shape
carat
color
clarity

amazon registry?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think registering at amazon.com is tacky?

I'm looking at the pots and pans I want at Macy's, and I'm looking at them at amazon, and the price is...different. Substantially different. Like, Macy's has a 12" pan for $90 and the same pan is $43.74 at amazon.

The vast majority of our guests are internet-savvy, and we would also register for items at a brick-and-mortar store, but I don't want to do anything inappropriate. My gut feeling is "kinda tacky!" but that instinct directly competes with "cheaper and free shipping!"

Thoughts please?

(obviously there will be no mention of a registry anywhere on any invitation whatsoever :)))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did a macy's registry. I rather regret it, honestly.

I'll just go ahead and assume people will get you gifts, even though it's not necessary, not to be expected, yadda yadda.

Everyone bought things off the registry *from* Macy's, which I wasn't expecting - I thought most might see what was on there and then go buy elsewhere/similar items elsewhere for less, but they didn't, and I know they paid a lot more than if we'd registered elsewhere.

We also only registered for what we truly wanted, and when the registry emptied and we didn't add stuff, assuming people who didn't buy off the registry would get creative elsewhere (or give cash, always appreciated!).. we got a *ton* of Macy's gift cards.

So now we have thousands of dollars of Macy's credit, and I cringe every time I want something, see the price at Macy's, see it listed for $50 or $100 or more less elsewhere...

On the other hand the local bed bath and beyond gave us cash for the few items we returned off their registry (we set up a BBB registry but hardly told anyone, but we still got a few doubles of things on the Macy's registry), which may be something to consider

Really though, the concept of registering for gifts in the first place is tacky, but the practice makes sense. So why should the concept of registering at an internet-based non-upscale superstore be any more tacky, if the practice makes sense? :halo:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I think that is an absolutely awesome idea!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, so interestingly, my friend was telling me that her FI is developing a website where you can register for the specific item, not just at a specific store. So if you register for some pan, and someone wants to buy it, they can click on it and it will take them to a link of a bunch of stores that sell it and show a price comparison. I don't think it's fully functional yet, but that would totally solve the problem that you're talking about!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I hope it's not tacky, since we plan on doing one! :shock:

I think it's a great idea, actually. First, because FI and I have a wide range of interests and things we would like to register for, plus FI is a Consumer Reports hound and only wants items that have done well...and those aren't necessarily at stores like Macy's or BB&B. Second (and possibly more important), because people have no choice but to ship the items from amazon.com, we're hoping they will ship them directly to us and it will cut down on any issues we may have suddenly having lots of gifts to somehow get home after the wedding (we're getting married in KCMO, but live in DC).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who registered on amazon. In her case it made sense, since she was getting married out of town, so most people (hopefully) knew to ship gifts to her home anyway. I think it's particularly useful when you've been established for a while. So instead of needing, say, ALL of your kitchen stuff, you need more random things...since you can find everything on amazon.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc, please forgive me for my rudeness. How tacky of *me*.

Yssie said:
::snip::Really though, the concept of registering for gifts in the first place is tacky, but the practice makes sense. So why should the concept of registering at an internet-based non-upscale superstore be any more tacky, if the practice makes sense? :halo: ::snip::
I think this is right. My mom, who has some funny ideas about etiquette ("you're having burgers at your wedding?!? why not just get married at a Burger King!"), wondered why everyone doesn't register at amazon. So it sounds good to me!

Now if I can keep FI from registering for absolutely ridiculous stuff...

A

Anonymous

If we register, it will more than likely be at amazon.com. Our wedding is out of town, and we've been together so long that we don't really need much "stuff" anyhow. :))

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:

Oh dear, I hope you weren't offended! :sick: ;(

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um said:
sillyberry said:

It's moments like these I really hate the interwebs. :lol:

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a great idea, personally. We're huge internet shoppers, so why not get a couple what they want at a great price and in the event they return the gift for whatever reason, not tie them down to one particular store at which they can use the credit??

Then again, maybe I am tacky because I didn't realize plastic water bottles or beer bottles at a reception were ghastly and a total no-no ! :shock: :confused: :blackeye: !

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Can you do something like the Universal Wishlist on Amazon with a gift registry there? So you can add Amazon stuff, but also stuff from other websites? I have no idea if that's possible but if so, that might work!

Btw, SB, details on the wedding planning girl! Have you chosen a venue yet? Are you getting married in Chicago, and when?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think as long as you register at a second place that is B&M you will be fine. I registered at 3 places LNT, Macys and Crate and Barrel. Now I wish I would have skipped Macys and LNT and done amazon instead.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:
vc10um said:
sillyberry said:

It's moments like these I really hate the interwebs. :lol:

WHEW! *wipes sweat from brow* Had me worried there for a minute, girlie!

MagsyMay said:
I think it is a great idea, personally. We're huge internet shoppers, so why not get a couple what they want at a great price and in the event they return the gift for whatever reason, not tie them down to one particular store at which they can use the credit??

Then again, maybe I am tacky because I didn't realize plastic water bottles or beer bottles at a reception were ghastly and a total no-no ! :shock: :confused: :blackeye: !

Oh, and MM...no worries. There will be beer bottles all over my reception...the venue only has I think Miller Lite on tap and we want to offer KC's Bouelvard Beer, which we can only get bottled...and most of FI's family will refuse to dirty up a glass when they prefer drinking from a bottle anyway!

zipzapgirl

Shiny_Rock
The big difference is that Amazon doesn't offer sales on really anything. Macy's has great one-day sales about once a month. Also, you get some credits for the amount of gifts you get (like 5%) and a completion discount (15% ish), so those are hidden benefits.

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
You should go for it, etiquette is important, but it shouldn't stop you from getting what you want especially when you could be saving the gifter money ::)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cousin registered at amazon as well as a brick and mortar. I wasn't offended and don't know of anyone who was.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results