shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for posting about Lalla Salma, Jewelfreak! I've always found her to be a very interesting woman, and have greatly admired her efforts as a royal consort. Not to mention that her jewelry collection is enough to make one drool. :bigsmile:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have never posted in this thread but enjoy reading it from time to time. I found the medieval pieces amazing as well. Perhaps the amazing jewelers used large, polished clear cabochons as magnifiers for fine work?

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Largosmom said:
I have never posted in this thread but enjoy reading it from time to time. I found the medieval pieces amazing as well. Perhaps the amazing jewelers used large, polished clear cabochons as magnifiers for fine work?

when I remember right cabochons and polished stones were used, because the technique to cut a stone was invented after the middle age

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Largosmom said:
I found the medieval pieces amazing as well. Perhaps the amazing jewelers used large, polished clear cabochons as magnifiers for fine work?

That's an interesting thought, Largosmom. So cabochons would magnify? Now I've got to look it up, you got me curious! They must have had something to cut garnets, Alexander, at least at the time of the Anglo Saxon Hoard (about 600 AD) -- the stones in those sword fittings are miniscule & finely fitted. Garnets aren't all that hard, 6.5 - 7.0, so they may have been able to do it with some other harder stone, would you think? This skill must have been lost again as you said. The Black Prince's Ruby from the 14th century (a spinel, actually) is a good illustration; it looks like it may have been polished in some way but not cut.

Agree with you, Largosmom, Lalla Salma's jewel collection is to die for. It's encouraging to see Middle Eastern women making even small steps forward & she deserves cheers.

--- Laurie

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
The idea came to me on the cabs because I have some moonstones that are clear and they definitely magnify. I don't know when cabochons were used first, but it would seem possible.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Found some interesting stuff on lenses. They were used in ancient times -- an Egyptian tomb has a drawing of a man using one; Scandinavians & Greeks used lenses to start fires. Seneca (around 50 BC) mentions the magnifying properties of a carafe filled w/water. (He thought it was the water that magnified; actually it was the curved glass of the flacon.) A lens was found in the house of an artist in Pompeii. Eyeglasses weren't invented until the late 13th c. but glass lenses were made at various times & places. But you're right, Largosmom, they did use gems also. Nero, who was near-sighted, is said to have watched plays through an emerald! It's likely a great many were made from gems -- one article suggested that many are in museums & thought to be jewelry, but are actually lenses.

Good catch, Largosmom.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
OK, guys, more things I found while trying out my new computer. Where is everybody?

Some irresistable items from the Russian imperial family. I found a translation of an account by the guy in charge of the Romanov assassination. Very gruesome & sad. When they were hiding the royal bodies they discovered the gems sewn into their clothing -- a total of 16 kg (35 lbs!) of jewels.

---Laurie

31.93.jpg

bluediamondRussia.jpg

snuffboxRussia.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Forgot one, spectacular. This diamond epaulette was worn to hold a ceremonial ribbon in place. Sorry about the quality, the original wasn't any better.

EpauletteRussia.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Also some interesting stuff from Monaco. Didn't realize this tiara could be worn so many ways, all pretty!

nce9mv.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
And taken apart, as brooches.

nceatk.jpg

nceb7q.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The gorgeous ruby & diamond earrings worn by Caroline in the last photo were shared by all the ladies. And the matching brooch.

n32rms.jpg

n32ot0.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
A few pics of Caroline looking beautiful as always. I LOVE the way she has used jewels in her hair!

Caro12.jpg

Caro10.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
point of interest for some...one of the photos above shows the elegant Princess Grace wearing the famous ruby clips and ring at her 40th birthday party where Liz Talor Burton debut the 69 carat pear shaped Talor -Burton diamond as a necklace designed by Cartier!the party had a zodiac theme and liz wore a cape with a scorpian accross the front!

dianab

Rough_Rock
Anyone knows if some European Royal Family owns Pink, Blue DIAMONDS???
Or some wife of Shah of Iran used Pink, Blue DIAMONDS?

