shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat and Dog folks... question for ya

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have a cat or a dog, do you decorate with cat and dog items (paintings, figurines, etc.). I love my cats, but I always find it funny to get cat 'stuff' as a present (of course I am thankful for the thought and the gift). I have received many cat gifts, including a briefcase with a cat needlepoint scene on one side and am (admittedly) baffled by the decorating with cats thing. I have 4... they are everywhere and in everything-- so if their fur. I don't see myself needing fake cats or cat images too.

Although I have a kitty AV and screen saver-- those are pics of my personal cats. Or LOL cats. Which is different.

Insight? (And the briefcase is in the storage room, if I can remember where I packed it I will see about a pic, but I may have donated it.It was a graduation gift).

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, I hear you. I can't tell you how many times, over the years, that people have assumed that because I love animals and adore my cats I want stuff with cats on them! However, that's not my style at all, so the stuff usually goes straight to the Goodwill.

I guess it would be like people who love kids always getting Hummel figurines or something. I just don't get it!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I have a donkey and will occasionally get donkey knickknacks and paintings, but it's more one of a kind antique stuff. I do think it's elitist when people have all this decor espousing their particular breed of dog or cat. It's just as bad when people have those signs that say "parking for *insert ethnic group here* only!"

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
It's the "cat person" stereotype.

If you're surrounded by cats daily, people think you want cat stuff! I don't get it either! I love lots of things but it doesn't mean I want my home to turn into a shrine to them.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not anymore. If I hid the food/water bowls and beds, you wouldn't know we had dogs. No pics even.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha apparently I'm further on my way to Cat Lady than you lot :cheeky: I do like getting cat stuff - my best friend gave me a cat teapot for christmas that I adore, though FI says it creeps him out when I screw the head off to put the tea in..

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don't have either cats or dogs, but I do have bunnies and I don't have any bunny themed accessories in my home. I'm not really a knickknack person in general, and bunny things just seem too cutesy to put around my house. Luckily no one has given us any bunny things yet!

When we have kids, I'd love to do a bunny themed nursery - it's the perfect place for cute bunny stuff.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pug and while I love her to bits I don't necessarily want to decorate my home with pug knick knacks. I do have a cute pug themed picture hanging in my kitchen, but it sort of fits in there. Otherwise, we don't have pug-related stuff all over the house. I'm also not a knick knack fan in general so that sort of stuff gets sent to Goodwill/Salvation Army or (!) re-gifted.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have two cats and my family had a dog while I was growing up. No one has ever given us animal figurines or anything like that.

This thread reminds me of one of our neighbors. She's a hoot! We moved into our condos at the same time, and she was showing me around her place one day. She has a schnauzer who she treats as her child (she doesn't have any kids). You know those decorative flags that you can order and hang outside your house? She actually has 12 flags with her dog's picture on them, and they're proudly displayed on the walls of her condo. Why 12? Well, one for every month, of course. Yep, her dog is dressed as Santa for the December flag. There are fireworks as the backdrop for the July flag. And so on... :bigsmile:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie said:
Haha apparently I'm further on my way to Cat Lady than you lot :cheeky: I do like getting cat stuff - my best friend gave me a cat teapot for christmas that I adore, though FI says it creeps him out when I screw the head off to put the tea in..

haha Yssie

No, I don't get any cat stuff or animal stuff mostly because I've trained people to know I hate figurines and knick-knacks of any kind... :cheeky:

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Feline stuff? no. But I have gotten a lot of other strange ones over the years. Many people have given me CO stuff (I grew up here and love it) or really awful "Irish" stuff. Given how much I appreciate these places, if I wanted such things, I would probably have gotten them for myself. My oddest wedding gift was from one of my dad's cousins and it was a very heavy clay replica of an Irish cottage. Very odd and living in a box in the closet.

the best was my grandpa though. He hated any kind of knickknack. He was also a Republican politician, so people were constantly giving him statues and figurines of elephants. Because they were largely from important people he couldn't upset, he had to have them on display at all times; made him totally crazy. At least we can put ours in a closet.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a big no for me, although my cat has her own "stuff". She has her special scratching things, some toys, and a little kitty condo just for her.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't decorate with animal things, no.

I do have a metal cat holding a welcome sign in the front of our home, but that was a gift. Oh, and we also have a hilarious cat Chanukah menorah that we take for the holiday every year. That was also a gift. Otherwise, no animal decor in our home.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I don't decorate with cats...but I have been given a few pictures and potholders that are cats...I don't my mind my kitchen as some cat decor, but i draw the line there...nothing in the other rooms in the house. However, I have a picture of waltzing bears in my living room. I figured it was a light touch to counter my wallpaper and upholstery.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Another no from me.

Except I love cute kitty cards. Send me a birthday kitty card and I will love it; then recycle it.

I would love to post a picture of the card I bought DH for his birthday. A cartoon image of a dog walking out of a sleazy looking adult dog store with a big grin and a box which reads " inflatable leg". :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results