shape
carat
color
clarity

How about another weird pet quirks thread...

LGK

Ideal_Rock
My little, odd 14 year old kitty Rat totally made me die laughing last night. He hates heat- he's super shaggy and gets all droopy and miserable when it's 90ish out, like yesterday was. I was eating a popsicle near him, a fruit juice one. He got all spazzy and started leaping up on my legs begging, and I jokingly held it out to him, expecting him to sniff it, and get all disdainful like "if that's not a tuna juice popsicle forget it!"

Oh no. Not our Rat. Rat sniffed, approved, and then went to town licking the popsicle. And insisting I hold it for him. He ate the rest of it! Almost an entire popsicle. I nearly dropped it a couple of times laughing so hard.

He's also been stalking my hair lately. All of a sudden he developed a major fascination wtih it, and has been trying to convince me to let him play with it constantly. Every time I sit, he jumps up and starts digging in my hair, and the more tangled he can get it the better. If he gets a tangle he'll start yanking on it, and sticking his head in it, and basically just being an utter fruit loop.

Please note that this is the cat with tail hatred. I've mentioned this before some years ago but it bears repeating. Rat has an intense fear and loathing of his tail- whenever he sees it and realizes that yes, it's got a death grip on his butt, he decides it's an evil alien entity that needs to die. And he'll leap on it, and chase it, and attack it, usually falling off the back of the couch in the process.

So far, the tail always wins and is still firmly attached to his furry butt to this day, despite his best efforts. It's hilarious to watch the process of, "Ohmigod. It's back! That big furry thing behind me, it's following me again. KILLL!!!!" And then the frenzy-spazz of tail chasing. And the catching and biting, which he interprets as the tail fighting back I think. And then he totally freaks (how *did* that wily tail get revenge so quick when he bit it?!) and runs for it, with the tail, of course, right behind him. He'll sneak these terrified glances back at it as he runs- because he's sure it hurt him and is chasing him down, and then he'll hide and forget about the great battle. Until next time, which is usually about the next day.

So, anyone else got any good weirdo-pet stories? :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL LGK! That's adorable ::)

Our Greta stalks my hair, too. It's long, and she loves to comb her claws through it when I'm sitting or lying down, and she'll work the knots out for me with her teeth.. she also loves to groom FI's scruff - and my legs if I haven't shaved for a few days :-o

Garet eats garlic. He'll bat it out of the onion canister, chase it 'round the floor, and pounce on it, flounce off in disgust at the taste, and inevitably come back for more in ten minutes. He's also a serial hair-tie thief, and will happily make off with anything Greta pulls off, and eventually bury it in the litterbox.

Mina is our contemplative cat. She'll meditate in front of the TV, or the computer monitor, or the mirror - she'll just sit there perfectly still and stare for twenty minutes at a time. And growl at you if you interrupt.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
My two current pooches don't really have any quirks, but i used to have a dog aptly named Gizmo because she was the cutest thing I've ever seen but the meanest 5lbs of fluff I have ever seen! She would reverse herself at thresholds. As in she would walk through any room in the normal front facing manor but as soon as she got to a threshold she would turn around behind facing the threshold and walk into the next room/yard/etc backwards till she was in the other room or yard and then would turn back around and walk normally.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Sasha has decided that our meal time is her meal time. No, I do not mean that she begs for table scraps. Rather, when she sees us sit down for dinner, she watches for a minute, then goes to her food bowl and takes little mouthfuls. She takes the mouthfuls into the front bedroom, and eats them then comes back for more. If she sees us get up, then dinner time is over and she goes about her business. :lol: :lol: :lol:

She also has decided that if she is allowed to sleep with me in bed, she must be ascloseaspossibleto me. Literally, I cannot move at night, not just for fear of squishing her, but because she lays herself into such positions as to trap me under the covers to where I cannot move because she is on top of me.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of pet quirks...
sometimes when my lab mix pup is sleeping, her tail randomly starts wagging really hard and thumping on the couch (or whatever surface she's sleeping on...)

I always wonder what on earth she's dreaming of!

yellowducky

Rough_Rock
Yssie said:

Our Greta stalks my hair, too. It's long, and she loves to comb her claws through it when I'm sitting or lying down, and she'll work the knots out for me with her teeth.. she also loves to groom FI's scruff - and my legs if I haven't shaved for a few days :-o

Garet eats garlic. He'll bat it out of the onion canister, chase it 'round the floor, and pounce on it, flounce off in disgust at the taste, and inevitably come back for more in ten minutes. He's also a serial hair-tie thief, and will happily make off with anything Greta pulls off, and eventually bury it in the litterbox.

