shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my photographer flaking on me?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
We signed a contract with our photographer (and gave a deposit) at the beginning of March. We found her on Craigslist, but a lot of the photographers around here do that (including the ones at the wedding shows). She had also visited several times to the church that we attend (not because of us...we found out when we had our face-to-face interview). While talking with her she mentioned that the camera would need more than just candlelight for the types of pictures we wanted at our venue. So in mid-April I e-mailed her asking if adding icicle lights (with candles) would be sufficient. I didn't hear back from her, but thought that it might have been because I was an overanxious bride, or because she might have been out of town. (In addition to weddings she does shoots in developing countries, which often will take her away for awhile.)

Then two weeks ago I e-mailed her again, asking about the lighting and whether we were still on for our wedding date. Didn't hear back from her. I called her yesterday and left a message, but haven't heard back from her. And today I went to check her website to see if her contact info had changed, and her website is down.

I'm nervous. We have a small budget, and photography is taking a disproportionate part of the budget because it's really important to me. Should I be patient and/or expect her to come through because she said she would, and we have a contract to that effect? Or should I start looking to see if anyone else is available? Should I sign with someone else and forego our deposit? Frankly, I need some advice here.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I would take a twofold approach: call and email repeatedly, while at the same time start looking. Most photographers offer a 7-day period to return a contract, so that provides a little cushion in case your original photographer reemerges and has a really good excuse for going MIA.

Whether to forgo the deposit probably depends on how much you put down. You can always sue in small claims court after the wedding.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
If photography is a big deal to you, then I think you need to look for a new photog.

Just my advice and opinion, given the info your provided.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes. This doesn't sound promising, Austen... sorry. I'm probably a PITA and totally paranoid, but if I don't hear from one of our vendors within a week after contacting them, I go nutso!

If I were you, I would start looking at new options now and contine to call/email your first photog on a daily basis this week. If you don't hear back in the next week, I'd give up and sign on with a new photog.

Good luck!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I would start looking for a new photog if I were you. Even if she does get back to you now, I wouldn't want someone like that to be in charge of my wedding photography.

You may end up losing your deposit, but it would be worth it to me.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
I would immediately start looking for another photographer and continue to reach out to your former photographer. I said former because really at this point if and when she does respond do you still want or trust her to do your photos? I wouldn't. I would reach out to her for the sole reason of building a case to sue her for return of your deposit.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd say that, yes, she's flaking out on you. Time to find a new one. That's so frustrating, isn't it?

DisneyBride828

Shiny_Rock
While I agree with most on here for finding a different photog, it's for a different reason. It is the photographer's responsibility to provide adequate lighting for you. They have special flashes and tripod lighting they usually use for dim-roomed situations. Our wedding reception only had candlelight for lighting and the pictures turned out wonderful. She should not expect you to change the lighting situation. What if the ceremony venue didn't have adequate lighting? Chances are there's nothing you can do about it, especially if it is in a place of worship. I would get my money back and find a photog that can handle a wedding. She sounds a little too amateurish, IMHO.

ETA: Also, if she is taking this much time answering one simple question..imagine how long it will take for you to get your proofs!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I feel a bit badly, because it turns out I had a wrong e-mail address (though I didn't get any undeliverable messages). So the reasons why my photographer wasn't responding was because she didn't get them. She did get back to me within 36 hours from a phone call, which isn't unreasonable. She confirmed we're still on, and I'm feeling positive about this again.

DisneyBride, thanks for letting me know about your photographic experiences with candlelight. Because the room is essentially a big, black hole she was saying that the background of the photos would basically appear black and if I wanted the cameras to pick up more of the background then additional lighting would be required (we're talking action shots, not something posed where it can sit on a tripod for forever to get enough light in the aperture, or whichever thing that does that). Though I initially got started on the idea of icicle lights because of the camera issue, I do like the idea of icicle lights and would have them anyway even if I switched photographers.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know if things change.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Well, that's good news! Fingers crossed everything continues to work out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results