clarity

Do you want to move?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... or are you happy with your home?

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Some days I''m pretty happy. I''ve put a lot of work into fixing my house up, and take a lot of pride in that. Other times, I''d love to move to someplace newer and more secluded.

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I actually really like our condo. We have a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom condo and we got it for a steal. My problem is that we live in Utah and I hate it here. We are going to move back to Seattle in the next fews years b/c my whole family is there.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MOVE.

We're not in a house, though, we have an apt. It's a nice enough apt but it's still an apt with three cats, and sometimes noisy neighbours, and no yard to call our own, and rent due each month...

Trouble is there's no point in moving to a new apt (though wood floors instead of carpet would be awesome..), and there's no point in buying a house out here right now when A) we're moving back to the east coast once FI finishes his PhD in a year or so, and B) for what we'd put down here we could just buy outright back in MD
14.gif

So I'll just have to deal for a year, and rearrange and redecorate every so often.

ETA: Actually now that I think about it, I want something just like my parents' house in the woods, only with even more land and a couple of horses.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to move!!! I am looking forward to a semi-retirement type of house. One level living. It''s a few years away though. Tons of work to complete before we can sell this house.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I really qualify to answer this question... but I don''t want to move. This house has good points and bad points and I would NEVER purchase this place or choose to live in it if I had better options, but it is really big and decent enough for the next 2 years. I don''t want to move from this town though, I feel like I just got here!

I''d like to know more specifically what you''re thinking - do you mean from your house or your area?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I like my house. We have spent over 2 years fully renovating it and making it lovely. However, I really don't like how small the lots are in my neighborhood or how close the houses are. Especially when I have white trash neighbors living on one side of me who are loud, obnoxious, don't often cut their grass/keep up their yard....

This house was a gift to us by DH's parents, so we have no mortgage. If it weren't for that, I would move in a heartbeat!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m torn.

I really like our current townhouse. We''re comfortable here and have all of our stuff set up. And I hate moving!

However, our townhouse isn''t in the best location - the neighborhood doesn''t have much to do, and it''s 30min from DH''s work. We moved here because it was between both of our jobs, but now that I might be working at the same place as him, it''s kind of silly that we''re all the way out in CT. All of our friends live near his work as well, so we''d be more social if it didn''t take 30-60 minutes to visit everyone.

So I''d love to live in a different location, but I love our townhouse and hate moving enough that we''ll probably just stay until we''re ready to buy a house (which would be in 3 years I think).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love our home. I knew I loved it the moment I walked into it, and in the two years we''ve lived here I''ve grown to love it more.

It''s a 1480 sq ft ranch home in a suburb just north of Chicago. I love the location. Our yard backs up to a bird sanctuary, which borders a bike path, which borders a train. I love trains and I love that I can hear them going by. We''re only two miles from the lake, and a mile from my favorite outdoor summer music venue. We can be in the city in 20 minutes, but we still get to live in a nice, quiet neighborhood. Our backyard is like a sanctuary from the world.

Most of all, I love the actual home itself. It''s a little funky with vaulted ceilings, walls of windows, and tiny little skylights in the rooms. I wake up every morning and feel lucky to live in this home.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we live on 20 acres in the santa cruz mountains....1.25-1.5 hours from san francisco and less than 45 minutes to santa cruz: absolutely not wanting to move. the house is modern with lots of windows and open floor plan. we found our oasis.

mz

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2010 12:55:45 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

I'd like to know more specifically what you're thinking - do you mean from your house or your area?

Either, both.

We're happy in our 1920s 1400 sq ft, 2 bed, 1 bath fixer upper house in a quiet middle class neighborhood.
Years ago there was much more wealth and fancy houses etc.
I'm glad I got to enjoy that but to me smaller is better now.

