shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on my elderly and ill Oscar

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Many of you were very gracious when I asked for prayers for Oscar who went to the dr. yesterday...unfortunately, it was the news we didn't want to hear.

Oscar is in acute renal failure. Given is age, his lymphoma and his kidney functions, the best they can offer is to admit him to the hospital {for probably a week}, flush him with fluids and try to get his remaining kidney down to a managable size and working again. There are other things wrong, but this is the biggie. He has a heart murmur. The cost of the hospitalization will be AT LEAST $2500 depending on how many tests and injections he needs. She wanted me to understand that she wasn't guaranteeing ANYTHING in terms of his recovery. He is, after all at least 13 years old. He was a rescue and we aren't sure of his exact age.

My husband and I will discuss it in depth this weekend. The vet said he isn't in any real pain at this point, but will shortly begin to suffer. I don't know how Oscar would handle being away from us and undergoing all those invasive tests. In my heart I know what we have to do, but I'm heartsick.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear this.

My heart would be in a million pieces as I love my pets too :(

I'll keep you in my thoughts

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear that Amber, my heart goes out to you. :((

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Im so sorry Amber, many *hugs* to you (and DH) as you go through this difficult time. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweetie Oscar.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I am so, so sorry that you are going through this. I'm heartbroken for you :blackeye:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear this. I know what you are going through-I just found out that my 13-14 year old Maltese may have cancer (we will find out Tues how bad it is)...it's so heartbreaking. Even if you know it's inevitable, just hearing it is so tough. Wishing the best for you and your family.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh huge hugs!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:((

I don't know what else to say...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry Amber. I wish the news was better. HUGS

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Amber im so so sorry. Im thinking of you, your fam and Oscar...

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry Amber. :(

Whatever you decide to do you have my full support. Sometimes life works in mysterious ways but all will work out for the best. I am keeping Oscar's well being in my thoughts and prayers.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Amber, I'm so, so sorry. Animals have a remarkable ability to let us know when it's their time, I hope you can enjoy time with your handsome Oscar until then. I just told mum about your sad news and she and I are heartbroken for you. We're keeping you, Oscar and your family in our thoughts xxx

BIG HUGS.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I'm very sorry to hear this.There is nothing else I can say.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry Amber. We had to have a cat put to sleep at 13 due to kidney problems. We couldnt see putting him through
the pain of additonal treatments that according to two vets would only prolong his life for a little while. It was heartbreaking.
I'm so sorry. I will be thinking of you and Oscar.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry you're going through this.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
i'm so sorry! i'll keep oscar in my prayers.. that is a terrible situation to be in. my own sweetie is very sick as well-- situations like this are absolutely heartbreaking. ;(

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, no, I'm so, so sorry Amber, my heart is breaking for you and DH :(sad . Even though we sometimes know what the 'right' thing to do is, that doesn't lessen the pain.

I'll be praying for you, your DH, and your darling Oscar.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry. You will know when it is time, but enjoy what you have and know that Oscar could never have asked for more than he has been given. I just had a cancer situation with one of mine and making drastic decisions for someone that has no say in the matter is one of the most nerve racking things I have ever done. I will still send dust, cats are funny animals and things can happen you don't expect.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I'm very sorry to read this, Amber. Big hugs for the three of you.

I agree that it's going to be a tough decision, but just do what you think is right for you and your DH (as far as the huge outlay of cash is concerned).

Please keep in touch. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results