shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm considering getting AC

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I have lived in CO most of my life and have yet to live in a place with AC. It can get hot, but a fan and jumping in the shower before going to bed is what I do. Most people I know do not have it, even in really nice houses. There are some places, like southern CA, where I have always assumed everyone had AC.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
brazen_irish_hussy said:
There are some places, like southern CA, where I have always assumed everyone had AC.

Most certainly not, especially if you live near the beach and especially the west-facing beaches because they get the strongest ocean breeze.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I agree with those that said to get it for the bedroom. That way, you can trust yourself not to put it on all day and run up your ac bill.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Kenny- I'm way inland from you, near pasadena. It was 104 on friday! But you know what? I have AC at home, and haven't used AC in the past 15 years. My house is like yours and stays cool inside pretty much all day. The hottest point was about 6pm. Out where my bf lives, in Hermosa Beach, he doesn't even have AC because it never gets above 85, even when the SG valley is over 100. I imagine SM is like that too. I can understand if you dont give in!

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
We have central AC, and glad we do. Being in the philly area of NJ its been over 100 many days this season.

My father lives outside of San Fran and doesn't have AC, but with these weird temp variations now, he sometimes wishes he does.

Just get it, and set a temp to use it. I dont turn on unless its going to be above 90 out.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I'm more surprised of the people who don't use AC!

It doesn't get ridiculously hot in SFL, mainly because we live near the water. We still could not survive without AC. It's so uncomfortable to sleep when you're next to someone who gives off body heat and all you have to cool yourself off is a fan that is circulating hot air :knockout:

As for electric bill, ours is only $80 each month and that's with the AC never being turned off. We have it set so that while we are gone, it is 80^ and it switches to 75^ an hour before we get home. Around 9pm it switches to 70^. When we're on vacation, we have it set to 85. Turning it on and off is what really cranks up those bills.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We moved into an old house with no A/C 4 months ago. We're about 5 miles from the ocean in San Diego and I've already declared we'll be purchasing a window unit for the baby's room. The poor thing has heat rash from the past few days. Thank goodness it's cooled down. My husband gently reminds me many people have survived in this house without A/C since it was built, I don't care I'm miserable without it and it's not fair to the baby. We'll be spending lots of time in her room once it's installed.

All that being said, do it.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, GET IT!!! You'll be so glad you did! I'm with everyone who is surprised that you don't have it already. I guess I always assumed that CA was hot and everyone there had AC? Of course, I've never been to CA so I could be way off base.

I remember growing up as a kid in MD. It was hot. I mean Hot. And humid. And just naaaasty every summer. We had one window unit and it was in my parents' room. Everyone hung out in their room all day long! LOL! When we moved to a new house, we had central air, and I've had it ever since. I wouldn't be willing to move into a house without it now! I've gotten spoiled I guess! :devil:

ETA: Also, I agree with Deco. Kizzy and Yaya will be sooooo happy to have it! Tucker, our French Bulldog, can't live in a house without AC, since he's a brachycephalic breed and they have trouble cooling themselves through panting. I'm sure Kizzy and Yaya don't have that problem, but they'll still love it!!! :bigsmile:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we are a nation of whimps: we drive cars rather than buggies pulled by horses, we eat watermelon in december that is imported from mexico or elsewhere, etc. so get over it already and get that AC!!!!!! :lol:

however, you are right: i grew up in the 50's in the california central valley and it got HOT.....but we did not have AC in our car [that's what windows were for] and we did not have AC in the house [fans were around, though].

i'm still in california and our central AC went out in august of 2007......it got to 110 in the shade here. no, i do not want to go back to the good old days, thank you! :D

and just 'cause you have it doesn't mean you have to use it 24/7: we have on only on the really hot days, turn it off at night and open the windows to allow the cool night air in.....and we also have ceiling fans. using ceiling fans allows us to set the thermostate 2 degrees higher as the movement of air keeps the air mixed and it feels cooler. if you do get the window AC do not discount supplementing with fans of one sort or another.

mz

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
I just saw this thread. I LOLed. I keep my AC on all year, including during the winter. My apartment is like an ice box. I love it that way.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a huge wimp, and I love my AC. We're in Chicago, and it's been in the 90s and 100s the last few weeks and I cannot imagine NOT having AC.

