shape
carat
color
clarity

1.34 Tiffany Lucida

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hope2004

Rough_Rock
Hi, I just got engaged recently and received a Tiffany Lucida ring - 1.34carat, color I and VS1 clarity. I absolutely love the look and I know my fiance paid a lot for this ring. I have a size 4 finger (5''2) and it looked quite substantial on my finger when I first got it but now that I''m in my office (professional financial services firm, lots of yuppies), it''s starting to look a bit small when the people don''t seem to recognize that it''s a tiffany lucida ring and I get comments like "nice" or "pretty" I think they expected something bigger for me. One of the male colleague friends who is the only one that knows this is a Tiffany ring mentioned the high markup and was talking about the ring he got his wife from Bluenile (I know it was huge and great quality). Our engagement was quite spontaneous so we didn''t really look around and my fiance liked the idea of a Tiffany ring for our engagement, but now that some time has passed(2 weeks), I wonder if we had been better off purchasing at a reputable online jeweler such as Bluenile, etc. I''ve been doing some research on that website and noticed that I could have a notably bigger and "better" quality for the price that was paid for my ring or even for a less price. I need to have my ring resized because it''s a size 6 ring (and I''m 4) and have 30 days to do so (2 weeks remaining). Do you think it would be silly and hurtful to my fiance to suggest sending the ring back to the store and get something else from the online jeweler since this is the ring he proposed with? I''m only considering this idea because I have to part with the ring for a week to get it resized. I just would like to hear some of your opinions out there. Thanks!

reena

Ideal_Rock
wow that's a toughie. first of all congrats! and second of all don't worry about what the clueless people in your office think.

the real question is, do YOU love the ring, or would you actually be happier with a larger and perhaps better cut diamond without the name brand attached? if the answer is yes, and if you don't think he'd be offended, and if you're not hypersentimental about keeping THE ring he proposed with, i say go for it. but if you love what you've got, then stick with it.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know about where you live but around here a 1.34 carat ring is quite substantial!! I would keep the ring and be happy with it. It's not worth hurting your fiancee's feelings just to keep up with your co-workers and their snide remarks. How are you going to explain to him why you want something bigger and better? How will he take it? Do you think that he will be OK with you returning the ring for something "better"? Only you know him well enough to know how he will react.
How would you explain showing up at work with a bigger stone in a few weeks? Then they know that they had some influence. You said at first that you loved the ring until you got negative comments at work.

bigbadbuff

Rough_Rock
I agree with the others. My g/f will be getting a 1ct. soon and she will be a doctor in a couple of years... that is certainly on the low end for docs. Did I care about that though? Not enough to make me change what I wanted to do for her.

Bottom line is that if you're not happy with it you should consider changing it, but if you like it a lot keep it, your own opinion should outweight others by a long shot.

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Hmmmm...this is kind of tricky because from reading your post, it seems as if you're more caught-up in the size of your ring and what other people think more so than the fact that your fiance gave this ring to you as a token of his love with the intent of you becoming his wife. There have been so many men who have come to this forum worried that their future fiances will think that the diamond was not big enough. Most posters told them that as long as you give it to her from your heart, she will love it.

With all of that said, I think it's up to you and how you think your fiance will react. I was engaged in February, 2004 and I no longer have my original e-ring. My fiance and I picked it out together...it was just that in the end, we knew that we did not do our homework in becoming knowledgeable enough to purchase a diamond. So, although I initially suggested that we return the ring and get our money back, it was a mutual decision that the diamond was not a good one. So, now I have my new e-ring (got it yesterday) and am very happy. However, had I gone back to my fiance and said let's return it because the diamond is too small...then that would be another story. This is just my .02 Good luck!

A few posts that are very similar to your situation, you may want to read them:

"She Doesn't Like The Ring":
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-doesnt-like-the-ring.2792/

"People's Reaction to my Small Diamond Engagement Ring": https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/peoples-reaction-to-my-small-diamond-enagement-ring.12847/

P.S. You can always upgrade in a few years!

