shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you treat your body like your temple?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find it interesting that most of our responses focus on food and exercise. I have to say that I firmly believe that our stress levels have an enormous effect on our health. In fact, I know it.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Monnie, I love that song! "I want Junior Mints!"

Gah. I love Jimmy Buffett.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss said:

Hahahaha! He was "telling it like it is" long before Dr. Phil! He really is funny...have you read his books? He also has a fan in the novelist Carl Hiaasen who is a fantastic writer of fiction and when/if you read HIS books you will soon be able to tell that Jimmy Buffett's influence is abundant. Good stuff.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
princesss said:

Hahahaha! He was "telling it like it is" long before Dr. Phil! He really is funny...have you read his books? He also has a fan in the novelist Carl Hiaasen who is a fantastic writer of fiction and when/if you read HIS books you will soon be able to tell that Jimmy Buffett's influence is abundant. Good stuff.

Definitely read Buffett AND Hiaasen. I guess when you grow up a Parrothead, you just can't shake it. I went to the beach in May and texted M: "We've got a Jimmy Buffett concert DVD in, and I can see the beach from the condo. Is this heaven?" I think that about sums up my dream life.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss said:
monarch64 said:
princesss said:

Definitely read Buffett AND Hiaasen. I guess when you grow up a Parrothead, you just can't shake it. I went to the beach in May and texted M: "We've got a Jimmy Buffett concert DVD in, and I can see the beach from the condo. Is this heaven?" I think that about sums up my dream life.

LOL--my plan (as quoted in many a senior high school yearbook) was to graduate college and move to Miami where I would sit poolside and sip as many margaritas as the day would allow while soaking up the hot FL sun. It seems my life has taken many detours, but someday I dream that it is still a possibility!!! For now, I rely on JB music/concerts and CH novels to transport me to dreamland! Wait...wanna go live the dream together?? I'll bring the margarita mix--we have like 10 bottles of it behind the bar!!! :appl: :naughty: :bigsmile:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Circe - Just so you know, Dark Chocolate is recommended daily. It helps to reduce stress, prevent cancer and heart disease. I usually keep an organic dark chocolate bar around and have one square every other day.

Haven - You make a very good point. That's part of what has gotten me really stuck on yoga. It helps me to decompress, and relax my mind. I think about my body and it's placement and my breathing and I just let everything else go. It's also part of the reason I take time to pamper myself. Lotion, bubble baths, doing my nails, extra treatments for my hair, stretching, enjoying nice perfumes, are all things I do to pamper my body. I do think the fluids we take in are highly important. I also think sleep is one of the most important things we can do for our bodies. I think though that the answers in relation to exercise and food are because these are the main ways to keep our bodies in functioning order, so that it can support the other things we do to keep ourselves happy and healthy. Exercise gives us energy, keeps our organs functioning, and keeps our joints and muscles strong. Eating and drinking are our bodies' fuel. That is exactly what I think of when I make an eating decision, this is the fuel I am putting into my body to help it function properly. Would I pour mud into a truck's gas tank to keep it running? Would I feed a horse cake and ice cream and expect them to be able to work properly? No. So why would I do it to myself and expect the same?

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could definitely treat my body better than I do. I find that I focus more on how it looks than how it feels. :oops: I pay better attention to my body's needs now that I'm breastfeeding. Other than that, if I'm treating my body well, it's usually because of a specific issue and once that issue is resolved, I stop. For example, I can't go to the bathroom - I drink more water and eat more fiber. Once I *go*, I'm back to my old habits. I gain a few pounds, I eat better to lose them. I get a nasty hangover, I stop drinking. It's so hard to be proactive!

My dad, who is 62 years old, 150 pounds overweight and drinks every day often says to my physically fit, vegetarian husband " You might live longer or it just might seem like it!" :naughty:

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I take the "treat your body like your temple" in a different way. Meaning I wasn't promiscuous in my teen years, only a very few "lucky" and worthy ones got to see what was underneath my clothes, I respected myself, the way I dressed, etc, as those were the morals my parents instilled in me. But then again, I did meet my husband at 16, so its not like I had much opportunity to deviate from that. Haha.

However, in terms of health, no I dont treat my body like that. I eat whatever I want whenever I want in excessive quantities and have never worked out in my life. Fortunately, I maintain a size 2 because of good genes, but as someone pointed out, exercising and eating right shouldnt be about looks, it should be about taking care of yourself. Thats my problem, I am probably the most out of shape skinny person you'll ever meet. Haha. 8)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
About the point, that reducing stress has to be a factor in healthy living...

I don't believe that many people take on more stress than they would readily encounter, I believe that stress is a modern fact of life. I'm not talking about hostage negotiator or air traffic controller type stress, I mean paying the bills, not getting killed on the roads, health issues and life’s various crisis’s.

Daily life is, for the most part stressful and however zen you are or choose to try to be, stress finds a way in. Now I'm not talking about the extremes who choose to deal with that stress by hitting the bottle and worrying all night, just us regular folks who are trying to get through each day.

I caution to add that IMVHO those who say to ‘de-stress’ either have not felt the true weight of never-ending sh1t piling up or have had to resolve themselves to it because their own situation is chronic, but it is usually the former.

So I try to be healthy but for me reducing stress is not a factor I can choose - I don't take on stress - I don't need to. It finds me. But eating well and exercising I can choose.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results