I'm just not a warm weather girl, though. I love the summer because I don't have to work, but man oh man have I been pining away for fall. Give me a good snow storm over 100 degree weather any day!

The point about resale is good, though. I don't know what the norm is in your area, but we passed up a really great house when we were house hunting because it didn't have AC. The estimates were all around 20K to install it, and we just weren't interested in doing that.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
brazen_irish_hussy said:
I have lived in CO most of my life and have yet to live in a place with AC. It can get hot, but a fan and jumping in the shower before going to bed is what I do. Most people I know do not have it, even in really nice houses. There are some places, like southern CA, where I have always assumed everyone had AC.

This is exactly what I do, and I also live in CO... Dry heat, but it's still hot out! The worst time of day is between 4:30-9:30 PM. All the heat from the daytime seeps into the home and gets stuck (we don't have enough roof vents- only one :sick: ). It takes until the middle of the night for the house to cool off.

We're seriously considering getting central air, BUT with each hot day that I survive I think to myself, "Oh, that wasn't so bad, was it?" Then again, I'm a young sprite! ;)) By the time I hit middle-aged and beyond, I toootally plan on having AC.

Perhaps a window unit IS the way to go? I mean, how much will one window unit increase your electricity bill?

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Haven said:
I'm a huge wimp, and I love my AC. We're in Chicago, and it's been in the 90s and 100s the last few weeks and I cannot imagine NOT having AC.

I'm just not a warm weather girl, though. I love the summer because I don't have to work, but man oh man have I been pining away for fall. Give me a good snow storm over 100 degree weather any day!

The point about resale is good, though. I don't know what the norm is in your area, but we passed up a really great house when we were house hunting because it didn't have AC. The estimates were all around 20K to install it, and we just weren't interested in doing that.

If I was in Chicago, I'd be a wimp as well! My goodness is it HUMID there! I grew up in Cleveland thinking it was bad, but boy... Chicago is worse. I visited my sister there two summers ago in her little studio apartment and did not feel clean, dry, or energetic for three full days. That humidity sucks the life outta ya. Dry heat, IMHO, is much more bearable.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Atlanta and I don't think I could survive without central air. It's not so much the heat, but the humidity. I'm also allergic to sweat so getting too hot for me is a no-no if I don't want to break out in hives. :errrr:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fan is enough. With enough hydration, sweat will be cooling enough.

In Raleigh now.

Used to be in Singapore.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
brazen_irish_hussy said:
It can get hot, but a fan and jumping in the shower before going to bed is what I do.

For me that is worse, I usually overheat after a cool shower so making it more uncomfortable. Always early morning shower after exercise.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
kenny said:
brazen_irish_hussy said:
There are some places, like southern CA, where I have always assumed everyone had AC.

Most certainly not, especially if you live near the beach and especially the west-facing beaches because they get the strongest ocean breeze.

That sounds delightful.

Jen

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
After the last few days in New York City, it's hard to imagine how people tolerated such heat before AC.
Maybe we are wimps....but for safety's sake, the elderly, and those weakened by physical ailments are strongly encouraged by the City of New York Public affairs to seek one of the cities cooling center.
Having said all that...Kenny, I think you should stop being a wimp, and sweat it out..KIDDING!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RD a couple years ago I made the mistake of staying with a friend in Brooklyn for a week in the heat of the summer without AC.
I was miserable and felt I was going to die in that humidity.

At least here in Los Angeles near the beach it's usually tolerable.
Like I said it is only about 10 days a year that I start whining. ;(

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Opulent luxury or not, I can't do without it! When it's 90-100 degrees here in Michigan, plus the disgusting humidity... I actually get physically ill. (Bowel trouble, headaches, nausea, chills, etc...) I don't mind paying for that creature comfort!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny said:
RD a couple years ago I made the mistake of staying with a friend in Brooklyn for a week in the heat of the summer without AC.
I was miserable and felt I was going to die in that humidity.

At least here in Los Angeles near the beach it's usually tolerable.
Like I said it is only about 10 days a year that I start whining. ;(

Kenny, next time you come, will you stop up for a cup of coffee? ( you can bring one of those portable poison testers..hehe)

Seriously, I'd love to meet you if you're ever on 47th Street. We even have AC

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, sure.
It would be fun.

