shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Mozambique paraiba tourmaline in Leon Mege French cut ring

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Re: Mozambique paraiba tourmaline in Leon Mege French cut ri

Oh my!! That is one beautiful ring. Gorgeous color!! Ahhh, and the setting. A perfect combination. I will look forward to seeing that one in person. You must be very pleased!!

I just took another look. I love the basket and the kite set frenchie. So pretty!

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. I am glad you like my ring. Leon did an amazing job. The total weight is around 1 carat for 14 French cuts, 6 on each side and 2 in the gallery. The round pave in the gallery weigh ~0.2 carats. The shank tapers from 5 mm to 1.5 mm. This ring is not as delicate looking as my Mahenge spinel with the split shank halo, but since it is a bigger stone and channel setting requires more metal, the proportions look right. The tapered French cuts are amazing, but quite expensive, because they have to be custom cut according to the layout Leon requested. There is more curve to the outline of this set of tapered French cuts, compared to the set used for Wintotty's ring. I paid Leon a visit in person in July. At that time, I had pictures of the stone to show him, but I did not have the actual stone yet. I told him I have enough halo rings already, and I wanted something different for this one. He suggested the French cuts and he showed me a set that was going to be made into earrings. He said he was expecting a set in a few weeks that may work for my stone. When he received the stones, he sent me a picture of my stone with the layout. He thought this set was perfect. I thought it may look better if the first trapezoid is a bit bigger. However, I did not want to wait a few months for another layout to be cut. So I told him to go ahead. I told him I wanted double claws and pave in the prongs and gallery, but I wanted a unique element. He suggested to add one French cut to the gallery. I also asked for one more stone on each side of the shank to get more finger coverage. He called back in a few days to let me his cutter in Israel has 4 more stones that would work. So that was it. It took about 8 weeks after I signed the work order before I received the finished ring. I tried to get Rachael to send me pictures before she shipped the ring, but she never did. The ring turned out very well and the color of the stone actually looks better now compared to when it was loose. However, I did get a few surprises. I was expecting to see the first trapezoid French cut looking top down. But due to the size of the stone, and the curvature of the shank, I cannot. From the side and all other angles, the ring looks great. The second surprise is I was expecting double claws, but I got double prongs and double claws. This was my fault as the double prongs were stated on the work order, and I misunderstood. So I didn't get the petite double claws, but just small double claws. Actually, the double prongs and the single French cut make the gallery look unique and probably the extra metal helps to enhance the color of the center stone. So I am happy with what I got. The labor cost of this setting was less than my other split shank pave halo ring, but the French cuts cost a lot more per carat than the round paves. So the final cost was more. Since Leon misquoted me less that what he should have for the labor, I don't think it will be fair to him to reveal the exact price here. Below are more pictures. My hands are ugly, so I only took a few hand shots.

AN

Paraiba-012s.jpg

IMG_5630s.jpg

IMG_5624s.jpg

IMG_5626s.jpg

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock

Asscher_girl and swingirl: Glad you like my ring. We should have a GTG soon so I can show you IRL. Darrren McClung will be having a few trunk shows in November and December. Perhaps we can plan a GTG when there is one going on.
More photos below.

AN

IMG_5658s.jpg

IMG_5660s.jpg

Paraiba-007s.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Amazing ring, many congrats :appl:

I have to ask: where did you get that fabulous stone?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

Yowza!!! :shock: :love:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, that is one stunning ring, I just love the color and the setting is just amazing :love:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

I am in love, your ring is beautiful!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wow! Just wow! That ring is perfection! Gorgeous! I love the details of the basket (or the gallery...I never know what to call it)...and the french cuts with milgrain are tdf! Wear it in good health!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just spectacular, in every way. Both the stone and the workmanship is something most people can only dream of.

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock

absolutely lovely!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I adore the double prongs and the double claws - the proportions are a delight. And that little hing of a sparkle that you get from the pave on the prongs from the top-view? Perfection! The color of the stone is amazing - I love paraiba for that weird almost glow it has. Wear your beauty in good health!

P.S. - Your hands are lovely and elegant! More hand shots!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

That is sooooo beautiful. I love it!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I've been back three times just this morning to look at this amazing creation!!! Sheer magnificence!!!!!

Love Street

Shiny_Rock

^ Me too - back three times to marvel at this work of art. WOW WOW WOW!!! Thanks sharing the stats and story of its creation (I'm working with Leon for the first time so every anecdote really helps me). It's so gorgeous! And your pictures are great - thanks for posting more! If you want to post even more, I don't think I could get tired of looking at this.... That color is absolutely mesmerizing!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That ring is pure SEXY! I think the split prongs really add something special and are perfect for a stone this size!

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock

Hi All: Thank you again for all your nice comments. I have waited a long time to own a paraiba ring and I love it. The color is not the most expensive 'windex' color, but I actually like a bit of green which makes it look more turquoise, one of my favorite color. The stone is mesmerizing, and quite dangerous when I am driving. It glows when the light is behind me and I can't help staring at it. I will post a few more pictues tonight as I cannot play on Pricescope when I am at work.

Leon was pleasant with me. When dealing with him, it is better to trust his judgement and not dictate too much. However, he is getting too popular, and have made a few errors in recent P'ers orders. His work orders are quite technical. Ask questions if you are not sure about anything.
AN

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

The color, the prongs, the setting in every way is sheer perfection. Absolutely stunning! You lucky girl!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have no words . . . opening this thread quite literally took my breath away!!!!

It's simply magnificent!!!!!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

Utterly gorgeous!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock

One of the most amazing rings I have ever seen. Beautiful craftsmanship and the colour of the stone is amazing.

piratefan

Shiny_Rock

Just HAD to come back to oogle some more and so glad I did because you posted more pics :appl: Really this is THE. MOST. BEAUTIFUL. COLORED. STONE. RING. EVER!!!! You could NEVER post too many pics of this beauty!!! :sun:

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Hi AN, yes a GTG would be lovely. We have to do one before the end of the year. I'll have a little shiny surpise too :bigsmile:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Wow, your ring is stunning. Congrats!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock

Wow - that ring is just breathtaking! I love the color of your stone and the setting is just divine! You are so lucky to own such a beautiful piece of art!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock

Oh, my goodness! I die! I die!

This ring is one of the most gorgeous I've ever seen. I can't even imagine how spectacular it must look in person. Wow.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

This is absolutely gorgeous! The stone is fantastic, but I could stare at the beauty of the gallery all day. And it looks beautiful on your hand.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock

It's gorgeous!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock

Wow. WOW. Wooooooowwww.

Speechless :cheeky: :love: :love: :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium