shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadians: is your tax include or added?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I''m asking as I''m looking to purchase a designer item and it is slightly cheaper in Canada--but of course will be even cheaper if I can get the tax back. I''m curious if it''s added on or inclusive like in Europe.

Thanks!

So_In_Love

Rough_Rock
Hi Janine,
our tax is added to the price at checkout, and the tax % depends on the province where you''re buying your item. In ontario the sales tax is 13%
32.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 10:36:21 AM
Author: So_In_Love
Hi Janine,
our tax is added to the price at checkout, and the tax % depends on the province where you're buying your item. In ontario the sales tax is 13%
32.gif
yikes, guess that's why you have a better healthcare system
emsmile.gif

thanks, i'm assuming i can get a portion of that back as a tourist. This purchase would be made in quebec.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
They add it at point of sale.

You don't get the "tax back" as a tourist. They don't care who is buying it from them and are not going to check to see if you are a tourist or not. They need to pay it to the provincial/federal government and thus need to collect it. It's a sales tax, rather than income tax, so they don't care if you don't actually live here for it.

I am in Alberta and only pay 5%, but if I "tour" to neighbouring British Columbia I have to pay 12%. But there are ways to prevent people from coming to Alberta and buying, say, new vehicles and taking them back to the province over and trying to save thousands in taxes (i.e. residency requirements). Though they can come here and buy designer clothes and only pay 5% and go back. It is a bit confusing, but there are checks and balances there.

If I buy goods from the U.S. and have them shipped, I pay taxes on those goods at my applicable rate. I did not have to pay the sales tax on them at the point of sale as online vendors generally only apply the state tax to goods being shipped into the state, but Canada Customs will apply my tax rate to it (so 5% for me). If I drive across the border to the US and buy goods, and bring them back, I pay the taxes at point of sale in the state (i.e. Montana), and any duties when I bring it back if it exceeds my maximum allowable for that trip.

Taxes range from province to province, depending on whether they charge GST (always 5%) and PST (which varies), GST only (i.e. Alberta - woohooo!) or HST (harmonized sales tax). In Quebec I think the PST is about 7.5% and GST is 5%.

Some goods only attract one tax (not the ones you mentioned though) and so on, but the HST screws that system over a bit more (still some exemptions).

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 10:53:54 AM
Author: RaiKai
They add it at point of sale.

You don''t get the ''tax back'' as a tourist. They don''t care who is buying it from them and are not going to check to see if you are a tourist or not. They need to pay it to the provincial/federal government and thus need to collect it.

I am in Alberta and only pay 5%, but if I ''tour'' to neighbouring British Columbia I have to pay 12%. But there are ways to prevent people from coming to Alberta and buying, say, new vehicles and taking them back to the province over and trying to save taxes (i.e. residency requirements). Though they can come here and buy designer clothes and only pay 5% and go back. It is a bit confusing, but there are checks and balances there.

If I buy goods from the U.S. and have them shipped, I pay taxes on those goods. I did not have to pay the sales tax on them at the point of sale, but Canada Customs will apply my tax rate to it (so 5% for me). If I drive across the border to the US and buy goods, and bring them back, I pay the taxes at point of sale in the state (i.e. Montana), and any duties when I bring it back if it exceeds my maximum allowable for that trip.

Taxes range from province to province, depending on whether they charge GST (always 5%) and PST (which varies), GST only (i.e. Alberta - woohooo!) or HST (harmonized sales tax). In Quebec I think the PST is about 7.5% and GST is 5%.

Some goods only attract one tax (not the ones you mentioned though) and so on, but the HST screws that system over a bit more (still some exemptions).
I recall visiting in the past and in fact receiving tax refund on a portion (after filling out paperwork and submitting etc). Same in Europe. I do not remember percentages as it''s been awhile but seemed pretty fair.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Well, to qualify, I think they USED to allow a visitor rebate on GST/HST. I think they discontinued it a few years ago. (ETA: the link below indicates they cancelled it in 2007).

I believe Ontario still will give a rebate on PST (I only heard about this so cannot be positive) to foreign tourists but they are switching to HST in July, so that won't work anymore.

Oh here, they have a "new program", but it only appears to work on certain accommodations and such, not consumer goods:

Incentive Program

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results