shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal: ring in box or just the ring?

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend last night told me of a proposal story of someone she knows. She said the guy was intending to propose at the top of a light house (romantic), but he had just the ring in his pocket and it got stuck on lint and/or threading in his pocket. He had to scrap the proposal because he physically couldn''t get the ring out! He subsequently proposed at a non-romantic restaurant.

Besides any pocket removal SNAFU, it could get scratched or even fall out and get lost. I''m wondering if, when I go to actually propose, if I should present the box and then open it to display the ring, or just pull the ring out? Even before hearing the story above, I''m pretty convinced I should go with the ring in the box. I just thought I''d check, though.

getting excited

Shiny_Rock
I am definitely an "in the box" kinda girl. There is just something about a man bringing out the ring box and then opening it for his soon to be fiance. I just love it!

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
That settles that. Thanks!

BeachBum83

Rough_Rock
Trade
Definitely in the box...good luck!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
In the box.

NoobInNeed

Rough_Rock
Hmmm. This gives me a proposal idea...

See the attached picture from my Halloween custom in 2007 (I''m on the right) for what I''m thinking of.

KIDDING!!!!
3.gif

DIAB.jpg

There is just something about your FF getting down on one knee and opening the box, wow chills!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm, ring boxes are so enormous these days. You''re gonna need a BIG pocket ;-)

I don''t care how a ring is presented to me, as long as it''s given to me by my SO.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I, too, would prefer the box. If the box the ring comes with is too large, you can probably find a smaller box that would be pocket sized.

Messiah Khan

Rough_Rock
I''m going with a box for when I propose in a few weeks. I''m having a custom box made to match the ring, as I think it adds little bit extra to the magic. It also provides somewhere for the ring to be safely stores if she ever needs to take it off.
1.gif

tigerlily83

Rough_Rock
+1, I think the ring box only amplifies the presentation.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I vote for ''in the box'' :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes box you don''t want to drop it!

also there is that magical moment of seeing your FF open the box...(which hopefully I will get to experience soon :) )

Captain Ice

Rough_Rock
You have to have the box!!!

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
Yes, definitely in the box! There is something really special about opening the box and the ring being inside. It's a little iconic.

ETA: Oh, oh! And you can also get her a really pretty box that she can keep forever.

JonnyL

Rough_Rock
hey noob, what kind of box are you getting? i just got mine custom made and she did a really great job. Just thought I would throw it out there if you were looking for anything specific. Mine is made of polymer clay and its heart shaped :)

Toastie

Rough_Rock
Trade
In the box... there is something special about presenting the ring to you in that box, and it opening.

FluroJacket

Rough_Rock
Perhaps I might be reading between lines that arent there, but might your girlfriend be dropping a hint anout how she wants it??

I also think in the box...

jadedpony

Rough_Rock
Trade
I did it with the ring in the box. It was awkward though since I was dressed up but never really wear a jacket and there was no way that box was fitting in any of my pockets. I ended carrying a jacket in my one hand "in-case" I needed it as it was getting late and darker out.

In the end I forced myself to use the box and liked the result of flipping it open better than fumbling around in my pocket or possibly dropping the ring as I took it out especially since I was on a wooden bridge.

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
I vote ''ring in the box'' as well! Also, you can find very pretty ring boxes (cheap!) if you are not
happy with the one you get from your jeweler. I personally love this one:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/186-2967551-2254355?asin=B0013KQ76W&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B0013KQ76W&CPNG=jewelry&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
totally in the box!!! a ROMANTIC proposal down one one knee.. not the kind of box in that picture. lol ;))

AdamJE

Rough_Rock
I actually took it a step further and had the box gift-wrapped. I know my girl is a big fan of opening presents, so I did the whole romantic setting, get on one knee and propose thing, then I gave her the box to unwrap and open. She loved it. I think it's probably a question of what you think she will prefer--we're all different. Either way, best of luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results