shape
carat
color
clarity

Re: Favorite food question

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just wondering, what haven''t you prepared or eaten in a while that you just love? One of my friends :) mentioned buying and making artichokes the other day and it tempted my tastebuds. I had to buy a couple. Even steamed and drizzled with a little EVOO, some fresh roasted garlic and a smidge of lemon juice was delicious! I''m looking forward to eating the leftover one that my husband didn''t eat last night.

So what are you making and loving? I can definitely use some new food ideas. (I have to eat all natural and I''m getting bored. Don''t worry if your fave is not all natural. I can probably adapt it to how I have to eat).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, mashed potatoes are my favorite food in the whole wide world. I don't prepare them often, and I eat more in the winter time, but I love them.

DH LOVES my rice and beans. I make them twice a week. That's an easy, healthy meal, and it tastes really good, IMO.

This is what I do:
- Start a cup of rice in a pot
- Heat a smidge of oil in a pan over medium heat
- Toss in chopped jalapenos (2 or more, with or without seeds depending on how hot you like it) and minced garlic, heat until fragrant
- Shake some chili pepper over the jalapenos and garlic, mix well
- Add a can of black beans and mix well, add some more chili pepper
- Add a can of corn and mix* (*Reserve the juice from the can in a measuring cup)
- Open a can of diced tomatoes and drain over the measuring cup that has the juice from the corn. Save the tomatoes on the side until later.
- Add the juice from the tomatoes and corn to the veggies, turn up the heat, and boil until the juices are entirely absorbed
- Meanwhile, the rice should be done. Chop a bunch of cilantro and add it to the rice. Squeeze half a lemon and half a lime into the rice, as well. Mix well.
- Once the juice is absorbed into the veggies, add the tomatoes and mix in long enough to heat them.
- Add the rice to the veggies, mix well, and serve immediately.*

*If you aren't planning on eating right away, don't mix the cilantro or tomatoes in until just before serving.

This should make about 6 servings.

I started using canned beans and tomatoes after my cousin, who is a total foodie and addicted to Cook's Illustrated, told me that it's okay, by the way.
2.gif
If HE uses canned beans and tomatoes for his rice and beans, then so can I.
16.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love Pozole (Mexican soup/stew with hominy), eat with corn tortillas. It''s kind of a simmer all day type of stew, so I rarely make it, I don''t have time to watch over it. Need to try it in a crock pot!

I don''t make it the traditional way, because I don''t follow recipes, ever! I just add whatever I like. Here is the gist of what''s in MY pozole recipe, which is almost like a Mexican Minestrone.

ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
1/2 stick cinnamon
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin, trimmed and cut into (1/2-inch) pieces, I brown the meat first
chopped onion
garlic cloves, minced
fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
tablespoons sugar
teaspoon salt
2 (15.5-ounce) cans white hominy, undrained
I also add stuff that the recipe doesn''t call for like: 1 can black beans, some chopped up bell peppers, jalapenos, tomato in chunks, sprinkle of regular corn

Top with:
sliced radishes
chopped green onions
minced fresh cilantro
lime slices

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I am SO going to try your posole recipe next week, jaysonsmom. That looks amazing!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I''m super hungry right now, so everything in this thread sounds delicious
4.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My fav food ever is houska - a Polish/Czech braided bread that's kind of eggy and a little sweet with golden raisins. I don't make it often because I would eat the whole thing in one day.
18.gif

For dinner foods, I really like this "Mexican lasagna" I used to make every week. It's basically onion, garlic, jalepeno, black beans, and tomatoes for the filling with tortillas instead of noodles (and lots of cheese, of course!) baked for 45minutes. For some reason I haven't made it in a few months, but it's so good I think I need to make it tomorrow night. One of the reasons I stopped making it every week is that I stopped buying canned beans and dried ones take a little more planning to make (and I got lazy). Canned are ok, but dried ones taste so much better!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
BF and I make ground beef w/ cous cous and veggies pretty frequently. We cook the beef, add veggies and spices (cumin, paprika, and chilli powder usually), and then mix with the cous cous. Easy and delicious!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, mashed potatoes are one of my absolute favorite foods also. I don''t make them often but they''re a great treat!

I hate to admit this because I don''t think they''re too popular, but I love casseroles. I don''t make them often but they''re pretty quick to throw together. I''m actually making one tonight for dinner. There''s not really a recipe for this one. I''m just kind of inventing it as I go along (so far, I have a cut-up rotisserie chicken breast, onions, veggies, whole wheat shells, low fat mozzarella cheese, and crushed & diced tomatoes in the pan).

