shape
carat
color
clarity

Cupcake logistics

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
We are considering doing cupcakes instead of cake because we would like to do a few different flavors...but how would that work? We can't have everyone just walk up and choose their own cupcake, right? Do the servers bring around a tray with a few of each flavor to the tables?

How does this work without getting chaotic or messy :confused:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
lucyandroger said:
We are considering doing cupcakes instead of cake because we would like to do a few different flavors...but how would that work? We can't have everyone just walk up and choose their own cupcake, right? Do the servers bring around a tray with a few of each flavor to the tables?

How does this work without getting chaotic or messy :confused:

That's how we did it! There was a table set up along the side of the room that had our cupcakes on it. I made a sign that listed the four flavors - we had four obviously different colored icings so people could figure out what was what. (Chocolate cake with peanut butter icing, yellow cake with strawberry icing, almond cake with chocolate fudge icing, and carrot cake with cream cheese icing). People helped themselves, some to more than one cupcake. DH's boss admitted he tried all of them. :lol: I didn't hear about any logistical problems. We had 115 people there.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Steph, those flavors sound delicious :lickout: A couple follow up questions: How did you make sure everyone didn't crowd the cupcake table all at once? And how many extras did you get?

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
We did cupcakes too, and I can address the "crowding" issue. The reality is that most people won't hit the dessert table right away. Most people will go refresh their beverage, and then mingle a little and eye the dessert table, then grab one later. Half your female guests won't even touch them, ha!

When we discussed amount logistics with my cupcake baker, she said most brides order for 2 cupcakes a person. It's always an overorder, but then you can accomodate those people that eat four, because some people don't eat any.

Also, those little wrappers need to go somewhere. Either have servers walk around with trays to collect wrappers, or strategically place service trays for them to drop them on around the venue. Nobody was just dropping them on the floor or leaving them places, thank goodness, but they will walk around with them in their hands or try to leave them with the bartenders.

We had three 36-count cupcake trees and several small cake stands and dishes with a few cupcakes on them. There were two trees out at all times and one tree reserved in the back so the kitchen could pre-load it and bring it out when one tree got low. We had about 200 guests and nobody missed out on anything they wanted! :))

Edited to add: We let the staff have free reign on the extras at the end of the night. They were all gone after that! :lol:

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
My friend just had the cupcakes arranged on the cake table. People were free to grab one (or two, or three :)) at their leisure. Everyone seemed pretty full after dinner and there was never a mad rush, or any crowding whatsoever. I rather liked it that way. It seems like cake is always served way too soon.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I believe we ordered 17 dozen cupcakes, so we had 204 cupcakes. We ended up with about 3 dozen left over.

Like ts44 said, people did not all rush the table. There might have been a little bit of a queue when we first opened up the table, but it was never overwhelming. We had a candy bar as well that was on the opposite side of the room, and that was more crowded over the night than the cupcake table!

I didn't think about the wrapper issue - I didn't notice any laying around so I guess people were good about putting them on their tables or with the wait staff.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I've been to two cupcake weddings.

The first, they had a cupcake tree with 2 different kinds of cupcakes (vanilla on vanilla and red velvet) and the staff broke down the tree after the cupcake cutting and brought plates of 8 (4 of each) to each table.

The second, they had a 3-tier cake plus a groom's cake and 3 flavors of cupcakes. They did the formal cake cutting, took the cake in the back, sliced it an the groom's cake, and then set up a buffet table with everything on it and just kept restocking as things started getting low. There was really no line to speak of, and everyone got to choose exactly what they wanted!

FI and I will also be doing cupcakes, and we will just have them out as a cupcake buffet like in wedding #2.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can also have a cake and have each tier be a different flavor. Wedding cakes don't all have to be one flavor throughout.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for posting and running. Thank you all for the responses! This was extremely helpful and is making me excited for my cupcake tasting!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi lucyandroger! I made 150 cuppies for my best friend's post-wedding party last year. We chose Red Velvet with vanilla icing, Chocolate Mud with chocolate icing, and Vanilla with strawberry icing. We arranged them on 3 separate trees each holding 38, so there were a few left over just in case someone dropped theirs or stood on it :bigsmile: There were 80ish people at the gathering so we overcatered roughly 2 cuppies per person, but of course not everyone eats one, or some people eat one at the reception, then take another home, etc etc! I think approximately double the number is a good idea. She eloped in Thailand, hence the frangipani sugar toppers (they were FUN to make!)

Everyone gradually teetered up to the table to get their cupcakes, they were sensible about it, hence no chaos. It worked well! Everyone LOVED it, because they each get their own, custom individual serve in a shiny patty pan!
SO excited for you!! When's your wedding?? :appl: :appl:

RachnDamsParty 011.jpg

RachnDamsParty 010.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Andi, those cuppies are amazing!!! Want to do mine??? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww vc10um you're a sweetheart! I wish I could! :wavey:

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
DandiAndi - Those are BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for the inspiration photo! Our wedding is May 15th and our cupcake tasting is next month. I think we're going to do red velvet (my favorite), carrot cake (FI's favorite), vanilla/vanilla, and chocolate/chocolate. I just love the look of that cupcake tree!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results