most gosh-awful show the other night, Running Wilde, just to see my godson in a party scene. He had several camera shots, including a walk past the main characters, which was a pretty good closeup shot. He won't get famous from extra work, but his mom and I are pretty darn excited anyway. :bigsmile:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I was in the paper a lot as a kid for various accomplishments. I was even on the front page when a group we had broke a world record! I was on a TV game show when I was a kid called Sparkle. It was all trivia questions and a group of 3 students competed another group of 3. I remember being totally mortified when I answered a question incorrectly because "everyone knew how stupid I was!"

I have no desire to be on TV ever again. I think I may be scarred!! LOL

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
One New Years Eve my BF and I wanted to go dancing.
All the hard rock clubs we usually frequented were full up so we
decided to try a new place. The Jamaica Inn
Sounded like it might be Reggae.
We were seated right in front of the band and thought
ourselves fortunate till we heard the music.
As in "The Blues Brothers" they had both kinds
country and western.
Not our style but we made the best of it and actually
had fun.
Not long after people started telling us that we were on
TV. Although we weren't aware at the time they shot a
commercial that night and there we were two rockers
doing the Texas Two Step for all to see.

I also had a write up and picture in eBay Magazine.
The last issue before they folded.
I THINK that was just a coincidence.

My cousin Ryan has had more than 15 minutes.
He was Harry in "Freaky Friday" and Benji in "How To Eat Fried Worms"
and played Tom Brooks on "Gary Unmarried".

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Coincidentally, the preview for the aforementioned documentary came out yesterday. They put me in it, a bit from the interview they did with me and my sister. If I'd known that moment was going to be plastered all over the net, I think I would have made a slightly different fashion choice...

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Not me, but my sister appeared on American Bandstand back in the 1970s.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Back in my hometown I was a cheerleader in college. They decided to put a big banner on the side of a city bus advertising for the college I went to. Apparently the perfect picture to use was one of me during a homecoming parade clapping with my mouth hanging open lol....this stupid picture was on the side of a bus for a year!! People would tell me how they would be sitting in traffic and look up at the bus and see my face haha. It was really surreal!!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring said:
gosh I hope not! The thought of any kind of fame makes me feel sick.

Agreed.

. . though I might agree to an NPR interview if they wanted to talk about my research.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh said:
Not my thing. My brother was on TV a lot, as an actor and did commercials...

BUT my son always seems to get on TV. Cracks me up. The funniest story I have, we were at the mall the day after Christmas... You know you go and return unwanted gifts... A reporter comes up to him.. ( he's cute and very out going ) They said what gift are you returning??? He said my grandparents gave me this ugly sweater... Held it up to the camera.. :o

I died.. And yes they saw it, even though they live in NJ!!!!

They didn't ask for my permission.. I had turned my back fo a nano second to get a bottle of water...

Well no more sweaters for him, LOL!!!!
:devil:
Oh my gosh, hilarious!! Boys!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I was in a commercial for my previous employer.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in the studio audience at a Donahue Show years ago and stood up to make a comment on the topic being discussed. The topic was "is flirting cheating?" which particularly hit home for me.

My husband and I were in the studio audience at two Value Vision live events and because the show hosts knew us, we were drawn into a few seconds of conversation with them while on the air throughout the shows.

CourtLynB

Rough_Rock
My 2 minutes of fame:
In 2003, MTV did their summer beach house in the Hamptons on Long Island (very close to where I live). It was senior cut day in HS and we all went down to one of the beaches out on Dune Road. After a while, a couple of us decided to take a walk down the beach and we came to the MTV house. We were all staring up at it and then I heard someone calling my name. Turns out one of my brother's friends was working security there for the summer. He got us all up on the deck and they were taping TRL. I got asked to take part in one of the games they were doing. Of couse, when it aired I looked horrible cause I was wearing a bikini with a black zip up over it. I really wish I had some shorts on......I'm really thankful they never re-played those shows. Since I had to sign some forms, they got my contact info and would call to ask me to be in the audience of other shows. I never did it, it usually interferred with my beach time. :sun:

That whole summer I would turn on the TV and see someone I knew in the background of the shows.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I was a politician until I stood down at the elections in May this year so I got rather more than 15 minutes... some good, some bad, most boring. One of the weirdest ones I did was a 25 minute interview on 'negative campaign strategy' for a news network in Ghana - why they were interested in UK politic I don't know! :confused: :confused:

Also did quite a lot of modelling in my younger days but that didn't really have my name attached to it...

DH does a lot more TV and newspaper stuff as a political commentator and writer - although he doesn't have to mind what he says like I had to! :bigsmile:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I was an extra in a music video during my college days. This was a boy band that was popular in Asia. They picked us from some of the club goers at an LA club, and told us to report for video shoot on a Sunday morning. It was weird dancing on a Sunday morning.....

I was also in several print and video promotions at a former job.

When I was a teen I also recorded a 2-piano piece which was broadcast on a radio station in South Africa (does this count?)

Now I get my "hour of fame" 3 sundays out of the month where I stand on stage and lead worship.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The thought of fame makes me feel ill. I can't imagine how trapped really famous people must feel; I would truly hate it.

I was in the local papers a bunch of times in high school for sports and school activities and being on the court for various dances. Definitely nothing big. Oh, and in the second grade my class was filmed for a short news bit about the dangers of suntanning and they showed me raising my hand for about two seconds. My big moment!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results