shape
carat
color
clarity

wedding planner?

pannini

Shiny_Rock
What do you think is the average price of a great wedding planner for a metropolitan area like San Francisco?

Some are quoting insanely high amounts, like over 2500. Is it really that high?

Does anyone recommend some great wedding planners?

I am living a busy lifestyle as a grad student, and fiance is relocating to Ireland for 5 months.

We''ll need someone to help us out while we are either cramming for an exam, or traveling.

Thanks!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, that doesn''t sound insanely high to me honestly, especially for a larger metropolitan area. For perspective, in Chicago, for Day of Coordinator services ONLY, I have been quoted $1000-1200 by two reputable companies. For one day (and a one hour pre-day coordination session!). So for the whole shebang... yeah I''m sure it is over $2500! If its in your budget, I do think it is money well spent though!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on the services you''re requesting, that''s extremely low. In Atlanta I was quoted anything from 3,000 to 8,000.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Mine was $2000 for a "partial planning." I hired her 6 months b/f the wedding and had already booked all but 2 vendors. I did a lot of shopping around and that was the best price I could find. BTW, she is based in Napa. She has almost paid for herself because she is going to a required meeting with the venue on my behalf. That is going to save me a trip out there.

If you can afford it, I think it would be worth it. It sounds like you are in a similar situation to me. I am working full time, and my FI is working harder than me. We only have so many hours in a week for the wedding.

ETA: I did not look at wedding planners in SF proper, only Napa/Sonoma, no not sure how much help I would be for recs.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I do not think $2,500 for a good full service planner in a metro area is a lot. I pay more than $2000 for my Italian planner and she is not that great.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know about US pricing but it doesn''t sound too bad to me - we paid 1300 Euros for our Italian planner, she did an amazing job but equally our wedding was teeny tiny :)

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about the sticker shock pannini. $2500 for a full-service wedding planner seems like a really good price to me. Like the other ladies said, you can expect to pay from $500 to $1500 for day-of coordination services. Most of the full-service planners I talked to in Cleveland were charging a percentage of budget, anywhere from 15 to 20% for full service planning, depending on how many "extras" you wanted. I only got one flat rate quote at $5,000, and I''m sure the San Francisco market can support higher prices than the Cleveland market. I ended up going with partial planning since I''d already chosen a venue and most of the major vendors.

Kellybell

Shiny_Rock
I agree...that price seems pretty low for a full service planner in a large city. We were quoted $8-15,000 in/around the Boston area.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I did not have a wedding planner (we had a small enough wedding that despite having very busy schedules, somehow we managed - well, DH managed!). If we HAD gone larger though we would have had one. When I looked into prices casually $2,000 - $3,000 seemed to be the average for full service and that is not in a major city like San Francisco.

So, I don''t think $2,500 is insanely high. Maybe low to average.

On occasion I watch that Rich Bride, Poor Bride show, where they always have one of the planners from the show, and they seem to usually cost about $2,500 on average.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I''m paying a little over 4000 for a full service planner in Austin.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I''m paying 2,200 for partial planning and rehearsal dinner and day-of coordination in NJ. I would say your quotes are quite reasonable.

pannini

Shiny_Rock
Jeez, I''m so sorry for the confusion.

2500 is for the day-of planner!

We were quoted over 4000 for partial planning....

Thoughts NOW?

=)

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 5:57:51 PM
Author: pannini

Thoughts NOW?

=)
That makes a lot more sense! Well, that certainly is a lot of money but it doesn''t seem too out of the orindary, especially considering it''s San Francisco and you''re looking for a "great" wedding planner so I assume they''re in high demand.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I know if I were a planner I would do an upcharge for day of planning. I mean, you''re basically having to just jump in and know everything without having been there the whole time.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 5:57:51 PM
Author: pannini

Thoughts NOW?

=)

High, but I am not surprised. That actually seems more typical of SF than what you said before. The planners in Napa with the best reputation had those kind of rates. I would shop around and see what else is out there. Be sure to look at outside reviews when making your decision.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I am a wedding planner and in NYC... and most reputable planners start at, at least, $15,000 and up. If their famous (Ie: TV, well known, etc), many wont accept a job less than $50,000. So I would say $2,500 not only doesnt sound "high", it also sounds insanely good.
2.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results