GraceWdarkHair.jpg

GraceWhiteGloves3.jpg

GraceWhiteGloves2.jpg

grace_1.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Princess Grace of Monaco

Grace_Ball2.jpg

Grace_Ball3.JPG

Grace_Kellycropped.jpg

Grace_Kelly_Jackie_Kennedy_1.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Princesses Stephanie & Grace

Gracekellycrop0.jpg

Grace_with_Amb_Bohlen.jpg

grimaldifamily10.jpg

grimaldifamily32.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Grace
Farah
Caroline

Grace_Kelly_closeup_Expo67.jpg

image2812.jpg

image54.jpg

image863.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Princess Caroline of Monaco
Queen Sonja
Soraya

image_131753.jpg

image_131760.jpg

mancheto1hg7.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
Grace & Caroline

MONAKO_GRACE_043.jpg

MONAKO_GRACE_064.jpg

mshag5.jpg

n33e5g.jpg

dianab

Rough_Rock
on April 22, 2010, the diamond of Emperor Maximilian goes to auction at Christie's in New York. This is a diamond color I and very small internal inclusions, with 39.55-carat cushion cut and mounted in platinum. The diamond was bought by Maximilian, younger brother of Franz Joseph of Austria, during a visit to Brazil in 1860, immediately before becoming emperor of Mexico for the determination of Napoleon III in 1864. Legend has it that was with him when it was executed by firing squad in 1867 after being abandoned to their fate by the French. The diamond was given to the widow Princess Charlotte of Belgium and went through several owners, among them Ferdinand Holtz gem dealer, a collector anonymous New Yorker, the London jeweler Laurence Graff, Imelda Marcos and two anonymous collectors. A jewel with more than 150 years of history, is estimated at 1.5 million dollars.

Ana-Passos-Joias-Diamantes-24.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
jewelerman said:
point of interest for some...one of the photos above shows the elegant Princess Grace wearing the famous ruby clips and ring at her 40th birthday party where Liz Talor Burton debut the 69 carat pear shaped Talor -Burton diamond as a necklace designed by Cartier!the party had a zodiac theme and liz wore a cape with a scorpian accross the front!

Interesting info, Jewelerman. Liz must have stolen the spotlight from everyone else!

--- Laurie

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
here we have a pic from the arrival of guests and later at the party. Liz wore the Taylor-Burton, the Krupp and the ping pong diamonds

elizabeth-taylor_burton_monaco_1969-scorpio-ball.jpg

elizabeth-taylor_1970-academy-awards_edith-head.jpg

fogdancer

Shiny_Rock
Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

With two successful pregnancies behind her, the Crown Princess Mary eventually a good impression of how her body is affected during the process

And while Mary's stomach yet visions of so much, Crown Princess certainly feel that she is currently four months of pregnancy.

Her fingers are after all likelihood closed, and so Mary chose to take his wedding ring off. It bears out the pictures from Mary's just ended a holiday in Australia

Crown Princess Mary's wedding ring made of gold from Greenland and made by Royal Hofjuveler Flemming Hertz in Copenhagen.

Wedding ring is a 18 carat white gold ring with 24 square diamonds all around, cut in the so-called princess-cut with 76 facets on each stone.

Along with the wedding ring involves Mary also engagement ring, which Frederick had made for her in Brazil with a beautiful diamond and two red rubies, one on each side.

Both rings have Mary so far opted to take off, so she does not get unpleasant if her fingers would increase further

P.S.: ** Just in case... I used a translator danish to english

marysringeHJ.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Alexander, all I can say is Wow. I'm surprised she can carry that purse in her left hand, with the Krupp weighing her down!

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Royal Wedding in Greece!!!!!! :D

Here is Maxima at the pre-wedding reception on August 24. Looks like the dress was casual based on what the Crown Prince was wearing. Love Maxima's earrings!

maximaprewedding.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Royal family of Greece at the pre-wedding reception. Both Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Alexia are sporting lots of turquoise!

greekfamilywedding.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Prince Daniel. Doesn't it just seem like we had their wedding? The earrings aren't as flashy as Maxima's but I still like them

vicdangreek.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Wedding day, August 25! Crown Princess Letizia in blue. She looks awfully thin though. I'm guessing the earrings are aquamarine and they go great with the dress.

letiziagreek.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results