I love our neighbors.
We have joint garage sales and block parties with BBQ, music, kid face-painting etc.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We love where we live. I love our house. Hubbies dream house is coming on the market and he wants me to go see it. I''ll go see it but I am NOT moving. BUT feel bad, because he has loved this house forever and knows the owners well, and they want him to have the first crack at it. I don''t think we can afford it, so it''s not going to be a big deal anyway. Now if we could afford it, man that would turn into a big battle..
6.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I bought my house, at 1100 sq feet, it was perfect for one - not too hard to clean, not too expensive to reasonably maintain. But now that the DH moved in, it IS a tad cramped. But the emotional attachment is strong - my mom and I had so much fun fixing it up together - it has gorgeous wood floors, it is perfectly located with easy access to major highways, bookstores, malls, specialty marketing, and recreation. The location is prime, even if the house is a bit small. We thought of moving, but I nearly hyperventilated at the thought. To start all over again? I know every detail, the age and condition of every system and item on this house - the roof, the sewer lines, the electrical system, AC. And it is decorated to my taste. AND we can weather an economic downturn here more easily than just about anywhere else - the payments would make those in larger markets or who bought later, weep with frustrated jealousy. To have to pick up and move again is a ghastly thought. So we remodeled the kitchen instead.
2.gif
Now we''re really tied here.

Now, do I wish to be out of OKLAHOMA? Well, yeah, I do most times. But again, starting over somewhere else is hardly a panecea as each new location presents its own set of yuckies. So I guess I''ll brave the tornadoes and the uber-conservatives and stick around.
2.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I would move in a heartbeat. I want to leave the town and the apt we are in.
Out of the last 5 years, this place has been named the best place to live in America in its class for 3 years and took second the other two. I can only assume cheap housing, very good public schools and getting to be in my state is why, because I just don''t see the appeal. To me, it is a glorified farm town with nothing to do but drink with students. I would gladly take any of the 4 other places I have lived over this one.

Second, I hate our apt. Apts go for inflated prices because it is a small college town, so we are paying more then we have in the past and we get far less. We don''t have any choice either because this is the only place within a reasonable distance of the University that we can afford and takes cats. It is however, exactly what one would expect from a place that is cheap and close to a school. Our last apt was in the safest area of my much larger hometown, in an apartment building built in the 1920s with wood floors and it cost the same. Before that, we were in the beautiful town my undergrad was in and lived in the basement of a Victorian mansion and had exposed brick walls, it was so cool and much cheaper. The second we get our degrees, we are out.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
This house has (literally) our blood, sweat and many many tears. It is a part of me and I would never leave it.

ETA: Sorry about the editing..

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would love to move. We bought an old 1926 craftsman/bungalow style home. We have done a lot of work and it''s 2100 sqft, 4 bedrooms but only 1 bath. I long for a nice ranch home with a finished basement that walks out onto the backyard. Problem is we are not house broke and don''t want to be. I have two children from a previous marriage and can''t move 50 miles outside of 3 surrounding counties unless we fight it at court. Hubby and I would love to move south but that won''t happen until the kids are out of high school. We live in Illinois and the weather is so crazy all the time. It''s nice to dream though.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Move. We''re too cramped. We''ve been burgled. And a month ago a house down the lane was burgled. Yup, we''d like to move. But it''s a gorgeous little home and it''s relatively inexpensive. If we move we''ll have to pay more money for less home. Catch-22
7.gif

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Move. This house has very little storage, sometimes it''s like living in an apartment. Our son''s room is small and he has virtually outgrown it. The town has grown so much in the past 10 years and the infrastructure hasn''t. Driving is always a hassle.

We live in the same town as my MIL, so I KNOW I''m here for the long haul.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to move. Both out of this apartment, and out of this city. We''re so cramped here, it''s always been a problem and even though it could be improved a bit (i.e. the closet setups are THE MOST inefficient use of space I''ve ever seen), we rent and don''t want to spend the money to change things even though our landlord would probably be thrilled if we did. Also, the location is convenient but it''s a hip, loud, and IMO quite ugly area. I''d be happier in one of the more residential areas a few blocks away, but I don''t think I''ll actually be happy until we''re out of this city...it has a few good points here and there, but on the whole, I do hate it so...

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A loud and resounding YES (!) to do I want to move. We outgrew this house more than ten years ago. It''s so tiny.
My hubby doesn''t want to move though. He doesn''t want to pack and resettle, and he doesn''t like the idea of a bigger mortgage.

