shape
carat
color
clarity

Claw prongs from JA

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
We''re about to purchase a 2 ct cushion from James Allen. I''m in love with the double prong, tapered baguette setting from Leon but since we just bought a place, I''m going with a simple 2.2 mm wire basket solitaire from JA: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/ring/item_57-1896_design.asp?module=setting Maybe we''ll get the Leon later.

JA wants to charge $50 to modify the current prongs to claw prongs. In the 3D rendering, the setting appears to have claws but in the photos of recent rings sold, they look like bead prongs.

Questions - Is $50 worth it to change it into a single claw prong? Will I even notice it? Is that a good price? I know it''s not much but this is a temporary-ish setting.

If I want double claw prongs, it''ll cost $200 extra.

Does anyone have a single or double claw prong setting from JA? Any links to pictures?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Oh weird, I noticed the same thing, in the 3d pic it does look like claw prongs.

depends on how important it is to you? I''d just leave it as is and then upgrade the whole setting later if you want.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 6:49:40 PM
Author: slg47
Oh weird, I noticed the same thing, in the 3d pic it does look like claw prongs.

depends on how important it is to you? I''d just leave it as is and then upgrade the whole setting later if you want.

I 100% agree. Upgrade the whole thing later when you are really ready to get what you want.

Not that you asked, but I''ve thought about it, and I don''t love claw prongs on round diamonds for some reason. I like bead prongs b/c you see less prong and more diamond. Beads don''t disrupt the circle of the RB the way claws do. My friend''s T & Co RB three stone ring has bead prongs around the center diamond and you can barely see the prongs at all. All you see is RB and it looks so "WOW." If a RB is set in a square halo, the claws make sense b/c you are trying to "square shape" the round, and claws help do that. But if you like the round look, then why get a prong that takes away from the circle? Just a thought. :)

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
I love LM settings and the claw prongs. And I''m hoping at some point to get a LM piece, but I probably wouldn''t ask someone to try and replicate his work (I''d be really sad if it less than met my expectations). I''d just wait til I could buy the real thing.

I hope by the time I can get a LM ring, he is not so famous that he won''t work with me!! :razz:

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 7:17:24 PM
Author: Isabelle

I 100% agree. Upgrade the whole thing later when you are really ready to get what you want.

Not that you asked, but I''ve thought about it, and I don''t love claw prongs on round diamonds for some reason. I like bead prongs b/c you see less prong and more diamond. Beads don''t disrupt the circle of the RB the way claws do. My friend''s T & Co RB three stone ring has bead prongs around the center diamond and you can barely see the prongs at all. All you see is RB and it looks so ''WOW.'' If a RB is set in a square halo, the claws make sense b/c you are trying to ''square shape'' the round, and claws help do that. But if you like the round look, then why get a prong that takes away from the circle? Just a thought. :)
Thank you for the comments. I''m buying a rectangularish stone, so I''m trying to emphasize it''s square-ness(?) Should I get the claw prongs then?

I know there''s no way JA can make a Leon claw prong. I was just hoping it would tie me over until the time came. But $430 for what should be a cheapish setting, and then $50 for the prongs does seem to make it, well, less cheap.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In reality, prongs are pretty hard to see anyways when done properly so as to be as unobtrusive as possible. In your shoes I would probably just ask them to make their usual prongs and make them as delicate and small as possible while still being safe.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 8:41:56 PM
Author: iota15

Not that you asked, but I''ve thought about it, and I don''t love claw prongs on round diamonds for some reason. I like bead prongs b/c you see less prong and more diamond. Beads don''t disrupt the circle of the RB the way claws do. My friend''s T & Co RB three stone ring has bead prongs around the center diamond and you can barely see the prongs at all. All you see is RB and it looks so ''WOW.'' If a RB is set in a square halo, the claws make sense b/c you are trying to ''square shape'' the round, and claws help do that. But if you like the round look, then why get a prong that takes away from the circle? Just a thought. :)

Thank you for the comments. I''m buying a rectangularish stone, so I''m trying to emphasize it''s square-ness(?) Should I get the claw prongs then?

I know there''s no way JA can make a Leon claw prong. I was just hoping it would tie me over until the time came. But $430 for what should be a cheapish setting, and then $50 for the prongs does seem to make it, well, less cheap.