Now, let's get back to RT so we can get back to fighting. :bigsmile:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A/C is necessary for anyone dealing with allergy/asthma issues. So even if I didn't live in TX (where it can be hot from April to November, and on the odd day of any month of the year), I would still have an A/C for my allergies.

If you've always been comfortable without one, fine. If you're getting hotter by the minute, go get one!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
We own the house, which was made in 1920s and has very thick heavy stucco/plaster walls so it actually stays cool through the morning.
We have an inside/outside thermometer and I open/close windows when the two temps match in the summer and winter to take advantage of the natural daily cycle.
There are overhangs shading most south and west windows.
So we got it pretty good in terms of the structure itself and how we use it.

There are only about 10 days a year when I pine for AC.
The problem is I'm human and if we get AC I'll bet I'd use it for 100 days a year, not 10. :|

Your house sounds a lot like mine! I have a bungalow style house with wood siding, but with lathe and plaster interior walls and dead space that help keep things cool. It also has a large front porch and generous eaves that help keep things cool.

Anyhow, I'm sure you're investigating your options carefully. One thing about the wwf rather than an AC -- someone has to be here when things cool down outside to open the house and turn the fan on, or you don't get the cool. So when I go out of town for more than a few days in the summer, I board my cat so so she's not stuck in a hot house all day. Having a sitter come in for a little while each day isn't an option.

But now that I think about it, you probably already know about that!

Anyhow, good luck with your decision.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't have AC..we live in N.CA. we used to have it in our old place but our house doesn't have it. we thought about getting it for the baby's room but he doesn't really seem to need it either. So far we have had a few 90+ degree days here but it's dry...and our house stays pretty cool up until afternoon when the hours of sun start to penetrate. We have ceiling fans in our bedroom and the baby's which help immensely, and it has only been maybe 2 or 3 hours total this year that I have thought 'we really should get AC'. Our room gets really cool at night even when it's been 90 degrees during the day so we run a fan through it for cool air flow.

FWIW... at our old place we wouldn't turn AC on til it reached 80 in the house anyway as it wouldn't even seem warm, so we hardly used AC anyway. It's a 'nice to have' IMO in this area. Actually one of the things that turns me off the most in thinking about moving to a diff climate would be HAVING to have AC like in NC or MA or an area with humidity and heat. I dislike constant forced air... and I don't like having a fan blowing air on me either when I am sleeping, it would be hard to have to have AC on all the time.

Actually Kenny, funny you brought this up because I remember some article Greg was reading last year that talked about AC as one of many reasons with why people could tend to carry more weight these days...something about how in the old days AC was less prevalent and so it forces your body to work harder, burn more calories etc to stay cooler, couple this with people having to walk more places and/or not as many people having cars... but nowadays people tend to drive to lots of places and have AC everywhere so our bodies don't have to work as hard. I am prob not remembering it totally correctly but you get the jist.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Just ten days a year? You'll be fine without ac! I would just get a fan and get a good cross breeze across the house.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We do not have central air. We do have a window unit, finally purchased by FI (unbeknownst to me) in late May, this year. It's been a godsend.

I've always had a/c, with the exception of one year in the dorms in college before I moved into apartments either by myself or with roomies. I don't necessarily like a cold chill in the air that a/c often gives, but I do like the overall cooling factor.

Simply having it in our bedroom, which is on the second floor, makes so much difference. We're in the midwest, in the midst of very hot temps and high humidity, and before we installed the window unit I was really miserable. I would sleep with ice packs at night even after taking cold showers before bed. Intimacy was nonexistent due to the fact that I just did not want to sweat anymore (sorry--I know that is TMI but it's the way it was!) Chores--forget it--cooking meals, washing dishes, vacuuming, laundry, I was sweating bullets and so was FI. I don't know how he ever lived without at least the window unit so he could step into the bedroom and just cool off.

Look, if there was a nice continuous breeze here, it would be maybe easier to say "no" to a/c. Since we're landlocked (with the exception of a huge man-made lake a bit south of here), it doesn't make sense to primarily cool the house we rent with fans and expect to not only survive, but thrive...neither of us was comfortable. We love love love the window unit and I'm sorry, we recycle everything so a/c carbon footprint be damned 4 months of this year.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results