shape
carat
color
clarity

New application to "check in"

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
It's no secret that people overshare on social networking sites. I think lots are guilty of doing this, even when they don't realize they are doing so. I know I do when it comes to my daughter and what's going on with her. I have friends who overshare about their relationships, jobs, or any other activities going on in their lives.

One of the networking sites has a new application called "checked in" where you can check in from various locations.

To give you an example, one of my friends (who is more like family to all of us) put this on her profile:

B checked in at (A local Bar)
" " CVS
" " Home
" " J Train
" " M Train
" " (Place of employment)

This was from last night around 8pm through this morning around 8am. Does anyone else think this is scary?? This girl has 448 friends on her list. If someone really wanted to, they could see that she checked into a bar around happy hour which means they have 2 hours to get in and out of her home :errrr:

Does anyone have this app? I'm wondering if this is something that you manually have to update or if it picks up your location and let's everyone know where you are :errrr:

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
This is very scary, I usually don't update facebook that often, maybe ones every other week. But I asked my husband to never post where we are.You can never be too carefull :errrr:

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I heard about this too, and also found it pretty scary. I do believe that you have to download it though. Scary stuff.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I've heard of that - a few of my friends "check in" on an app on a networking site and it terrifies me. That puts SO MUCH information out there and would make things so easy for a theif or a predator. :errrr:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Thank goodness I don't use those sites anymore. That is just scary.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
princesss said:
I've heard of that - a few of my friends "check in" on an app on a networking site and it terrifies me. That puts SO MUCH information out there and would make things so easy for a theif or a predator. :errrr:
Ditto. I think you are putting your personal safety at a huge risk where someone can track your every move.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The news websites starting alerting people to this new app last week and the first thing I thought was "oh no". I'm on just one social networking site and only to stay in touch with friends from various corners of my life, but to be truthful, I rarely if ever post anything on my own wall. For me it really is just to stay in touch. I think that new app takes "social networking" to a ridiculously personal level.

Weren't we all OK before cell phones came to be? Maybe it was just what we were used to, but I thought life was OK. Then cell phones were born and we're all connected every moment were out of the house. No more running an hour or two of errands or going shopping in peace as a break from your routine. After we all got used to staying connected in that way, then the social networking sites were born. Maybe it's just me but I really don't want anyone to know what I'm doing every minute of the day. I hope that new application is one that has to be downloaded to use and not one that's forced on everyone, or else I'm out of there!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I simply don't understand who cares. Gee, I went to WalMart, then to Linens & Things, then I drove home. Who gives the slightest darn? Talk about banal! Booooring. I don't tweet for the same reason. "Had a hamburger 4 dinner. Doing dishes." Whoopee. Not very interested to know anybody who thinks this is news or conversation.

--- Laurie

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak said:
I simply don't understand who cares. Gee, I went to WalMart, then to Linens & Things, then I drove home. Who gives the slightest darn? Talk about banal! Booooring. I don't tweet for the same reason. "Had a hamburger 4 dinner. Doing dishes." Whoopee. Not very interested to know anybody who thinks this is news or conversation.

--- Laurie

agree.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't get this at all.

On a slightly different topic: I've never been to MySpace or Twitter, and I don't use FB that often. I think social networking sites have gotten a little out of hand, but I suppose it's just because people want to be in constant contact with one another. Whatever happened to picking up a phone or sending an e-mail? (I know e-mail isn't necesarily the most secure thing either, but it seems more secure than announcing your every move to total strangers.)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bleck on many levels... who cares what you are up to at that level of detail, scary that there are so many people who could totally stalk you if they wanted -- even my hubsand does not know my whereabouts to that degree! :cheeky: -- and why so many "freinds?" I think friending people you don't really know is oversharing. Unless she really is friends with those people! Then you go girl! I guess.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's just mutual narcissism.

"Oh look at ME! I'm ordering from McDonald's now!"

Five minutes later, "Mmm, this big mac is so good!"

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I've heard of it too and I use FB very often but I'd never consider using that app. That's just crazy and way too personal...plus I doubt that anyone cares what locations I'm at during the day...its not that interesting.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I think it is incredibly irresponsible to post any of that information. We hear stories every day about people being robbed by FB "friends" who saw that they were going to be away from the house. :nono:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
See I never could understand why people feel the need to share this sort of thing.. It's crazy , and no am not interested that you just got a Big Mac!!! :snore:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a friend who lives in L.A. who's been using that app for probably a year now...I kept wondering what it meant when her updates said things like "so-and-so just checked in at *insert random restaurant/bar*. So I think the app may have been around for awhile but is just now really taking off? It's brilliant marketing but at what cost to the users? I would never use it but this friend did Playboy about 12 years ago and apparently doesn't mind putting herself out there in any kind of way. :naughty:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I saw on my FB app that there's now a button for "Places" - I think that's what you use to "check in." I like my social networking sites, but I will not be taking advantage of that feature. Creepy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results