shape
carat
color
clarity

The Running Thread

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone! I finally got in a run yesterday - the weather is cooperating again! I only did 2 miles, but I'm getting back into it and will ease into the training. It was fun and I did miss running (as I always do when I take a break). I really hated running for a long time, so it's funny to love it to so much now.

Dreamer - you and your hubby are doing awesome :). Do you think you will run your August race together or do your own thing? My hubby is much faster than me (and hardly runs - so frustrating!) and I would love it if we could cross the finish line together one day, but he could probably walk faster than my running so I doubt it will happen.

PG - when I'm not training for anything, I like training by time as well. I like knowing I'm only going to be out for 30 minutes instead of an unknown amount of time trying to get in a certain number of miles. It's easier to plan your overall day.

Erica - 3 halves in 5 months - that's ambitious! Good luck! I track my runs in 4 different ways! I track all of my food and workouts on a website called Dailyburn. I share a google calendar with my BFF where we track our workouts and measurements. I upload my garmin data to their website and I have an old fashioned spreadsheet so I can make my own graphs and charts. I love data and it doesn't bother me to track it a million times over, hahaha. Runningahead looks pretty cool, I might create an account for fun - it looks like it might be a good replacement for my spreadsheet.

Impatientone - hope you are able to beat your hubby when he returns! That is funny about wanting to move up an age group! I am currently 27 and the 30-34 year old women are FAST. I don't want to be in that one!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hey running ladies!
My hubs and I recently moved into a new home so my weekend consisted of packing and moving and certainly no running. I got 4 miles in Tuesday and 9 miles this morning. Ah, it felt good. We leave for vacation Sunday morning, so I'm going to try to attempt a LR Saturday am (hopefully around 16m).

Erica-I have a 2bottle fuel belt and I love it. I've actually ran out of water before only carrying 20oz of water on super hot days, so a 4 bottle pack sounds nice! A half is a good distance; you'll like it a lot! I thought about doing the RnR Vegas full, but I think I'll stick to the RnR Denver race.

I have my Garmin to track miles, but also track them on a calendar that hangs on my fridge. Its easy to see and I can write everything on it; miles, shoes, WT, yoga, AF, etc. It's nice to see everything.

Happy running!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I've been really bad!!! My husband deployed a little over 6 weeks ago, so I've been kind of down in the dumps and not very motivated. My daughter leaves for Basic Training in two weeks and I'll be all alone ;( I guess I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself, but I know I need to snap out of it ASAP!

I need a swift kick in the rear, folks!!!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ;( ;( ;(

I tweaked something in my left leg, probably the tendon that connects the quad down into the knee. My run last Sunday turned into a "catch the little dog before he gets hit by a car!!!" sprint, and by the time I got home after I was limping badly. I've been resting it since, doing lots of ice and anti-inflammatory meds. It is feeling better and better every day, so tomorrow I'll go out and try an easy mile to see how it holds up.

4 weeks and 2 days until Disneyland... :errrr:

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone :wavey: i just found this thread and this morning i just signed up for my first run, a 10k road race!!

Background: ive never been a runner, couldnt make it 400 metres as a child, and as an adult wasnt much better. I took up running last summer, stopped over the winter/spring/ and just took it up again a month or so ago.

Im really excited but super nervous about the race and im hoping everyone here might have some advice for me on how to train? i really am not sure what i should be doing.

At the moment i run 5 days a week (will push that to 6 from now on - the race is Sept 25) and probably run 5 to 7ks each one. The last week has been (i think) 6-7ks roughly...

I was hoping for some advice on how i should spend the next four weeks in terms of running, and if there are other exercises i can do to help - someone mentioned lunges, squats?

thanks in advance :wavey:

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Blackpaw!

Congrats on your upcoming race! How exciting! I've never run a 10k; I guess I skipped that distance. Anyways, I recommend reading over http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kintro.htm that website. Hal Higdon has great advice and should get you to your race goal without problem!

It sounds like you are already training well. Keep training; add some strength training, yoga, etc for stretching and strengthening. Don't forget to give yourself a rest day; those are equally important.

Working your ad/abductor muscles (inner and outer thighs) is a good way to prevent injury. The stronger those muscles are, the less likely knee and other injury is. Side to side movements are also a change of pace since running is one motion for a long time.

Happy running!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, Blackpaw :D There are a lot of running programs out there in addition to the one BeachRunner gave you. As she mentioned, be sure to give yourself at least one rest day per week. I have only been running since last fall, but I do my best on race day if I don't work out the day prior. I currently only do 5k's and not sure if I will ever move up. I kind of like the distance on the 5k.

