shape
carat
color
clarity

Great Debate--3 prong vs. 4 prong ER

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steph T.

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone...

All this searching and researching---and now that I''m about to commit and finally buy---I''ve gotten indecisive about prongs!!! (for solataire earrings---1.23ctw--about 0.61/0.62 in each ear) I keep bouncing back and forth. I have to say that I like the openness of the three prong look, but can''t help but think that 4 prongs would be wiser and safer!!! What''s the peanut gallery''s consensus??? I was also going to opt for 14 K white gold--does everyone think that''s a good buy??? Help, Help, Help!!! And again, any response is greatly appreciated!!! Steph T.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love the 3 prong martini style stud and I don't think it presents a safety problem at all. I know others on this forum have this style, hopefully they will comment.

As for 14KT white gold, IMO that is a great choice for earrings. Platinum is overkill here!

Which set did you end up buying?

motcs

Rough_Rock
I bought my girlfriend a pair of 1.0 ctw earrings with 3-prong settings in platinum, and we both love them. I think it's just a matter of whichever style you find more attractive. I didn't really consider safety when I picked out the setting though.

NY SPARKLE

Rough_Rock
Hi and might I add.....nice size earrings.
naughty.gif
I think the martini setting is beautiful. You shouldn't worry about the safety issue. They are earrings and they will be secure. A 3prong ring on the other hand would be a disaster waiting to happen. White gold will be beautiful as well. In the end get the look you love...you won't regret it.
2.gif

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
3-prong would be my vote.... I have a pair myself
love.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I really live the 3 prong martini look...really shows off the stone!
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 3 prong in 14kt white gold as well. Very beautiful and (so far) secure.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
I have the "martini" style earrings, .49 ctw in 18k white gold and I don't think that the prongs are not secure. However, I have had mine for about 3 months now, and I wear them practically every single day (they go so well with *everthing*!) and I have noticed that the post is starting to yellow, I guess the friction from the butterfly on the back is rubbing hard against the post, but the front is perfectly white, and that's the most important.

Another thing I have found with the martini setting, and this may just be happening because of the smaller carat weight and the setting needed for that, but if the butterfly is on too tightly, then the bottom part of the setting pushes into the hole in my ear, expanding the hole. A basket style would not do that.

I do love my earrings and the sparkle that the more open setting gives them.

Good luck with your decision, you'll love your earrings!

I wish you welll,

Bridget

bling

Shiny_Rock
I was in the same place a few months ago..but decided to take everyone advice on the martini three prong backs. im soo glad i did..they are so pretty. they show off the stone so much better than my old four prong basket setting. I havent had any problems with them at all, and i wear them everyday..clean them about every other day.
the three prongs are so discrete, all you see is bling! they are also in white gold, and have no issues there either. please post pics when they are complete!
9.gif
10.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You're not going to knock the prongs against things the way you would with a ring, so I think you should go for the 3-prong!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What about for a tennis bracelet? I absolutely love those shared three prong diamond bracelets where all you see is the stone. Any opinions?

slb

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I wouldn't do it for a tennis bracelet because I am very rough with my hands. It would love gorgeous though.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because Im insane about security and loss, I say as many prongs as is necessary. I personally would go 6 but in this case you pr obably aren't a nut so 4.

foundnemo

Shiny_Rock
I think 3 prong earrings are beautiful, looking to get some myself!

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
I like the 3 prong the best. It really showcases the diamond! I really think I like the Martini setting the best.

I think that the 3 prong is pretty safe on a necklace.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results