hope2004

Rough_Rock
I do love the simple, elegant look of Tiffany Lucida, but at the same time, I'm not that attached to the brand names and I know it is a lot of money so was just thinking about what was out there since I felt that we didn't look enough for the amount he was spending. I guess my style is such that I want the best value and as much as I think a Tiffany Lucida ring is beautiful, I feel as though I would have been happier with him spending a bit less and getting a "better" quality, bigger stone. Now I'm not looking to get a significantly bigger stone to the point where it was very noticeable (I was thinking of just a little over 1.5 carat princess or radiant), maybe I'm naive, but not too many people have looked at my ring closely so I would imagine it wouldn't be noticeable. But then maybe I don't know know the apperance diff between 1.34 and 1.5 since we didn't look around too much. I'm probably thinking a bit too much, since it was a very recent event, and I'm still quite excited over the whole thing and keep noticing diamonds everywhere!

reena

Ideal_Rock
i totally understand your sentiment.

despite what others have said, it seems to me that the problem is not that you don't like the ring cause you think the stone is "too small" or something--but rather you know that he spent a TON of money on it and you just want to make sure that he got his money's worth. i think that is completely understandable--for most people this is a huge investment, and it's something you're going to wear every day for a very long time. bottom line: you both should be thrilled with it. so IF you want to change, and IF you think he'd be cool with it, i personally think you should go ahead and do it.

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Sorry if I mistook what you said Hope, but from your first post, I got the impression you were more interested in the diamond size and what other people thought. However, from your second post, it seems that you're interested in your future fiance getting the most for his money...which I can truly identify with. In my situation, it was me who suggested that we surf the net for a diamond since I knew with our budget, I could get a much nicer and better quality diamond. So, yes, I see what you're saying...now that I've read your second post. I agree with Reena, if you think that your fiance will go for it, then let him know your concerns.

hope2004

Rough_Rock
No problem. I just feel like we didn't do the "best" we can for the amount that was spent. maybe I should be less practical and just feel good that I have a beautiful ring? I don't know what you all think about Tiffany Lucida pricing but from what I have seen (after the fact) the markup is quite high and I'm not that into Tiffany (Of course I like the notion of it, who doesn't? but not obsessed to the point where it has to be from Tiffany). I just like the Lucida because I always wanted the square look (although it's not exactly square like princess). And I'm quite surprised that nobody has recognized it on my finger quite frankly. I feel like if he spent that much on the ring, it would be nice to get some recognition for it but it seems like people only notice the size... I'm probably in a circle where 2 carat is the norm, crazy huh? I'm 30.

reena

Ideal_Rock
hey msbennie: i didnt mean to make it seem like what i said was directed toward you.
1.gif
and it seems like we agree about the best course of action!

hope: if you know, would you consider telling us what was spent on the ring? that way some of the "experts" (which do not include me!) might be able to give you a sense of what you'd be able to get for that amount from an online vendor. just a thought--don't feel compelled to share if you're not comfortable.

hope2004

Rough_Rock
Sure, I believe it was around $15,000.00.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - for that kinda money, you could get THIS 2.01ct G from WF & THIS platinum x-prong....
2.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
I hate to tell you this, but there are plenty high quality 2.0 ct I Color, VS1 clariy Princess diamonds that your fiance could have purchased from several different Pricescope vendors in the $10,000 - $11,000 range. Now, that doesn't include the setting...however with a simple lucida setting, that should only set you back no more than $1500.00, if that. So, total ring would have cost about $12,500. However, I truly like the round brilliants and in the right setting, they may look somewhat square. Also, many will tell you that don't worry buying something that you can't see. This means there are plenty eye clean SI1's out there which are a lot more reasonable in price....

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
I may not be very popular for saying this, but I would keep the ring he gave you. I don't know your fiance, but he may be hurt that you want to get a different ring. He may not say so. Seems that for him the Tiffany name meant something very special and he wanted to give your the best, which is what Tiffany was to him. Hope you work it out and congrats by the way.
10.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
also a good point. this is a real toughie. i think it will just depend on how you think your fiancee would feel. did you pick out the ring together, or did he select it all by himself? might be easier to broach the topic if it's the former.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope
with a $15,000 budget ,i would definitly call Jonathan at Good old gold and talk him about a jubilee cut,he also has other square cuts that you may like....what you got is call "diamond shrinkage syndrome" is a common disease here on P.S. it took you two weeks to catch it.

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Rowan, I feel the same way as you but offered alternatives just in case it's ok with him to change; however she'll never know this until she communicate her concerns to him. When that happens, who knows how he will react...he maybe ok with it and then again, he may be very upset. I mean, you don't go to Tiffanys and buy a ring unless you gave it a lot of thought! On top of that, I'm sure it came from his heart...he wanted the best for his girl! I wish her well and hope she makes the right decision!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
I think this is a tough one. It is obvious you are not happy (size/price paid) with the ring he gave you. If you focus on price/value - and not size - with your guy I think you can work it out.