Another tip - if you haven't already been professionally fitted for good running shoes, I would definitely suggest that! I had been running for 9 months before I finally got fitted, and found out that I am a pronator and was wearing the wrong knd of shoes all this time. Having the right shoes makes all the difference. Before I got fitted, I was suffering from recurring blisters, calluses and sore knees and back. With the right shoes, all of those problems have been eliminated!

Best wishes!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Beachrunner and ImpatientOne :wavey:

ive looked at Hal Ligdon's site and im going to do that program with my own little variations - for instance i hike on weekends a lot so i dont want to overdo it by trying to back up a 20k hike with a 10k run....and i think i might try to do two longer runs a week - if that's not overkill? i just want to make sure im not 'surprised' by the distance!!

and i'm going to try out some strength exercises and stretch more (im terrible at stretching!!)...

Do you guys have any tips for working on speed? i would ideally like to finish in around an hour to an hour and five, but to be honest at the moment i think its taking me about an hour (maybe 55mins) to do 6-7ks...

Mostly this one is about finishing for me though (i never thought id attempt something like it!!) so i wont be heartbroken if my time is down there, but it would be nice to come in in a semi-decent time.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
For speed, you'll want to do some interval training. Start with 90 seconds running as fast as you can, followed by a slow jog or brisk walk for 90 seconds. Do that one day per week for 45 minutes to an hour. Gradually increase your intervals (ie, week two run for 2 minutes, then slow job/brisk walk).

If it's any consolation, I, too, tend to neglect the stretching! I'd much rather just get to the running :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone! :wavey:

Glad to see that people are still our pounding the pavement around here. We are still chugging along. This week we increased our frequency of runs to 4 days a week, 4km each time, and we are feeling really good. We have both lost 11lbs since we started doing weight watchers and running seriously and I know the loss makes running easier for sure.

Yesterday we went on a trail run in a local forest/park and it was awesome! I actually felt great and really enjoyed it! So we are going to do that more often. We could not circumnavigate the whole park because we run with our son in a stroller and the terrain got to difficult with rocks and roots and incline, and since it was our first time on the trail we were not sure if we could keep going. But we did half then ran back and it was really fun. As soon as we can we are going to hike the trails with our son in the backpack to see which ones we can do with the stroller.

Anyways, I am totally sold on trail running now... anyone else do that?

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I like trail running, Dreamer :wavey: there are a lot of trails where i live and i find it much easier on the knees, not to mention more shaded (im one of those unfortunates who gets red in the face when she runs!)...

i did a longer run on sunday, then yesterday found it really tough to do even a short run. I ended up doing a rather relaxed kinda interval training for half an hour. Today im going to try and go 8ks in an hour. Im hoping enough of this will get me to doing the 10ks in an hour or just over...

im worried about overdoing it though? any ideas on how you know when to stop? one of my knees tends to get sore but i dont pay too much attention to it. As long as i make it through the race, then ill rest!!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Ummm, half marathon is in four days. FOUR DAYS!

Holy crap, what did I get myself into???

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
EricaR said:

oh no!! dont worry, you'll be fine - people tell me adrenaline kicks in or some such :bigsmile:

rest up and eat plenty of carbs and lots of {{{{DUST}}}} for you :wavey:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
EricaR said:

I don't know girl, I think you are nuts! :lol:

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
EricaR said:

You'll be fine! That's why you trained, right?
Enjoy the race, people, and experience as a whole. You'll have a blast!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
EricaR said:

In a good way of course! 8) I just can't imagine ever reaching that point in my running, I am impressed. Come back and tell us how it was!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
Dreamer_D said:
EricaR said:

In a good way of course! 8) I just can't imagine ever reaching that point in my running, I am impressed. Come back and tell us how it was!

hahaha. I am TOTALLY nuts and not necessarily in just a good way. I'm actually as excited as I am nervous. I just want to finish, I don't care how long it takes me as long as it is less than 3 hours and 30 minutes (course cut-off time).

I can't believe how far I've come in the past few months. In January I was 35 pounds heavier and I would have died laughing if you told me I'd be running a half marathon this year. I may end up shedding a tear or two when I cross the finish line on Sunday.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
good luck, Erica :wavey: :appl: you'll do great!

Im having a couple of rest days as i pulled my hamstring a little and my knee has been KILLING me...