The other thing I haven''t made in a while (and my husband won''t eat) is a tofu and chicken stir-fry with brown rice.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
One of my favorite foods is also the easiest to make.

Slightly Wilted Spinach Sandwich

-Sautee chopped garlic and onions (preferably red onions) till they''re brown...takes about 4-5 minutes

-Turn off the burner, and add feta cheese, let it melt...takes about 30 to 45 seconds

-If I have time, I wilt the spinach separately, place it on toasted french bread, and drizzle the feta cheese and onion onto it; if I''m in a rush, I throw the spinach into the saucepan, and let it coat for a minute, and then spoon it all onto the toasted bread. And a little ground pepper on top.

It takes less than 10 minutes every time I make it. I love warm sandwiches, and the ingredients are really versatile, so I usually have them on hand anyway. I love cooking, but I hate buying ingredients that I can only use for a single recipe. I''ve also seen this recipe done as a salad with the feta as a dressing, with sherry wine vinegar, and without garlic, so there are a lot of ways it can go!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love sushi... that is my favorite food (the closest I get to sushi at home is quick searing a Sashimi grade Ahi Tuna steak -- I am talking one to 2 mins per side so the middle is still like sashimi
18.gif
)

Second favorite that I love to prepare is scallops with pasta and spinach alfredo sauce.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also forgot to mention that another favorite is shrimp scampi over angel hair. I don''t follow a recipe though -- I just throw stuff in the pan and it always comes out great.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2010 6:09:08 PM
Author: Zoe
I also forgot to mention that another favorite is shrimp scampi over angel hair. I don''t follow a recipe though -- I just throw stuff in the pan and it always comes out great.
Ooo, I make that for my husband all the time! He loves shrimp scampi over angel too, and I''ve made it so many times that I don''t measure anything. It tastes better when you do it by instinct. The funny is, he likes it made with the very cheapest white wine I can buy at the liquor store. If I buy a better wine, he makes a face and asks me what''s different.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I miss hamburgers. I don''t trust meat in china enough to cook hamburgers the way I like them. I miss lettuce/salad. I can''t find it anywhere except some hotel restaurants.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I love fresh fish but eat it so rarely. I love a big peice of tasty white fish with salt, cracked pepper and lemon juice, wrapped in tinfoil and oven cooked
18.gif
Also a nice thick tuna steak pan fried with the same.

Now I really want to go to the fish market on Saturday.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Not Yo Mama''s banana pudding! I could eat the entire batch! It''s been a while since I''ve had it for that very reason.

Ingredients

* 2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
* 6 to 8 bananas, sliced
* 2 cups milk
* 1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
* 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
* 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream

Directions

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.

In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
For me its truffle cream pasta i miss and i dont know how to make it
7.gif
and im a little daunted at the prospect of trying it out, seeing as its so expensive...

but next time im in Italy, whoa nelly im going to smash. it. up.
9.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2010 10:27:00 PM
Author: 4ever
I love fresh fish but eat it so rarely. I love a big peice of tasty white fish with salt, cracked pepper and lemon juice, wrapped in tinfoil and oven cooked
18.gif
Also a nice thick tuna steak pan fried with the same.

Now I really want to go to the fish market on Saturday.
4ever, your response convinced me to go to the fish market, somewhere I haven''t been in months because I''ve been trying very hard to spend less on food every week. I was dying for some fresh salmon to throw on the grill.
Now I''m going to have a delicious salmon steak this weekend when the hubby plays barbecue chef.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2010 4:37:39 PM
Author: elrohwen
My fav food ever is houska - a Polish/Czech braided bread that''s kind of eggy and a little sweet with golden raisins. I don''t make it often because I would eat the whole thing in one day.
18.gif

For dinner foods, I really like this ''Mexican lasagna'' I used to make every week. It''s basically onion, garlic, jalepeno, black beans, and tomatoes for the filling with tortillas instead of noodles (and lots of cheese, of course!) baked for 45minutes. For some reason I haven''t made it in a few months, but it''s so good I think I need to make it tomorrow night. One of the reasons I stopped making it every week is that I stopped buying canned beans and dried ones take a little more planning to make (and I got lazy). Canned are ok, but dried ones taste so much better!
el, that bread sounds delicious! I started baking again last weekend (I made a cream cheese blueberry bundt cake) and I''d like to make something different whenever I can, ideally- every weekend. Question...... can I make bread without the benefit of a machine with a dough hook? Can I knead the dough by hand? I never got into making bread because I don''t know if I have the arm strength to knead it the way it should be worked.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 4:03:43 PM
Author: gemgirl