As others mentioned, you could have got a similar “Tiffany quality” (VS1/VS2, H/I) princess stone of approximately 2 ct for around $11-13,000. Toss in $1500 for the setting and you have more ring for less than his $15,000. This seems in line with what I see as the "Tiffany Brand Premium" of 1.3 to 1.5 times cost of PS vendors with similar quality.

I also agree with some of the other posts - that to many people 1.3 cts would be considered a very nice size. However, it does depend greatly on where you live and what social/professional circles you travel in.

Your fiancé sounds like he wanted to get you something very special. So he went to Tiffanys. You should let him know this. The Tiffany name carries a lot of prestige and very good quality – for a price.

It sounds like you are not going to feel right about the e-ring he got you. You have to live with your E-ring.

I would tell your fiancé that you are overwhelmed and really (really!) impressed with the amount of money he spent - and the great quality – but you do not “need” the Tiffany premium. Tell him you would prefer to use the same (or slightly less) money for a “different” or “better value” ring (I would not necessarily say “larger” at this point).

Then start looking with him through some of the PS vendors here. WF, GOG, Nice Ice, etc.

Blue Nile is okay too – but you may find the other PS E-vendors to be a better value.

As you browse through the Web sites and get information – you can say, “look honey! here is a (VS1/VS2 H/I) Diamond like the Tiffany's - but it's only $10,000! Think how much money we will save ! “ Of course you may not decide to say – “it will be larger too!”

Just my thoughts.

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I know that most people on the street probably couldn't tell a princess from a lucida, but if that's the stone you like, then I'd go and chat to Good Old Gold about stones with a similar look.

There are quite a few including the new Jubilee mentioned earlier, but also the Luc'ere (very close to the Lucida), Regent, Flanders and Queen of Hearts. I personally don't like the facet pattern on a princess but that's a personal choice!
2.gif

I was told in Tiffany's that the DVatche X Prong was identical to the Lucida mount but I'm not sure how experienced the person was? (Saturday shopping!)
11.gif

I'm sure that this will be a touchy subject with your fiance, but most people want to get a good deal. Perhaps you can put some of the money saved towards a wonderful honeymoon?
12.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
sorry to ask an obvious question, but would you even be able to return the ring to tiffany's if you wanted to?

1215n

Rough_Rock
hi hope! well i do not know tiffany's return policy but i do agree with all the others about being able to find a beautiful stone(b&b...bigger and better!)for what he spent .I also think that u should bring it up to him-very very gently-if u do not try then maybe u will always have "doubts" about your ring and all the "what if's"...the ring may change but his feelings for u will not...you should be happy with what u have or will have..if not then change...hope to read about the outcome,goodluck!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you both rushed into the ring w/o giving it much thought to your options.

If the name doesn't mean much to you for the premium Tiffany's is charging *and* your to be is O.K. returning it, then do it. Provided you can indeed return the ring.

diamondsonthemind

Rough_Rock
Hope, I think it all comes down to what you really think is the right thing to do. Only you are the one who can tell if your finace' will go for the idea of returning the diamond or not. If he was willing to go out and get a Tiffany's diamond in the first place then he must have wanted something very special for you. Not to say the the acutal diamonds are the best out there, but for an un educated shopper, Tiffany's is one of the top places. I am by no means an expert on diamonds or on settings but I can tell you that you could get twice the ring for what he paid at Tiffany's. I would just make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons. There is always going to be people who make you feel like your things are not good enough, even if the diamond is beautiful. The main thing is to stress to him that it is not about the status that the ring brings, but about the fact that you could get a much better quality ring for a lot less money. Good luck.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have a full month to return it if Im not mistaken.

jewelryjunkie

Rough_Rock
When my husband proposed to me, he gave me a diamond that was smaller than I wanted. It was the best he could afford and I kept it. But I have always regretted that I did. I wish I would have gone back to the jewelers with him and got the size of diamond and the setting that I wanted. Then the e-ring I truely wanted would be associated with all of the memories of my engagment and wedding.

My husband's feelings were hurt because I was not honest with my feelings about the ring from the beginning. He wanted me to have the ring that would make me happiest. I didn't tell him that the one he got me wasn't the ring I wanted until 3 years after we were married.

