carat
color
clarity

Are you a "Working Mother"?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tacori E-ring said:
I don't know what I am! Now that I am in school, does that make me a "working mom" even though I am not bringing in any money to the household? I no longer consider myself a SAHM. I guess I am in limbo.

That was me, last year! ;)) If someone asked what I did, I said I was a law student. If they asked if I had children, I said yes. I never thought to try to define the two states in one phrase.

I'd say if anyone in my family was to define themselves as working parent, it would have to be DH. Largely because our childcare is at his office, so he takes A to work with him most days. If I call him at work, at a random time, there's a good chance I'll hear A in the background, 'helping' with architecture. I don't think she spends much time in the actual daycare room. :rolleyes:

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I'm guilty of using the term "full-time mom". :oops: In my defence, I do not use it to imply that parents who work outside the home full-time are not full-time parents as well. I'm sorry if it offends anyone. Thing is, in my area there are very few SAH parents (certainly not dads!) and they are usually looked down upon like being lazy and not wanting to work, so it's my way of saying that I do have a job, and a full-time one at that. I do agree however that it's annoying that people seem to feel the need to categorize themselves/others. If I find a job I will be going back to the job market (unfortunately, but it's getting pretty hard to pay the bills these days), and I would find it odd to be referred as as a working mother. I've always compartmentalized my career and my family life, so I would call myself a [whatever work title I would have] and say yes if asked if I have a child.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results