At some point though, we WILL move away from here. I''m starting to feel like the old woman who lived in a shoe.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I love my house (and my neighborhood. love.it.). It''s the perfect size for just the two of us and has almost everything we need. And we got it for a steal, so that makes it all that much sweeter. I will say though that one thing I lack is a kitchen that opens up to a family room. I''d really, really like that. We could make that work at this house, but it would take a major overhaul out the back of the house.

At the end of the day, I''m very happy with our house and the mortgage payment that goes with it. If we move, it will be because we need to change geography, not change houses.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I am dying to move. We live in our current home because DH started renting here seven years ago when he was in law school, and had the option to buy the place out two years ago and did. However, it''s in a so-so neighborhood (that is right next to the worst neighborhood in our county), it''s a rowhome with neighbors that scream at each other and their kids all day, it only has one bathroom, the kitchen is terrible, and while we''re lucky enough to have a yard, we have to go through our basement to access it and it''s across an alley.

However, the mortgage is dirt cheap, so we''ll stay here another year or two while we finish paying down debt and save for a down payment on a new place. And then, awesome home, here we come!
36.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I took a PS break because I was tired of packing for our move! I like living in different cities, but hate moving. For the past couple of years I''ve been ready to either buy a house or move to a new city. In the end, we decided to buy.

I really like the house we are renting now--small 2 bedroom with a fenced in yard for the dogs. It''s perfect for D and I, but with plans for a family soon we knew we needed more space.

D and I both grew up in smaller homes (1,500 SF or less) and all of the apartments and homes we''ve rented since we started living together have been around 1,000 SF or less. The house we are moving into is over 3,000 SF, which isn''t huge, but it is much larger than we are used to. I''m definitely looking forward to having more space. I think the dogs are going to like having more space as well--we only have about .25 acres now and in a couple of weeks they''ll have more than an acre to run around in. They go to the park every day for exercise, but they still like having a bit of land to explore.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to move, to a new apt or to a new city.
I like our apartment, but it''s really difficult for us to have people over because the living room has so little space. Our management is amazing and responds to us asap, and if something needs to get fixed, it happens. And we live around a bunch of people with kids, so I like knowing that there aren''t any seedy things going. Plus a few of them are home all of the time, so not much can happen when we''re not there.
So I may just have to wait until we move in a year or two.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I would SOOOO love to move!!! We want to buy a few acres in the country and build a new house. Our current house is about 100 years old, and we''ve been here for a little over six years. It''s a very nice house and I really do like it, but it has almost no closet space and our lot is wee. Also, the bathrooms and kitchen seriously need updating. We''re planning to redo our downstairs bathroom (which is a half-bath) this summer, and we''ve already done a lot to the other rooms, but the upstairs bathroom and the kitchen are still blech. We have definite plans to build our new house, but we have to wait a few years until we build up some more equity in our current house.
7.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Yes, next summer DH and I are planning on moving from our apartment in the 'burbs to manhattan. While we do like our apartment now with the hours he works we really need to be closer to his office. Next summer when he starts full time as an associate we will have the luxury of being able to afford to move.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
MOVE! One year and counting until DH is vested in his retirement plan at work. Then I''m going back to my hometown and applying everywhere - I don''t care - I just want to go home to the culture/politics that I grew up with and side with. I feel like a fish out of water here
7.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my house, my neighborhood and my city! My husband and I just talked about this because his company really wants to promote him, but to do so we''d have to move somewhere. So he asked me if there was anywhere in the U.S. I''d want to move and I couldn''t think of a single place. I could maybe move to NYC but I don''t really want to.

So yeah-we''re staying put! He doesn''t really want to move either but was tempted by the promotion.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I''m moving in August WOHOOOOO. I actually like my apartment, it has a HUGE pantry and loads of closet space. But I''m graduating and moving back to Atlanta where my mom and my fiance are. It will be the first time in four years that our relationship won''t be long distance.
36.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i wanna move to a smaller house with a bigger backyard,but at our age we don''t want to carry a mortgage,plus a big increase in property tax.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results