carat
color
clarity

I am really bummed.....

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Cushioncutnut,
One has to wonder how it happened with only a little pressure but I think every jeweler with enough jobs under his belt has damaged a few perfectly good stones so it could have happened to me too. The difference is that when I break them I use lots of pressure, LOL

ValentinesJewelryDesign

Rough_Rock
Trade
Lee, I had a customer select a very fine 8ct oval Black Opal for a simple 4 prong pendant in Yellow Gold. Simple enough, I've set this 1,000times before. I apply very little pressure and a small pocket blows out of the center of the stone....nowhere near the pressure or prongs. Bearings were cut correctly and there should have been zero stress at that point. We had it recut twice and the same thing happened both times. I sourced a new stone and, voila, set perfectly the first time. Some stones just don't cooperate. But I agree, Tourmaline typically should set like a dream....but so should have that Opal! :)

Matt

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's my understanding tourmaline has inner pressure within the stone. So when you apply counter pressure to tourmaline, it can bind that pressure up like a tight spring, and break it.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockHugger said:
It's my understanding tourmaline has inner pressure within the stone. So when you apply counter pressure to tourmaline, it can bind that pressure up like a tight spring, and break it.

Interesting. That certainly makes sense.

Lee, it sounds like when you break a stone...you do it right!! LOL!!

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Matt,
Opals can be weird since they don't have any crystal formation but that one sounds extra odd as normally black opal is pretty straight forward.
I prong set an opal doublet once, after I polished the piece I louped it and saw a tiny crack by one of the prongs less than a millimeter long. I wasn't too concerned as it could not be seen without magnification but after about a week the crack went all the way across the face on its own. All I had to do then was start over! Best regards, Lee

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh CCN I feel your pain. What a horrible thing to have happened. In all the years of having stones set this has only happened to me once and it was a coloured diamond. :(

Unfortunately, even the most skilled benchmen have bad days, a slip of the hand, a little too much pressure etc. Hopefully the replacement Rubellite will live up to your expectations. Fingers crossed.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds said:
Oh CCN I feel your pain. What a horrible thing to have happened. In all the years of having stones set this has only happened to me once and it was a coloured diamond. :(

Unfortunately, even the most skilled benchmen have bad days, a slip of the hand, a little too much pressure etc. Hopefully the replacement Rubellite will live up to your expectations. Fingers crossed.

Ack... a colored diamond.... not good! I bet that was quite an expense. I didn't pay that much for the rubellite, however, I talked to my jeweler today to see what the status was and he questioned how I paid so little for the stone and that his wholesale price was more money. ??? I feel really bad now as he was the one that ordered the stone even before I knew what had happened. I guess maybe I need to introduce him to Bob or someone of the like........... :))

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Over in a forum that more than a few faceters hang out in, there have been running threads on tourmaline and how many of them have their own 'personalities'. There is probably not a single faceter that has not had a tourmaline just break on them. I personally have one that I chased a crack almost to the girdle on the table. There was no crack when I started the table. It just decided to make an appearance. I left the crack in it and quit. Many have stories of coming back to work on a stone the next day and having two stones. There are just some tourmalines that refuse to give in.

The other personality quirk is that they like to come off the dop. My record is 4 times. That is my tourmaline from hell. Cut it for AmethystGuy and the evil 'friend' said I could keep it since it was so much trouble. It is a wonder I still speak to him. :)

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
George Ellis said:
Over in a forum that more than a few faceters hang out in, there have been running threads on tourmaline and how many of them have their own 'personalities'. There is probably not a single faceter that has not had a tourmaline just break on them. I personally have one that I chased a crack almost to the girdle on the table. There was no crack when I started the table. It just decided to make an appearance. I left the crack in it and quit. Many have stories of coming back to work on a stone the next day and having two stones. There are just some tourmalines that refuse to give in.

The other personality quirk is that they like to come off the dop. My record is 4 times. That is my tourmaline from hell. Cut it for AmethystGuy and the evil 'friend' said I could keep it since it was so much trouble. It is a wonder I still speak to him. :)

Thank you George for sharing that information. I had no idea from a cutters view point that Tourmalines have so many different characters. I must have been just lucky so far in setting them.
I would be interested to read the cutter's info in the other forum but don't know how to manage that as I think there are rules here that do not allow a link, the name of another forum, or an email address so I don't know how I could contact you. Maybe there is a personal message feature on this site but so far I do not see that either. Anybody know? Best regards, Lee

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lee Little said:
George Ellis said:

Thank you George for sharing that information. I had no idea from a cutters view point that Tourmalines have so many different characters. I must have been just lucky so far in setting them.
I would be interested to read the cutter's info in the other forum but don't know how to manage that as I think there are rules here that do not allow a link, the name of another forum, or an email address so I don't know how I could contact you. Maybe there is a personal message feature on this site but so far I do not see that either. Anybody know? Best regards, Lee

It is interesting to hear a cutters perspective and what they go through. Thanks for chiming in.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
ccn, your jeweler said he'd have the ring ready this week? Today?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cellentani said:
ccn, your jeweler said he'd have the ring ready this week? Today?

I am hoping so. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens to the replacement tourmaline and hopefully it will be even more gorgeous IRL!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really looking forward to seeing it, or at least hearing about your impression once you get it, cushioncutnut.

cushionladyESQ

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I hope things turn out well in the end! This does suck, and I understand your apprehension since one of my stones was chipped last year. But everything worked out and I was happy in the end! I hope you are too.

I'll be on the lookout for updates.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cushionladyESQ said:
I hope things turn out well in the end! This does suck, and I understand your apprehension since one of my stones was chipped last year. But everything worked out and I was happy in the end! I hope you are too.