It is important to build your marriage on honesty. Honesty is hard but really important. Your fiance loves you and wants you to be happy. Help him find the ring that would make you happiest without any worries about size or if he got the best diamond for his money.

If you have any doubts about your ring, fix it now so all your happy memories of your wedding will be associated with the diamond you really want. Believe me with something as important as an e-ring, you do not want to have any negative feelings associated with it. That's just my 2 cents.

It's your life. Do what will make you happiest.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There will be other rings and jewelry to show off, wouldn't they?

Do you HATE that ring? Totally HATE it ? That would not be good... It is not clear from your posts if you do share somewhat of your colleagues restrained appreciation for the respective jewel
rolleyes.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
If you compare branded stones in designer settings - apples to apples - I don't think there's going to be a huge difference in what you have now for the $15k you spent. Maybe you can go up a color to H-VS1 and get something 1.5-1.6 carats, but like I say not a huge difference. It's a tough call.

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
Hope,

I bought a Tiffany Lucida for about similar price for my fiancee early this year. Our ring was even smaller than yours @ just over 1 carat but of higher quality! I work at a private-equity firm. My fiancee works in the neonatal intensive care unit at a hospital with others (Doctors and nurses) who do pretty well financially. One thing she didn't want was to wear a ring that shows that she is trying to "keep up", although she appreciated the fact that I wanted to give her something "very nice". To me, "very nice" is not an absolute value. Relative to the amount of money I make and the money I have, the amount I spent was substantial. It meant that I will have to settle for a less expensive car when time comes around for a new one. It meant that I had to spend less money on alchol, and less money on Clothes, gadgets, etc. The fact that I made a personal sacrifice to give her "my personal best" is what she appreciates and what the ring represents on her finger. Nobody, except a few very keen eyes, recognize her ring as something that costs as much as a brand new Honda Civic. We could have bought a non-Tiffany, but I would have probably gone for higher quality, not "larger". Because, only she and her most closest friends would know the true value of the ring, and not some passer-by, or gealous co-workers, who would criticize no matter what size the ring was. Sure, put on a 2 carat ring, and you'll be hearing about the 3 carat ring that Suzy in accounting just got. If the Tiffany name is not worth the premium, that is totally understandable. But trust me, it carries a more subtle value, just like higher color and clarity grade. I guess its up to what you feel is more important... impressing yourself or others. I know I sound pretty biased and for that I apologize and offer you this knowledge. If you want size without sacrificing visible quality, you can definately get a ring that is very noticeably larger by going with an internet vendor. That is totally true. At same prices, I've seen princesses and radiants that were much bigger than our Lucida, that honestly, did look just as beautiful as the presumeably one-of-the-best quality diamond that Tiffany is supposed to be. But as others have wisely recommended, suggesting to your fiance to spend less than 15K on a similar(or slightly larger) non-Tiffany ring and having him pocket the savings would be a much wiser/considerate/non-materialistic thing to do.
3.gif

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Can you still return it for a full refund??

Could you please Post A Picture of This Ring so we all can see it on your hand?? Maybe then we can get a better idea, because I just went to the
tiffany.com site and looked up the Lucida ring, and I think it is absolutely
"Gawjus"!

Otherwise, in my opinion, based on what happened w/ me and my own personal experience, I would tell you that it is best to upgrade NoW rather than Later. At first I thought my ring was a good size. I must have been delusional! It is a .49 carat (i found out this weekend on paperwork)...anyway i just bought another set that i love (my avatar) .... I say post some pics and
think for a little more about how big you would want the diamond and try on larger stones to get an idea. keep us posted!
wavey.gif

eyesoftexas

Shiny_Rock
The first question you need to ask yourself is what kind of foundation do you want this marriage to be built on? If it is a superficial basis then go ahead and get the bigger bling bling. YOU should REALLY think about this without asking him. The ring is a SYMBOL of your future husbands LOVE. Don't fall into the my bling bling is bigger than your bling bling. Even if your fiancé does not admit it he will be upset - I would be. I am sure he put a lot of thought into this whether you believe it was spontaneous or not. He went for Tiffanys and bought what he thought was a beautiful ring. Leave it at that. Marriage is full of little tokens of appreciation and compromises (successful ones anyways). DO NOT return the ring. Get an upgrade in 5 or 10 years if you need to. But if you return this he will never forget it and will probably be hurt, even if he does not “show it” (guys tend to put on the macho persona as a cover). In reality you will save a few thousand dollars for a bigger ring – is that worth hurting your future husband?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results