shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut in basket mounting

Noratr

Rough_Rock
Does an emerald cut diamond have to be set in a basket mounting? If so, why?
Anyone who has an emerald cut, not in a basket, please post pics (especially of the sides.)
Thanks!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I assume you are talking about prong/claw settings rather than bezels. You can set an EC in a 4 prong setting but the disadvantages are that a) the band usually has to be quite wide due to the length of the stone, and b) the prongs have to be thicker to provide a stable setting. Mine is somewhere in between (I think - if a basket always includes two rectangular "frames) - it's not a classic basket but it does have the crossbar under the girdle of the stone.

Also check out this thread for inspiration.

Pancakeprofile.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I know exactly what you're talking about and it's a topic close to my heart as well... you are referring to a setting with prongs but no support bars, correct?

Noratr

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about. I wanted a delicate band with an emerald cut center diamond. I told the jeweler that I wanted my wedding band to sit flush against my engagement ring. They said, "no problem, we can do it however you want." Well, when my boyfriend proposed with the ring, the basket was protruding, so there's no way it could sit flush. I took the ring back and said I just wanted a traditional 4-prong mounting. All that they ended up doing was setting the basket on top on my band, so that my wedding band could sit flush.
Long story short, I still dream about having it set with a traditional 4-prong setting. (My diamond is 1.5 carats.)
I just really want to know if it's possible :(

IMG_7118_1.JPG

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Noratr, beautiful ring :love: im not sure if know the answer to your dilemma though :(sad i have seen on pricescope (*i think*) one ring that might be what you're looking for - it semerald's and im sure there are pics of it in PO's step cut thread...Im not sure if i got her name exactly right but hers might be a good one to check out, i remember she got it from Quest jewellers.

And please post more pics of you ring as it is now, looks like a gorgeous stone :love: :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't see why you can't get what you want with the right designer. Many people sport RBs with the same mm width as the long dimesion of the EC, and they have settings that allow a flush fit, so I see no reason why you cannot get it with an EC, you just need to work with a good vendor.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto, definitely doable.

Noratr

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the replies! You are giving me hope again :) I'll have to talk to some jewelers and see if I can find someone to make my ring the way I wanted from the start.
Any more input would be greatly appreciated!

Ring.jpg

Noratr

Rough_Rock
Eeeekkkk! Yes, exactly like that! Thank you so much for that link!
Now my question is, why do you never see emerald cuts set like that?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I think it might be for security/structural reasons - when I had mine set I originally wanted an integrated head with no crossbar. It was definitely possible but I changed my mind because the jeweller told me how thick the prongs would have to be and I felt they would protrude too far from the corners of the stone. I imagine a non-integrated peg would need to have similarly thicker prongs to support the diamond securely, particularly with the elongated shape of the stone. The setting also has to be pretty high (unless the stone is small) so maybe that's another reason?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noratr said:
Does an emerald cut diamond have to be set in a basket mounting? If so, why?
Anyone who has an emerald cut, not in a basket, please post pics (especially of the sides.)
Thanks!

Tension settings have no basket.
In fact they don't have anything under the diamond, so you enjoy much more of the precious diamond you paid for.

We don't have an emerald cut in a TS but have 4 TSs and I think they are wonderful.

Picture 10.png

ts.jpg

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Noratr, i checked the thread that Pancake linked to - the ring im talking about (s emeral) is on pg 6, though there's only one pic of it...still from there perhaps you could find her thread?

Noratr

Rough_Rock
I went to a jeweler today, and they said they could reset my ring with a traditional 4-prong mounting! It will be $300. Now, I just have to decide if it's worth that to have my ring the way I intended it to be from the start.
Thanks so much for everyone's replies. Without them, I really didn't think it was possible to have it set the way I wanted.
I'll post pics after it's reset!
Oh, and E B, I even downloaded the pics you linked on to my phone. It was great to show the jeweler exactly what I was looking for. THANK YOU!!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Noratr said:
Oh, and E B, I even downloaded the pics you linked on to my phone. It was great to show the jeweler exactly what I was looking for. THANK YOU!!!

You're very welcome! I hope s/he's able to alter the setting to make it just as you'd like it! :))

Noratr

Rough_Rock
I picked up my ring from the jeweler yesterday, and...I LOVE IT!!! It turned out just the way I had hoped. Thank you everyone for pushing me to get it done the way I always wanted it!

IMG_7098.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

Noratr

Rough_Rock
I'm so excited about it, here's some more pictures.

IMG_7110.JPG

IMG_7109.JPG

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out STUNNING. So delicate. :appl: :appl: :appl:

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
That's gorgeous. I love how it turned out!

E B

Ideal_Rock
It looks fabulous! Congratulations!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perfect! :appl:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Huge improvement! It looks so delicate now! I don't think it was right to charge you to change it to what you originally asked for though.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
beautiful :love: you're right, it looks amazing now :love: :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
looks awesome! so glad you got what you wanted :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats. :)

wedge

Rough_Rock
kelpie said:
I don't think it was right to charge you to change it to what you originally asked for though.
If I understand correctly, her fiance is the one who selected the basket setting... it wasn't that the jeweler decided not to do what was originally asked.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Your new setting looks great! I wish I had seen this topic when you first posted it--my EC is set exactly the way yours is set now, and I like it a lot. I'm glad you were able to get what you wanted.

Noratr

Rough_Rock
Just to clarify, my fiancé did NOT pick out the basket setting. The jeweler just set it that way. Even when I went back to have the prongs changed, they refused to do a traditional four-prong setting. The only thing they would do, was set the basket on top of the shank, so that my wedding ring will sit flush. I even had to sign a disclosure form, stating that they were not liable for the ring.
I had to go to another jeweler and pay $300 to have it done the way we wanted it originally done!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results