shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom diamond and Van Craeynest setting--questions

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very new to all of this so please bear with me! My boyfriend and I are looking at rings and I'd like a little advice. We are most likely accepting a diamond of my grandmother's that has been offered to us. Since I love the idea of using my family's diamond as I become a part of his family, I will basically be accepting this diamond unless it is hideous. I don't know much about it except that it is round and about 1 carat. I will be seeing it on Sunday, and hope to get some pictures for the PS experts to evaluate! We will also have an appraiser look at it if we accept it.

Since my original plans involved princess cuts, not rbs, I am now diving headfirst back into the search for the perfect setting (just when I thought I knew what I wanted!). I looked at about a million, and had a new "favorite" every day, for several weeks. Then I saw this wedding set posted by badgerskunk:

file.jpg

...and since then there have been no new daily favorites, because I can’t take my eyes off of it. Literally. I have this picture on my cell phone and I take it out and just…stare at it a few times a day. I see it at night when I lay down and close my eyes. When I wake up, I grab my cell phone and look at it again. This is before coffee, breakfast, or brushing my teeth. Can you tell I like this setting?

It’s by Van Craeynest, and I know there are at least two other PSers who own it in platinum, and several others who have experience with VC. So my questions:

1) Do you think this setting can accommodate a 1 carat center stone? More importantly, do you think it would look good? I’ve only seen it pictured with small stones. It looks really lovely with the smaller stones! VC’s website lists a similar setting that specifically says it is intended for “larger stones,” but the band looks wider and I’m not a huge fan of the surprise diamonds in that one. For me, less is more. I like the tiny diamonds in the flowers on this one, but don’t really want any more. I’ll e-mail VC and ask this question, but I wanted to do some preliminary recon and get opinions first.
2) I live about an hour from NYC, and there are two jewelers, Clay Pot and Greenwich Jewelers, that apparently carry Van Craeynest settings (though they don’t picture this setting on their websites). Can you give me an idea of the pros and cons of ordering directly from VC versus going through a jeweler? What would you recommend? I’m new to this whole idea of shipping diamonds and rings across country, and it’s…scary.
3) If this set turns out to be completely out of our price range, which looks like a possibility, can anyone recommend a similar style? If anyone has an idea about the price of this setting and doesn’t mind sharing, that would be wonderful as well. We’ll get a quote once we have the diamond in hand, but for now, I wanted to get a general idea.

Any and all Van Craeynest or related advice is most welcome. I know at least one recent poster had serious problems with a garnet VC set, which is troublesome. So negative feedback is welcome, too. But I still can’t take my eyes off of this set.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I don't see why it couldn't accomodate a larger stone, I think it will look great! I like a band thinner than the diamond in most cases.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that set would cost in the $5000 range. Is that doable for you?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I think this would be the size for 1 ct stones as well, the larger version looks to be for a LOT larger stones. Also prongs are pretty accomodating.

As far as similar settings? There really aren't any. VC is in pretty much a category of it's own in terms of production techniques. Your best bet would be to stalk ebay, Jewels by Erica Grace, local antique stores etc for a genuine antique. A die struck, hand pierced, hand chased and hand engraved setting (which is the way VC makes their stuff) is pretty much only found either in antique pieces or by VC. That's it. Luckily a 1 ct stone is a pretty common size of antique setting and you could probably locate one you liked eventually. Would take some footwork and some luck though.

Also Greenlake Jewelry does fabulous engraving- as good as antique IMO, and I'm super picky- but they don't do chasing, die struck pieces or piercing. However if I were to get a modern setting, it would be between Greenlake and VC. So you might check them out, their stuff might tickle your fancy if your taste is similar to mine, which it sounds like it is. Good luck! I do adore Van Craeynest's work.

Oh and yes, I would go through VC directly. When I enquired with a local jeweler about VC settings they marked them up ridiculously. I mean, they're expensive to begin with, but holy crap they added a huge premium. But you may want to cruise a local jeweler that carries them just to see them in person. Settings look unbelievably different in person and on your hand. I think a lot of us have discovered that one the hard way!

