shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this Australia Sapphire too dark IRL?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, I am looking for a sapphire of a good blue that will not black out in general light condition. What do you think of this one here? Do you think it will fit a 4 prongs ring mount meant for a 6mm round? O ya it measure 5.5mm.TIA!

sapp1aa.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
21.gif

sapp2aa.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
1.gif

sapp3aa.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm difficult to say... fist pic looks lovely and bright - the next looks rather inky! Perhaps ask for more photos in a range of lighting situations? Love the cut though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this stone could well fit into a standard 4 prong setting but I agree about its potential to be quite a bit darker than shown IRL. Note that it is a good blue in the first picture but only because the entire background is flooded with bright light. The second picture is probably what you will see in a darker environment; a blackish stone with the occasional dark blue flash. It appears that the vendor is doing a good job showing you how the sapphire behaves under a variety of lighting condition with the 3rd being the regular normal everyday lighting. It is still a darker stone overall (normal for an Australian blue sapphire) but it is pretty for an Australian sapphire. If the price is good, I think it could be a good purchase if you’d like to own an Aussie sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Chrono that the first photo is flooded with light, and to me, that's a warning sign. Why would the dealer have to do that? Also the second photo is so dark and grey, I would be very unhappy with that color, even if it's a color shift. Is it treated?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
tks to the replies! No, its not heated nor treated. I just find it a little small:)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm how can I say this. It depends on your preferences. I''ve seen a lot worse dark blue sapphires, sapphires that are both overdark AND opaque. This actually has nice clarity, and a nice color, but again you won''t see that nice color except for a little flash here and there, except in very bright lighting conditions. It will look very dark indoors. Is that acceptable to you?

I have a pair of Australian sapphire earrings that are very similar in color. I rarely wear them because I think they are too dark. However I have a friend that when I wore them, loves them and said that was her ideal color sapphires. So it seems there are individual preferences about deepness of color.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chicomato,

Beware of generalizations based solely on geographic origin!

Best,

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I agree; I think it will darken once set, and I think the color is darker and more gray than my personal tastes.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
just a general observation but australian sapphires tend to me on the darker deep blue side
with teal and green sometimes seen (at least from my limited knowledge and from what i have seen)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
re: post above - I agree this seems to be the norm, however I have been reliably informed that there are plenty of Australian "cornflower" blue sapphires but just that they are so popular they are almost always sold immediately overseas for a premium. We seem to get the remaining darker ones.....
14.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
tks to all the replies! I really appreciate :) here is what the seller have to say about the sapphire ' it is vvs clarity,so totally eye clean,very clear,not sleepy at all,it was purchased from Aussie Sapphire in the rough and was sold as untreated. The photos were taken in very low light and you can
still see good color,the outside ones were taken in overcast low natural
light as you can see. The sapphire is a royal blue and is medium/dark in tone,the photo is fairly accurate because not much light was used in taking the photo(actually reflected light used)

can I have more views pls? Btw there is no return policy. TIA

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2010 10:38:19 PM
Author: chictomato
tks to all the replies! I really appreciate :) here is what the seller have to say about the sapphire '' it is vvs clarity,so totally eye clean,very clear,not sleepy at all,it was purchased from Aussie Sapphire in the rough and was sold as untreated. The photos were taken in very low light and you can

still see good color,the outside ones were taken in overcast low natural

light as you can see. The sapphire is a royal blue and is medium/dark in tone,the photo is fairly accurate because not much light was used in taking the photo(actually reflected light used)

can I have more views pls? Btw there is no return policy. TIA

I won''t buy from anyone who doesn''t have a return policy. BTW, the fact that it''s medium dark in tone kind of scares me. I bet it''s dark IRL as in the photos. Please don''t buy it, you already don''t like the size, and the color leaves much to be desired. How do you know it''s not be-treated? Does he have proof? I don''t even know the pricing on it. If it''s less than $50, then maybe it''s a good buy, but even so, who wants to spend any money on something they might not like and be stuck with?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tks TL! you have a point there:)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will not buy anything that is not returnable or refundable. Period. Why take that risk when there are other vendors out there with possibly better stones and pricing? Secondly, it is stated that the stone is medium to dark in tone and you’ve stated that you didn’t want a dark stone. Thirdly, you’ve mentioned that the size is too small. So there you are: 3 clear reasons to not buy this sapphire, says The Disabler.
11.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
If all that wasn''t enough to keep this stone out of your hands I''ll just say that while seller may imagine itself to be telling the truth when saying the pics were shot in low light (I almost typed low life ((freudian?))) that first photo is overexposed. Whether by intensity of light or as a function of time (longer exposure) the effect is the same. In college I made hundreds of pinhole cameras. Even with a 400 micron aperture by candle light you can still grossly overexpose a photo.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wow:) that''s mm...very technical:) Okay! I have decided (drumroll, lol) NOT buying
41.gif
Tks to all helpful advises!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results