shape
carat
color
clarity

Unfinished Settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to throw this here because of the high volume of people checking out this forum.

I ordered a very simple solitare for my g/f''s ering diamond. It came in yesterday, so we went to check it out before setting on Friday. When they brought it out, the gold was "unfinished" (looked Matted - if that is the proper word and spelling). It was more of a dull, bronzish look, instead of lighter and shiny. We told them that certainly is not what we want. Style yes, but not without the finish. The people at the store seemed a little clueless because they weren''t the people we were working with. Our salesperson is calling later today.

Question: Is it possible that is the way it comes, and needs to be "finished" by the jeweler, or did they just make a mistake in ordering?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wonka,

When gold comes out of the casting process, it's remarkably ugly. There is quite a bit of work remaining to be done on the piece before it's ready to be delivered to the customer. Most jewelers prefer not to show the piece to the customers in this stage because they don't want to mess with your imagination but it's not really something to be worried about.

Some stores prefer to buy unfinished castings and have their own employees to the finishing work. This can be for several of different reasons. Firstly, they may feel that their own workers will do a better job because they will be working on the piece individually rather than in an factory environment. Second, they may feel that they can do it cheaper. Third, you may have requested changes in the design that are best done prior to the finish stage.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Neil, you are so right about how ugly castings look fresh out of the mold. Yesterday I visited my jeweller to look at my ring-in-progress. It had arrived that afternoon from being cast and it sure was not very pretty at the time. The shape I expected was there, but not the finish (of course). The surface of the ring looks very much like Wonka has described. I'm glad I had a look at it though, because it gives me an appreciation for the skill and craftsmanship involved in the whole process. I wonder how long it take's someone to buff the ring to that marvelous mirror-like finish I am expecting?

Gale

Shiny_Rock
That's very interesting Dave. I wonder why I didn't ask about what the process is for finishing the ring yesterday? Indeed, there was the bump you mentioned from the casting tree. I am really, really looking forward to next week when the ring will be ready.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I can certainly understand why a jeweller would not want to share this stage of product development with a client. It is REALLY ugly at this stage - no finish, and no stone. He showed it to me because I am curious about the process and expressed an interest in seeing it after the casting. The whole process is fascinating, and it has really been fun seeing the ring develop from sketch to wax and now this. Hopefully someone will take some digital pics of the ring for me when it is finished - I would love to post them here on Pricescope. The insight people have provided through this forum has been very useful.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the responses to this process.

I received a call today from the salesperson from the jewelry store I am working with, and she said that the jeweler will finish the piece, that it was in a "semi-raw" state that I saw it in. So your ideas are pretty much how it turned out. I'm glad because I really thought something had gone wrong in the ordering process.

Appreciation to all for the input!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
When will it be ready Wonka? I enjoyed your post with the link to the photos!

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Oh...Friday I go in, and Friday it comes out
1.gif

So this weekend, when the sun shines bright, I will get started on a few more pictures for everyone
1.gif
My last batch of the ering diamond really stunk, but I think I have a handle on my old camera!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results