ETA: I adore VC but have never bought any of their pieces because of the cost. I've always found antique settings that are made with the same technqiues that are a fraction of the cost and have gone with those instead, every time I've seriously considered VC. For instance it took me a year but I found a bezel set c.1920s platinum pierced die struck setting with about 1 ct of melee and hand engraving for $700, to fit my 3.5ct OEC. With a 1 ct stone you can find a *lot* more options.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
I think a one-carat would suit that setting very well -- but the best person to consult with for all and any ideas or questions is Larry himself. He does business the old-fashioned way, there's no sales pressure and he is (in my experience) unfailingly delighted to discuss the details of a project with you. If you're worried about the proportion and the extra diamonds, don't be! :) -- the whole can be modified in any direction you'd like (and usually at no extra cost).

I would deal with VC directly, it's easier and more cost effective, and I wouldn't bother at all with e-mail queries. If/when you reach a decision on exactly what you'd like done the procedure that I use is: Send out stone with check for the full amount using an outfit like Pakmail (so that it can be fully insured). Request similar shipping (overnight, fully insured) on the way back for hassle and worry-free transport.

I can only hope you go for it and be thrilled with the result. The set you've picked is called the 'Acanthus' -- a Grecian/Victorian flower motif symbolizing death and rebirth (according to cursory google search :razz:). Best of luck with the project and I hope the inherited diamond does it for you! :)

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much! This is actually quite a relief to read (so far!). That the prongs can accommodate a larger diamond, that the set would run around 5k (that's near the upper end of our budget, but should be doable if we're not buying a diamond), and that going directly through VC is the best option...all really good to hear. And I will keep on eye out for other antique settings, Greenlake Jewelers, and artcarved just in case we can't do this one, or in case we decide against the stone when we see it this weekend (it would have to be pretty horrible for us to turn it down, and knowing my grandmother's tastes, it's probably not horrible!). I really appreciate your input. This whole process is a bit overwhelming and scary for me, but I'm glad to have somewhere to turn.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
I really recommend asking for a price-quote from Larry -- you might be surprised at the variance from the expected, we have been sometimes! Best :)

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Will definitely do that as soon as I have the stone. Thanks!

sapphire.panda

Rough_Rock
Are you thinking of getting a matching wedding band for your fiance? It's on sale 50% off here:

http://www.skaletfamilyjewelers.com

Click on the Van Craeynest thumbnail, then on "gent's rings".

The ring is a size 10, but I read in the "Show me your VC" thread that VC can resize their rings. I would love to get this as an upgrade for my husband, but he wants a titanium & meteorite band.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks sapphire.panda! I love the VC men's rings, but my boyfriend is like your husband: he wants titanium. He prefers very plain bands. Any gemstones or engraving he views as "girly." He wasn't a fan of the set I chose for myself at first, either, and for a while I moped and sadly looked for something else, because I felt that we should really get something we both liked. Then we talked about wedding dresses and tuxes and realized we have very different taste in formal clothing, too. So I was even sadder. That's when we decided to say eff it, I'll get what I like and he can get what he likes, and we'll love each other anyway!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is tremendous pressure applied in the setting of a stone, and you generally do not have to worry about a reputable jeweler setting a diamond. When soft stones are set (such as colored stones other than sapphire or spinel), there is a MUCH greater risk that a stone will be scratched or chipped regardless of who sets it. There has been a scratch on a colored stone by Leon Mege before. So I wouldn't give a second thought to having VC set a diamond.

I love those rings especially in platinum! They'll cost slightly less if you have them done in yellow or white gold. Another thing to keep in mind is that if the family stone is not well cut, there is a possibility that it could be recut. So absolutely do not do anything about a setting until you are sure you'll use the stone as is or have it recut to a smaller size to improve the cut and performance. VC will use a head that fits the size of your stone, and I am sure the smaller size ring will be fine for a 1 ct. stone. And I would also deal directly with VC. Insurance is used for sending stones and jewelry back and forth, so there are really no worries unless the item cannot be replaced.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Blacksand please read how they decided to deal with the situation, not just the fact that they damaged the stone, you'll get the full picture.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results