Why isn''t there any way JA can make a claw prong that looks as great as Leon Mege? Of course they can. For a square diamond, I would get the claw prongs. I would spring for the double claw if it is a larger diamond. Otherwise, single claw.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 9:17:44 PM

Why isn''t there any way JA can make a claw prong that looks as great as Leon Mege? Of course they can. For a square diamond, I would get the claw prongs. I would spring for the double claw if it is a larger diamond. Otherwise, single claw.
I''m pretty sure JA can never make double or single claw prongs as delicate and beautiful as Leon. I understand JA''s settings are all cast, whereas Leons are for the most part, handmade from wires and such. You''ll notice JA''s prongs are generally, if not entirely straight. Leon''s are swoopy and even taper in size. His prongs are thicker closer to the diamond and thinner as it reaches the base of the setting. They''re just Gorgeous!
30.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 6:45:31 PM
Author:iota15
We''re about to purchase a 2 ct cushion from James Allen. I''m in love with the double prong, tapered baguette setting from Leon but since we just bought a place, I''m going with a simple 2.2 mm wire basket solitaire from JA: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/ring/item_57-1896_design.asp?module=setting Maybe we''ll get the Leon later.

JA wants to charge $50 to modify the current prongs to claw prongs. In the 3D rendering, the setting appears to have claws but in the photos of recent rings sold, they look like bead prongs.

Questions - Is $50 worth it to change it into a single claw prong? Will I even notice it? Is that a good price? I know it''s not much but this is a temporary-ish setting.

If I want double claw prongs, it''ll cost $200 extra.

Does anyone have a single or double claw prong setting from JA? Any links to pictures?
Judging from the wire basket video the prongs already wrap over the stone similar in style to the claw prongs. I am not sure with this design that it makes a big difference if they are more pointy and "claw" like but if it means a lot to you than go for it.

Often times, round prongs look pointy and stick straight up, they don''t wrap over the stone like in this setting so I''d say you are already most of the way there.

In terms of double prongs in general the two prongs will be smaller and each less noticeable than one larger prong, either single or double would work fine for a 2Ct stone it is a personal preference.

If you decide on single or double make sure to provide them with clear pictures of the small refined look you are going for.

I think the current prongs or single or double like Leon prongs will all make the stone look just about the same level of "squareness".

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2010 10:24:30 PM
Date: 6/29/2010 9:17:44 PM

I''m pretty sure JA can never make double or single claw prongs as delicate and beautiful as Leon. I understand JA''s settings are all cast, whereas Leons are for the most part, handmade from wires and such. You''ll notice JA''s prongs are generally, if not entirely straight. Leon''s are swoopy and even taper in size. His prongs are thicker closer to the diamond and thinner as it reaches the base of the setting. They''re just Gorgeous!
30.gif

Wow. You feel about Leon the way I feel about Tiffany. Are you sure there is absolutely no way you can call Leon to discuss getting him to make your ring? With as much love as you have for his work, maybe he would work with you on a payment plan or something. What is the price difference we are talking here? Don''t give up on something that you really want for a few hundred dollars. I know it feels like a lot but if you ate out lunch and dinner a few days less a month, in no time you would have that money recouped AND the ring that you will look at every day of your life. If at all possible, get the Leon, even if you have to borrow from mom and dad.
35.gif

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I understand JA''s settings are all cast, whereas Leons are for the most part, handmade from wires and such.

iota,

That''s not actually true. While most of our rings do use cast heads, several of the solitaires, pave baskets, and most of the Meno Collection are all hand made from platinum or gold wire. Just wanted to clarify!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 10:06:40 AM
Author: James Allen Schultz

I understand JA's settings are all cast, whereas Leons are for the most part, handmade from wires and such.

iota,

That's not actually true. While most of our rings do use cast heads, several of the solitaires, pave baskets, and most of the Meno Collection are all hand made from platinum or gold wire. Just wanted to clarify!

Thanks, Jim, for this clarification. I do hope this PS myth that Leon is the only benchman working with wire will be dispelled.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
If you want a visual comparison, Brown Eyed Girl and I both have ovals in the same James Allen setting. Hers has the claw prongs, mine does not. I''d post pics, but I''m having trouble doing so at the moment.

My ring

Her ring with claws

Hope that helps with your decision.

GamGam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I recently received my round halo from James Allen, and it has the daintiest claw prongs. It was a custom mounting. I posted photos in SMTB. If you can''t find them, I maybe can post a link.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 10:29:58 AM
Author: Honey228
If you want a visual comparison, Brown Eyed Girl and I both have ovals in the same James Allen setting. Hers has the claw prongs, mine does not. I''d post pics, but I''m having trouble doing so at the moment.

My ring

Her ring with claws

Hope that helps with your decision.
Thank you so much, Honey! That was a great help. Your oval is spectacular, by the way.

The claw prongs on your custom are fantastic, Gamgam. I wonder if the claw prongs on a non-custom will be that good?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results