shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you Shellac? Hybrid gel/nail polish!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Well well...
I have been a nailtech for .... gosh! Almost 15 years now! And I have NEVER been this excited
in my nailtechie life about this new product that Creative Nail Design has just release for us to use on
our clients!

It''s a gel/polish hybrid nail color. you apply it like a polish and it wears like a gel. You cure it under a UV light.
in less than 30 mins, you have fool proof, totally DRY nails! You can reach for your keys, your money... Anything!
They are supposed to last 2 weeks and they do not chip, fade or crack ( we''ll see in 2 weeks cause I am HARD on my nails! )

The only thing is, you have to get this done at the salon, as you need a powerful UV lamp and all of the equipment. But for anyone who has peely, cracky, weak nails, this product/service is for you!

Here''s a pic of the nail color I did tonight on my nails: Strawberry Smoothie.
I removed my gels prior to doing this, so my cuticles are a bit red... And my natural nails look ( always have ) like crapola. I grow industrial strength cuticles like crazy and I usually go at them with my nippers without mercy...
40.gif

But they aren''t bad looking after the Shellac! I wish I had my camera near - but all i have is my cell phone and its not doing a good job
7.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Where''s the pic? I wanna see!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Sounds neat but is this more for acrylic nails or is this a 2 week solution for natural nails?

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Oh interesting! I get soft gel nails (CalGel or Biosculpture). Besides going on like polish, is this very different? How''s the removal?

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t wait for this to come out in the UK! It was meant to be out here in May, then June, now July! The lady that owns my salon is currently in Vegas at a trade show and is going to bring some back for us to try out.

I heard its different from Calgel/ Biosculpture as you don''t buff the surface of the nail down first and it takes 5 minutes to soak off.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
It is really a natural nail solution - you can apply onto acrylics and the removal takes 10 mins. you put on their nail remover tips, leave on for 10 mins, then slide off with an orange wood stick. I am just very excited about this line. I do my own nails and doing my own gels was just taking sooooo much time!!!

O....
7.gif
Poo, I forgot to attach the pic last night lol.

I just snapped these 2 this morning - again only with my cell and its not the greatest..

Straw-smoothie-amey-nails1.JPG

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
here''s a close-up... sorry its not the greatest quality.

Straw-smoothie-amey-nails2.JPG

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ammy, you don''t have to file the surface of the nail with this, right?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 8:58:18 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Ammy, you don't have to file the surface of the nail with this, right?
That's correct H_H! It's really nice and gentle on the nail.
Easy to use for the tech and pretty consumer consciencious!!!

ETA: I want people to realise that you have to cure the nail under a UV light in between each step for either 10 secs or 2 minutes... someone asked me at work if she could get that herself and do hers at home and IF I could get her the stuff, she'd pay me... so i calculated all the cost for this system... It ain't cheap!

UV light: $250 ( I have 2, one for each hand and prior with the Brisa System so I didn't have to purchase )
Gel Base coat: 18.95
Gel Top Coat: 18.95
All colors: $16.95 each ( I have cream puff, Strawberry Smoothie, etc... I think I have 7 total )

so its about close to $500 to get started... And I am not going to risk my license to get someone the system that is not licensed! at $25 for this service ( I'll charge that most likely ) it's a good deal I think.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha yea at $500+ dollars I don''t think so!

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I think I read about this and you have to also have the stuff removed at the salon, right?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 10:20:01 AM
Author: karpouzi
I think I read about this and you have to also have the stuff removed at the salon, right?

Well, all you need is to put 100% pure acetone in a bowl and let your finger nails soak in there for about 10 mins... then use a paper towel and slide it off... I have not done the removal yet, but from what i read, it''s not that hard.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do your nails look after it''s taken off I wonder? My nails don''t look that bad to begin w/(except my cuticles-I pick at them constantly)but I had fake ones done a few times just b/c it looks so nice and perfect. (and I didn''t pick my cuticles when I had them on) I didn''t like when they were off how horrible my nails looked. Since they don''t have to be buffed down, would they not look so yucky?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 12:31:52 PM
Author: packrat
How do your nails look after it''s taken off I wonder? My nails don''t look that bad to begin w/(except my cuticles-I pick at them constantly)but I had fake ones done a few times just b/c it looks so nice and perfect. (and I didn''t pick my cuticles when I had them on) I didn''t like when they were off how horrible my nails looked. Since they don''t have to be buffed down, would they not look so yucky?
I would assume since you do not buff the surface and apply harsh primers that it wouldn''t be that traumatic
on your nails... i''ll be removing them in a couple of weeks... i''ll take pictures every 3-4 days and post on here so you all can see how it wears...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool! I would totally look into doing it if there''s not the damage done to the nail. Is it called anything specific? Or just ask for the gel/polish hybrid??

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 5:03:14 PM
Author: packrat
Cool! I would totally look into doing it if there's not the damage done to the nail. Is it called anything specific? Or just ask for the gel/polish hybrid??
I WOULD ASK FOR "CND SHELLAC MANICURE".