Im hoping to do a long run on Sunday and be super refreshed for it. At the moment i think im managing 9-9.5ks in an hour, so if i can keep to that for the next couple of weeks i should be right to finish the 10k in close to an hour. Well thats the plan =)

golden

Shiny_Rock
Hi! How is everyone? I didn't think I could ever be a runner, but I am finishing my 7th week of couch potato to 5K so I am running 25 minutes 3 days a week. Next week is 28 minutes 3 days a week and the 9th and final week is 30 minutes 3 days a week, which is supposed to be 3.1 miles.
I have been reading that the speed I am running, is actually jogging. I do anywhere from 4.5mph-5.0mph (I use the treadmill). I haven't been trying to get my speed up, just trying to get trough the "runs", next week I'll try to get my speed up. I can't wait to be running 3+ miles and more then 3 days a week. In my line of work, I am standing 8 hours a day so I am exhausted, so I hope I can do it, I'll start by adding a 4th day in.
When I started with this program, my ankles were bothering me so I got fitted for sneakers and haven't had any problems, I'm wearing Asics, I love them, they give me the support in my arch. Good luck to everyone!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to pop in and wish Erica best of luck on her half marathon tomorrow! You'll rock it!

As for me, I'm finally feeling confident that I can complete my marathon. I had a LR of 16miles last weekend, and I completed 18 miles this morning. To my surprise, I felt like I still had more left in me to keep going, although I didnt. The crazy thing is, I ran my LR's without fuel (beside water). So, a couple 20 milers and I'm ready to rock it!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck, Erica!!!

BeachRunner, when is your marathon? I've got another 5k on the 18th, and I am looking forward to that! :appl:

Golden, sounds like you're making great progress. As an FYI on the shoes, normally they are only good for 300-400 miles, so you'll want to be aware of how may miles you're putting on them. I can usually tell when it's time to get new ones, though, as my knees and back start to hurt.

So nice to see other PS'ers out there who enjoy running, too!

golden

Shiny_Rock
I am running to lose inches, especially in my waste. I'm not over weight and I pretty much eat what I want, but that's why I've started running- so I can still eat as I please, but try to lose the love handles. I don't know if I'm really a fan of running and I don't want to give up the CP25K program (I am starting week 8 next week). Do you think speed walking will help with the inches as well. My body has changed since starting the program. I know I have to work on my eating habits as well and I plan on curbing the calories. So if I walk 3 miles instead of running 3 miles, can I lose the inches? I know that with running, I can probably double the distance I'd do if I was walking.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
The half was GREAT! Oh my gosh, so so so much fun. I finished in 3:04:22, which is about a 14:06/mile. I just checked out my splits (they broke it down at 5k, 10k and 15k) and my pace was consistent through the entire race. My only goal was to finish, and I did it with plenty of time to spare. I'm feeling pretty stiff and sore right now, but I know that it will work itself out in a few days.

If you ever get the opportunity to run in one of these Disney races, do it! I was amazed at the crowd support. Our racing bibs had our names on it, and the crowd would yell out your name ("Go Erica!" "You can do it Erica") and at one point an "Erica! Erica!" chant broke out. Seriously inspirational.

Taking a week off to recoup, then will pick up training again for the Las Vegas Rock 'n' Roll half in December.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and icing my legs feels like heaven. As did sitting in a hot bathtub.

And! Two coworkers showed up to support me! They live a few blocks from Disneyland so came on over this morning. I actually burst into tears when I saw them. And again when I crossed the finish line. I couldn't believe how emotional I was.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer! I came to this forum to tell you that your running thread inspired me to start running myself. I've spent the whole summer doing more bicycling than anything else, and since DH and I bike together I've been too stingy with that time to try running. HOWEVER, I just started the Couch to 5K program today and I actually felt GREAT when I was done. It was a super easy way to begin (5 min walk, and then 1 min run/1.5 min walk for a total of 25 mins) but I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to a more challenging run later this week.

SO, sorry to pop into this thread but I saw that you started it and I wanted to let you know that you inspired me. Thank you!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
EricaR said:
Oh, and icing my legs feels like heaven. As did sitting in a hot bathtub.

And! Two coworkers showed up to support me! They live a few blocks from Disneyland so came on over this morning. I actually burst into tears when I saw them. And again when I crossed the finish line. I couldn't believe how emotional I was.

