shape
carat
color
clarity

Paper Luminaries and Battery-Operated Candles

Should Be Studying

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies! I put myself on a computer timeout because I have to study for the Bar, but I saw an idea that I wanted to share. http://theeverydaybride.blogspot.com/2009/01/luminaries-luminaria-paper-lanterns_15.html.

Martha Stewart has a way to spruce them up a bit with doilies: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/lacy-luminarias. I was thinking about making them to line the pathway to the reception, but I worried about the fire hazard, especially with children around/wind blowing (although sand, and apparently kitty litter help to weigh them down).

So, I looked into battery-operated tealights and found them on ebay for a great price! I used ebay seller best-electronic store and my candles arrived in three days. If any of your venues do not allow candles, these are a pretty good alternative, especially if covered because they provide warm light. Hope someone else finds this helpful.

:wavey:

vanilla87

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE those luminaries!! i think they look beautiful and have a real vintage feel :)

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for posting these! I LOVE candlelight but our venue has a "one votive candle per table and it must be surrounded by water" rule ;( . I was thinking of using battery operated candles but couldn't think of a container to put them that didn't scream "tacky". This is perfect! and so simple! I'm thinking gift, head and cake tables!
Thanks so much, shouldbe!

Should Be Studying

Shiny_Rock
I am glad you like them vanilla and jaylex! I love finding things that don't cost a lot but add nice touches. I am really starting to enjoy the idea of some DIY projects...it makes everything seem more personal, at least to me.

Jaylex, I think your idea for the head, gift, and cake tables sounds great. The sites I linked to have some options for cheap ivory/cream bags (if that's what you're looking for), but I will probably go to Michael's first and use a coupon. We'll see...either way I don't think these will break the bank.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Should Be Studying said:
I am glad you like them vanilla and jaylex! I love finding things that don't cost a lot but add nice touches. I am really starting to enjoy the idea of some DIY projects...it makes everything seem more personal, at least to me.

Jaylex, I think your idea for the head, gift, and cake tables sounds great. The sites I linked to have some options for cheap ivory/cream bags (if that's what you're looking for), but I will probably go to Michael's first and use a coupon. We'll see...either way I don't think these will break the bank.

I love the idea of DIY projects, but I'm always afraid that I will mess them up :(
But these luminaries seem pretty fool-proof!

I'm def. going to search around the net and local craft stores to see what I can find. My "color" is slate blue (the girls dresses), my flowers are yellow, green and pink, and my dress is white with a champagne looking embroidered design. I'm thinking I'll do cream and white luminaries? Or just cream? Or just white? or cream and (try to find) blue? Ahhh.. idk! lol.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
arent battery operated candles muy expensive??? or have they come down a bit? maybe if you buy in bulk you can save some $$

Should Be Studying

Shiny_Rock
Jaylex, I also want to see colors in person before I choose. I am sure it will be a lot easier to choose like that than it is to pick from a computer screen.

sig, they are pretty expensive compared to votives. I bought 72 on ebay for $36.50 (free shipping), which seemed very reasonable considering I was seeing them for $1 each on some sites. My mom saw them today at BJs for $9.99 for a pack of 24, so that's an even better deal. So while they are definitely more expensive than votives (especially from sites like candles4less), they aren't too bad if you shop around.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh ok...i've seen them for sale at some other stores and they are like $8 each?!?!?! but it seems like you found a good deal. awesome!

Should Be Studying

Shiny_Rock
Oh, maybe the votives or larger candles are that expensive (although I am sure they could be cheaper online or in bulk), but I was referring to the tealights. Sorry, I should have been clearer!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
haha okay! yeah if you just buy one at like bed bath and beyond they are $$$...great idea though! i love this look :) :) so romantic :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results