:)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Amethyste!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
How''s the Shellac holding up so far? *interested ''cause my nails are crap*

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I had the shellac done yesterday. I normally pay $24 for a manicure and this was $50. but I have an event today and we are going out of town next weekend for our anniversary and i''ve got a lot of stuff going on right now so I didn''t know if I''d have time for a mani this week and next week so I decided to give the shellac a try. I wasn''t aware of the removal process until after she was done, so I''m a little nervous about that, so I''ll just have to wait and see.

mol42

Shiny_Rock
This sounds exactly like what I''ve had done at my nail salon, except the lacquer is by OPI. I''ve had it done about 3 times now, and the manicure has lasted anywhere from 2-4 weeks (4 weeks it gets a bit gnarly, but oh well . . . ) The great thing is that after it''s done, you are good to go. No more dings, scratches, "oops" moments after a new manicure which is great! It was such a shock to pay AFTER the manicure because you can touch your wallet, keys, etc, without worrying about ruining your nails. The removal process is not horrific; you just have to soak your nails in acetone for about 10 minutes. The nail technicians themselves LOVE it because they can wear nail polish too!

I was wondering the other day though-- is there any concern with UV damage to skin?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2010 9:54:36 AM
Author: Kismet
How''s the Shellac holding up so far? *interested ''cause my nails are crap*

Alright... Here''s a pic of the Shellac - Romantique, on my nails... that was day 8 or 9 I think.
there was NO chips at all! looked beautiful. You could see the re-growth. I think it is a SUPERB product.
As a Nailtech, I have been waiting for this for YEARS. My natural nail clients are simply crazy about it and
can''t wait now, since when they leave, they can touch everything, AMEN!!

Romantique-day 8ishPS.jpg

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2010 10:55:29 AM
Author: appletini
I had the shellac done yesterday. I normally pay $24 for a manicure and this was $50. but I have an event today and we are going out of town next weekend for our anniversary and i''ve got a lot of stuff going on right now so I didn''t know if I''d have time for a mani this week and next week so I decided to give the shellac a try. I wasn''t aware of the removal process until after she was done, so I''m a little nervous about that, so I''ll just have to wait and see.

YIKES!!!! I don''t know why they charge so much more for the Shellac. In all honesty, they should charge MAYBE an extra $5 and nothing more. Why?

You can save money and time by no drying time under a dryer. If done correctly, you can take off the Shellac, shape nails, trim cuticles, re-apply and rebook in 50 mins. I have done it and it works well. Time is noney in a day with normally 5 manicure clients, I can do an extra one and make myself an extra $30-$35 more a day ( including Tip ). After a month of that, the profits can add up! The overhead was there before they acquired the shellac. I know it''s not cheap stuff, but you gotta spend money to make money. There is NO reason to double the price of this manicure, I think it is insane and they are feeding off the recent frenzy about this product. I charge $30 for Shellac and my normal manis are $25. The only thing is you cannot do a water manicure ( soaking the cuticles ) when you do the shellac cause the product will no adhere correctly to the nails. It might be ok, but I usually don''t do it.

Though I LOVE the Shellac product by CND, i REFUSE to buy their nail wraps to remove the product. It is an additional $4 for a packet of 10 wraps, PER CLIENT! I decided to invest in a Sonic Touch III Ultrasonic. It is a little bath where you put your fingertips into acetone (kinda like jewelry cleaner soni-care) and the waves will break down the product in only 4... YES ONLY FOUR minutes instead of 10 with these remover wraps. The cost of the Sonic Touch III Ultrasonic was $139, that means only after using their wraps for 35 clients, the machine is paid for. Save even more money and buy the acetone by the gallon. I don''t want to pass that extra cost to the client. In this economy, it is hard to keep people doing these kind of beauty treatments, so anything I can do to retain my clientele and my income, I''ll do gladly ( within reasons of course ).

Did my post have a point? hmmmmm... YES!!! I think it is unfair to charge double for this service!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2010 5:20:41 PM
Author: mol42
I was wondering the other day though-- is there any concern with UV damage to skin?

Well, I would worry more about what''s in a nail polish bottle like Toluene, Formaldehyde and Dibutyl Phthalate, which are NOT present in the Shellac hybrid lacquer. All of these are much more harmful to your nails ( and also to breathe ) than the UV light. The UV light is such a low thresh hold that I wouldn''t worry about it. if you think about it, you are only in the light for a total amount of maximum 8 mins, that means about an estimation of 20 mins a month. No biggie...

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
oh and here is a new color I did... I don''t usually do bright colors like this "HOT CHILIS", but I wanted to try it..
THe thing I love about this is the color you see on the bottle is EXACTLY like what you''ll end up on your nails. There is no guessing!

It''s a happy one, that''s for sure!

HotChilis2PS.jpg

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Ahh! I want to try this so bad, but according to their website there isn''t a salon anywhere near me that uses it. I find that surprising, since I live in Washington DC!

Does anyone in the DC area know of a salon?

~LC

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am shocked. I just checked for a salon that does shellac and there are 2 in my town. I will look into it. First I need to actually try and grow my thumbnails a bit. They are my worst nails! I like the idea of this product. I have short natural nails.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
very cool!!!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, those look really nice. *checks for salon* Bummer, there''s not one really near me either; I''d either have to go out to Westborough or up to Derry.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I just saw this article. It looks like the author really likes Shellac too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results