EricaR congrats :wavey: :appl: :wavey: :appl:

such a great job, cant believe you ran so far!

golden

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure if I am loving running, maybe I am just bored on the treadmill. I am running 3 days a week doing the CP25K program. Do you think if I walk the same distance I'll get the same results, I'd even up the walking to 5 days a week.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
golden said:
I'm not sure if I am loving running, maybe I am just bored on the treadmill. I am running 3 days a week doing the CP25K program. Do you think if I walk the same distance I'll get the same results, I'd even up the walking to 5 days a week.

I do not find the results the same walking compared to running. Running has changed my body because it builds the muscles, walking never did that for me. I find treadmills a yawn too! Can you find a running partner and get out of the house? It is more fun an challenging!

ERICA ERICA ERICA!!!
You go lady! sounds like a big success!

BeachRunner Good luck on your full marathon! Wowee, I cannot imagine ever running that far. Maybe one day?? Who knows.

As for me, we have increased our frequency to 4km four days a week and we run a little faster now and it feels pretty good! I think that we will try to increase the distance to 5km soon. I doubt we can eek out a 5 days a week routine at this point in our lives, but we shall see.

The benefits of running are so awesome. I have noticed so many interesting changes in my body since I started running! The muscles in my shins and calves are insane, and it has changed the shape of my hips and butt a lot too. I have toyed with running in the past but never did it THIS MUCH and the change in my body is really amazing.

I have started calling myself "a runner" now when I tell people about myself or my hobbies. Honestly, it is still a little embarassing because I am a heavier person and I worry people will be thinking "What? SHE does not look like a runner!?!" But I need to quell that and embrace this new identity for myself. We started this running program to be a lifestyle change and I think part of making this a long term change for us is having this become part of who we are and how we see ourselves. Still, I look forward to the day when I look and feel more like a gazelle and less like a buffalo when I run 8)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
Dreamer! I came to this forum to tell you that your running thread inspired me to start running myself. I've spent the whole summer doing more bicycling than anything else, and since DH and I bike together I've been too stingy with that time to try running. HOWEVER, I just started the Couch to 5K program today and I actually felt GREAT when I was done. It was a super easy way to begin (5 min walk, and then 1 min run/1.5 min walk for a total of 25 mins) but I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to a more challenging run later this week.

SO, sorry to pop into this thread but I saw that you started it and I wanted to let you know that you inspired me. Thank you!

:appl: :appl: :appl: How fun! I am so glad you found me inspiring! That is a first for me. I think I have been inspirational in a mental/intellectual way before, but never in a physical way. This makes my day!

I don't know what it is like for other people, but for me it has taken a good 6 months to get to the point I am at now where we can run our 4km route and feel good and strong and fast the whole time. I was not in shape AT ALL at first, so if you want to make this a steady part of your life, I am sure you will get up to speed much faster than I did.

Is your husband running too? I think having a fitness activity or sport you can do with your spouse is a GREAT thing for a couple and for a family. We motivate each other and we have fun spending time together... usually :devil: It was not so fun in the 6 months it took us to really get in running shape, but now that we are fitter and running is actually... *gasp*... easy!!! we have a lot of fun for sure! And taking our kiddo with us makes it that much more fun for the whole group. He loves riding with us, though I wonder what he thinks about sometimes! haha

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Soooooo, I guess I should come into HL more often because I never saw that Dreamer had started this thread!

I've been running for a little under 3 years now, and in that time have completed 5 half marathons, 2 ten milers, and 3 8Ks. I subscribe to the walk/run idea, and usually run my races mostly at 4 minutes run/2 minutes walk intervals.

I was suppose to run my 6th half marathon next Sunday, but yesterday as I was heading to bed I started experiencing acute, moderate pain in my left knee, just below the patella at the front of my knee. I'm 99% sure it's Patellar Tendinitis, as in addition to running, I'm also an avid volleyball player and the two sports together can really do a number on that area. So I'm pulling out of that race (especially since it's got a 3:16 time limit and at my pace...about 13:30/mile...I wasn't going to have a huge cushion to work with anyway...) but hoping I'll be able to complete my third 10-mile race 7 weeks from now. I also have a 5K in 4 weeks, but I can walk that if necessary.

I am thinking of making the transition to barefoot running, as this knee injury is pretty much the last straw in the course of joint problems I've had in this round of training. I've had ankle inflammation in both ankles and hip inflammation on my right side, and now the knee issues. Argh. So over the winter I'm hoping to make the move to Vibrams or other barefoot running shoes while doing short indoor mileage on the treadmill to build up foot strength, and then taking it to the streets in the spring.

Heading back through the thread to catch up now on what's been going on!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results