I'll be on the lookout for updates.

Thank you! I am going to pick it up right now! :-o

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, ccn! I'll check back later for your update.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cellentani said:
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, ccn! I'll check back later for your update.

o.k... the good news, the benchman re-tipped the prongs and set the new stone...and the jeweler did not charge me one dime. He refused to let me pay him.... The bad news, the stone looks nothing like the Bob Kast rubellite. :(sad It looks more like a rhodolite garnet. :errrr: I just feel bad about this situation all around as my jeweler didn't charge me anything even though I insisted on paying something. I did tell him that I wish his benchman didn't go ahead and order a replacement stone prior to letting me know what happened and set it. I could have made the decision to give him back the Dan Stair Namanga garnet and set it instead and he would not have wasted his $$ on the newer stone which he said he paid more for it than I paid for the BK stone. :(( Ah well, I guess I will just live with it for awhile as it is not too hateful looking. The diamonds in this setting are just flaming gorgeous and it deserves to have a beautiful stone set into it. I guess it all boils down to the Bob Kast tourmaline just must have had a weak point in it and it just was not meant to be. I almost bought a tsavorite garnet to put into this setting but my jeweler said that he would not even have his benchman touch a tsavorite. :(( I will post comparison pictures later. I feel so bad about this situation all around as I totally trust my jeweler and he feels horrible too as he considers me a friend and wants to keep my business as well.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Cushioncutnut, I'm so sorry this has been such an upsetting experience for you. At least you found out that your jeweler really does consider you important, and is doing his best to do right by you. :((

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
awww, sorry to hear the stone wasn't as nice, but I'm glad your jeweler treated you as fairly as possible. Since the new stone wasn't quite the same color quality, perhaps you could make an arrangement to have a discount on future benchwork, if you ever find a more suitable replacement rubellite. I'm really curious to see this ring now - have any pics?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want pics too! I'm sorry you're disappointed CCN. But he has been treating you very well, and that seems harder and harder to find now...

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww, I really feel for you. First having the stone break and then getting a replacement. Your jeweler sounds so sweet, but that is the worst, to have something you don't want given as a sweet gesture. I've been there and just feel for your dilemma.

Edited to add... but I'm really glad you've found such a good jeweler and received excellent service. :)

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mariedtiger said:
Awwww, I really feel for you. First having the stone break and then getting a replacement. Your jeweler sounds so sweet, but that is the worst, to have something you don't want given as a sweet gesture. I've been there and just feel for your dilemma.

Edited to add... but I'm really glad you've found such a good jeweler and received excellent service. :)

I am sorry that you have been there too. I got some comparison pics. The rubellite is next to the sapphire which was the original stone in the setting. The rubellite appears not to be broken in the pictures, however it took a beating. It is chipped from the crown to the middle of the table. Don't think it could be re-cut. I guess it wouldn't hurt to send it back to Bob and see what he thinks. Even if it could be re-cut, I would be afraid to have it set for obvious reasons. :errrr:

broken rubellite.jpg

brokerubellite.jpg

brokerubsun.jpg

brokrubshade.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: not sure why my nail polish (OPI Koala Berry) looks so gawdy as it looks nothing like that IRL. The stone next to the rubellite is the Dan Stair Namanga garnet which is what I should have set in the first place............. Live and learn...........

rubellitechipped.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I can see why you are disappointed. The replacement is not as lively as the other stones. Is the setting not useable to reset again in the future? Perhaps you can find something even better down the road after wearing this a bit.

laura

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cushioncutnut, I'm sorry this experience has been such a disappointment:(sad It really is a shame that your jeweler didn't check with you before setting the replacement stone, but I suppose he was just in a hurry to make things right. Well, perhaps a little later on you can have that stone removed and set in a pendant (or not) and have another sweet stone set in its place. Best of luck :wavey:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I must agree with the others, that the replacement stone is no comparison to the one that broke! I would see if Bob can cut you another one. I'm so sorry. :((

It is a beautiful setting and deserves a stone that would do it justice.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
Unfortunately, I must agree with the others, that the replacement stone is no comparison to the one that broke! I would see if Bob can cut you another one. I'm so sorry. :((

It is a beautiful setting and deserves a stone that would do it justice.

Yes, I know what my eyes see and that replacement stone is nothing near as nice as the BK stone...so no one, Please don't worry about hurting my feelings or anything. LOL! TL, I did consider having him cut another stone, however, what if it happens again?? Would anyone like to take on the challenge of setting it if I do buy another one??? :bigsmile: I just don't want to put the other jeweler in the same position if this happens again. I hate to be skeptical but this little venture can get quite expensive....

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
That is some setting, just gorgeous, wow!

I see what you mean, the replacement stone. Ach. He thought he was making it up to you but the replacement, it isn't up to the task. I'm sorry about that, its a tough position to be in, someone tried to do you a solid but it would have been so much better if you'd been able to give him your other stone instead of the replacement...

But that setting, it deserves a better stone one day, it is impressive, truly.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
cushioncutnut, is it just the angle of the photo, or is the replacement rubellite a tad smaller than Bob's? It's totally fine the way it is, but if you ever replace the stone, I think you could go a smidge larger so the basket won't show as much. The setting, however, is gorgeous - looks like a lot of diamond weight, but because of the classic shape, it's very elegant. Plus, I think pear shapes are very flattering on the hand!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! It is indeed a pretty setting:) I agree that the stone seems a tad too small in this setting. Maybe you should get a slightly bigger stone in future, do keep in mind the depth too. As I have done a recent reset, the diameter fits well but the Portuguese cut round is too deep to fit into my current setting :sick:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results