shape
carat
color
clarity

Fire opal or Sunstone question...

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone I have been looking to get a pair of orangish stones. I like the look of Mexican fire opal, specifically the pair that is on osirisgems website . I did a little research is fire opal too soft? I see a lot of jewelry out there so it has to be fairly durable right?

My other question is about oregon sunstone. I know it is a little harder but some people will say that makes it more brittle? I also like sunstone when it has schiller (this may not be popular) but I think the pink schiller is really cool. The stone these is not as nice as this stone.

I''m just wondering what you all think. I have a very bad earring obsession right now.
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If earrings are what you''re interested in making with these stones, I''d say go for it, as practically any gemstone is durable enough for earrings. But if you''d like rings...it''s a different story. These two are very close in hardness (which is just one aspect of durability of course), with sunstone being a bit harder, but neither is really a good ring stone. Unless, off course, it''s for something that''ll get worn just occasionally and while not doing much with your hands. Also, if you do decide to get rings with those stones, prepare yourself for the fact that wear and tear will be obvious on the stones eventually, so a repolish or replacement with a new stone might be in order after some years.

P. S. The only case when I''d say these are OK for rings is if they''re not faceted (i.e. if they''re cabochons).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
For earrings you''re safe with a lot of the softer stones - I''ve got sphene set as earrings and that''s soft.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first sunstone is quite brownish while the second is nicer. However, the shape of the second one doesn’t lend itself to a calibrated setting. As earrings, I think you are fine with both varieties and I think the fire opals you showed are pretty although very sleepy. I also doubt these will craze so they will be good candidates to set and wear. The most important thing though is finding a jeweller who is very skilled and comfortable in setting stones this soft. Not many jewellers have enough experience to do this without damaging the stones.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 4:37:10 AM
Author: ma re
If earrings are what you''re interested in making with these stones, I''d say go for it, as practically any gemstone is durable enough for earrings. But if you''d like rings...it''s a different story. These two are very close in hardness (which is just one aspect of durability of course), with sunstone being a bit harder, but neither is really a good ring stone. Unless, off course, it''s for something that''ll get worn just occasionally and while not doing much with your hands. Also, if you do decide to get rings with those stones, prepare yourself for the fact that wear and tear will be obvious on the stones eventually, so a repolish or replacement with a new stone might be in order after some years.

P. S. The only case when I''d say these are OK for rings is if they''re not faceted (i.e. if they''re cabochons).

thanks for the response

why are cabs more durable?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 8:29:23 AM
Author: Treenbean

why are cabs more durable?
Cause they have a curved surface instead of all those small, flat, polished facets, and a curved surface is much more difficult to scratch than a flat one (that''s why on plain metal pieces, flat parts are the first ones that''ll show wear). They also don''t have sharp tips or straight edges, which also show wear fairly easily compared to curved surfaces.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
That makes sense... Thanks for the answer Mr. Ma re.
1.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fire opal is very pretty in person. Make sure who ever sets it, has experience in fire opal. It is not only soft but also heat sensitive. Jewelers who work mostly with diamonds have a habit of blasting everything with steam, which will cause the opal to crack and fall apart.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
yikes!!! That would be horrible.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
after seeing tl''s fire op i would say try and find yourself some of that..suckers are sweet

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got a pair of sunstones for studs - 5mm trillions
1.gif

No idea if they're good stones or not (given what I paid I'd guess the latter) but they look really cool in the sun, the way they glisten and glow
10.gif
So I vote sunstone!

YssieSSs2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those fire opals on Osirisgems site are beautiful. I was thinking of getting them myself. Such neon orange color, and the best part is that they''re affordable.
9.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results