Mina is our contemplative cat. She'll meditate in front of the TV, or the computer monitor, or the mirror - she'll just sit there perfectly still and stare for twenty minutes at a time. And growl at you if you interrupt.

hi yssie,

i've read that garlic/onion consumption can be harmful in cats (as well as dogs). just wanted to pass that along in case you weren't aware. hopefully your garlic-lovin' furry one isn't eating too much for it to cause harm.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yssie, that's funny your kitty actually is trying to groom you! I wish Rat would *de* tangle rather than try actively to mess it up. And Mina staring at herself... how silly, you sure do wonder what on earth they're thinking sometimes.... :tongue:

Dragonfly, Rat does that too a bit. If his food dish is hidden from us, he carries kibbles in piece by piece to wherever we are, and eats them there. Social eaters I guess!

Too bad you didn't get to videotape Gizmo doing the backwards-walking thing, stepcutgirl. That sounds absolutely hilarious!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yellowducky said:
Yssie said:

hi yssie,

i've read that garlic/onion consumption can be harmful in cats (as well as dogs). just wanted to pass that along in case you weren't aware. hopefully your garlic-lovin' furry one isn't eating too much for it to cause harm.

Yeah, I freaked out the first time and called the emergency clinic, they said unless he'd swallowed a significant amount it wasn't an issue - and to feed him water and stop him from doing it again! I've stuck my fingers in his mouth so many times to get stuff out, he's used to the drill - rubber bands, corks, pieces of paper, you name it, he'll chew on it. Like a very mobile, very agile baby ;(

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I walked out of my bedroom this morning to find this little stinker in the window. That window is probably 15" above the landing below it and 6" from the knee wall in the loft. But I don't know if I'm more horrified by him being up there or by how dirty the window is! Unfortunately it's on the outside and we can't reach it without a HUGE ladder!

Monty in window.jpg

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I have a Bombay mix kitty named Raven - she is such a packrat! If I leave my jewelry box open, inevitably things will go missing and turn up under the cushion of one of her beds!

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Lately one of our kitties has been stealing my hair ties, I keep finding them in his food dish!

Also we have been painting our kitchen and it seriously confused one of the cats. I watched him for about 5 minutes last night sitting in the middle of the kitchen looking at all the new colorful walls lol

We have another that tries to sneak by us to pry his way into the closet in the den. Whenever we say "No!" or "You know better!" he gets this guilty look on his face and meows in a way that seems to say "What, I wasn't going to do anything" Then when he thinks we are distracted, he'll try to sneak back to open it again lol

Oh, and my youngest plays fetch with us :)

The other day I made the mistake of leaving my lanyard out with keys on it. I finally found it the next morning after 30 minutes of searching in a large pot in a cupboard in the kitchen!

I could go on and on but I should probably do some work today :)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
RT watch the hair ties, if kitty eats one it could cause a serious issue with his bowels that would most likely require surgery. The last time I got a quote for bowel obstruction surgery on my cat it was $1800 and that was five years ago.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! Good to know, thanks HH!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Before he got sick :(( , Oscar had a distinctive way of communicating: He would go into the center hall and let out a very distinctive meow. I walk over and say "Show Mommy". If he trots into the TV room he's saying "ahem, it's time to clean the litter", if he goes into the kitchen he needs either water or food. If he goes into the living room he jumps onto a couch and it's cuddle time.

He doesn't do this much now that he's so sick :(( He prefers to just look out the window at the birds.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Ugh.... last night was the worst with the sleeping on top of me thing. I woke up in the middle of the night and she was laying on her side. I put my hand on her, and I couldn't feel her breathing :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: . I shook her and said her name.... nothing. I shook her some more... nothing. Finally I yelled at her and she slowly turned her head up at me and looked at me like W....T....F...IS YOUR PROBLEM??? Then got up and moved down between my feet. :nono:

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Pete, my older cat has figured out how to understand English. I have not figured out cat though. Since he likes to go outside when I come home he runs to the porch and I say "Hi Pete. How was your day?" He usually lets out 3 or 4 meows. If he is in the house and I call him he will look at me and let out 1 meow that I swear means "What?"

My newest baby is soooo funny. She cracks us up on a daily basis. She runs everywhere. Walking is not acceptable, but her depth perception is off. She have a small step that steps down from the living room into the rest of the house. Last night she was running her fastest through the house and jumped to clear the step, but she jumped too early landed right on the step. She also will go running and try to navigate the left into the bathroom, but makes the turn to early and runs right into the wall. Whenever she does something like this she stops and looks around like she is embarassed. I feel bad for her and worry that she is going to hurt herself.

This is the funniest thing she does. She has a nemesis and it is her right hind leg. It refuses to cooperate with her. I watched her for about 30 minutes the othe day and laughed the whole time. She was trying very hard to clean her "evil" leg and the whole time it kept kicking her in the face. Its like that leg isnt a part of her and she has no control over it. She tried and tried to lick and it just kept kicking her in the face. She bit it a couple times, but that did not deter the leg. It didnt stop kicking her until she got up and walked away.

Here is an updated picture of her. You can barely see the blue in her eyes. The center puts off odd colors like gray and red even when there is no camera flash. And to add to that we usually cant see the blue either because she is always on some mission that causes her pupils to take up her whole eye.

IMG00122.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results