Date: 5/12/2010 4:37:39 PM
My fav food ever is houska - a Polish/Czech braided bread that's kind of eggy and a little sweet with golden raisins. I don't make it often because I would eat the whole thing in one day.
18.gif

For dinner foods, I really like this 'Mexican lasagna' I used to make every week. It's basically onion, garlic, jalepeno, black beans, and tomatoes for the filling with tortillas instead of noodles (and lots of cheese, of course!) baked for 45minutes. For some reason I haven't made it in a few months, but it's so good I think I need to make it tomorrow night. One of the reasons I stopped making it every week is that I stopped buying canned beans and dried ones take a little more planning to make (and I got lazy). Canned are ok, but dried ones taste so much better!
el, that bread sounds delicious! I started baking again last weekend (I made a cream cheese blueberry bundt cake) and I'd like to make something different whenever I can, ideally- every weekend. Question...... can I make bread without the benefit of a machine with a dough hook? Can I knead the dough by hand? I never got into making bread because I don't know if I have the arm strength to knead it the way it should be worked.
You can absolutely make it by hand! I'm very anti-bread machine (I don't have good reasons for that belief, I just don't like them) and I don't have a stand mixer (I do like them, just don't have the room) so I do it all by hand and it's pretty fast and easy. I think bread is way easier to make than most other baked goods - you don't have to measure the ingredients out too exactly, shaping it isn't fussy, and there's no decorating like with cakes.

Most bread only needs to be kneaded for 5 minutes or so and it really doesn't take that much arm strength. You should use your whole body - shoulders, back, etc - to get some weight into it so that you're really not using that much arm strength at all. This particular bread is also nice because I think kneading it less actually gives it a softer texture. I've also never had breads totally fail from being lazy and not kneading them quite as much as I should
3.gif

eta: I forgot the recipe!

Houska
2 eggs
2 pkgs yeast
1/2 c water (should be "baby bottle warm" - about 100 degrees or a little higher)
1 c milk
1/2 c sugar
1/4 lb butter, melted
1 t salt
4 1/2 - 5 1/2 c flour
1 c golden raisins

Heat 1/2 c water until warm. Add yeast, 1 T sugar, and let raise for a few minutes until foamy.

Mix milk and melted butter and heat until warm (but not hot). Beat eggs with sugar, salt, and yeast mixture. Add to milk and butter.

Add in flour and raisins and knead for 5 minutes maximum. Don't over knead and don't add more flour than needed; this will keep it very soft and tender. Let raise until double (1 1/2 hours approximately).

Deflate dough and divide into six equal pieces. Roll pieces out into ropes and braid two loaves, 3 ropes per braid (you can modify this and do a 4 rope braid if you know how to do them; stack a 4 rope braid on the bottom, then a 3 rope braid, then a twist on top). Let raise on a sheet pan for 25 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 10:03:19 AM
Author: Blackpaw
7.gif
and im a little daunted at the prospect of trying it out, seeing as its so expensive...

9.gif
Can you make regular creamy pasta? You can purchase truffle salt online (which has real bits of truffles in it, rather than just truffle flavor like they put in the oils) and sprinkle a little in instead of regular salt. Instant truffle cream pasta! And way cheaper than buying actual truffles.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
Our oven/stove blew up, and since our apartment managers are taking their sweeeeeet bleepin'' time, we''ve been without the means to cook pretty much anything for almost 3 weeks. Haven, I''m ALLOVAH the rice and beans, particularly considering how much I''ve loved the other recipes I''ve stolen from you! 4ever, I have a gift for screwing up fish, so I''m jealous because I love it (well, unless I cooked it--then it''s always a disaster for some reason). And poshpepper, I''m with you on the sushi! I could eat it every single night if it weren''t so expensive! Hmmm, wonder if my cleaning out the closet today can be used as leverage to convince the hubs I need a rainbow roll...

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I love too many foods to have an absolute favorite. But one of my favorite things to make at home is chicken tacos. Delish white meat chicken, crispy whole grain tortilla shells, the general accoutrement (lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, shredded cheese, avocado) and the best part..... a big dollop of Fage greek yogurt. Mmmm. All the flavor and half the guilt of a big greasy beef taco in a soft shell.

I also make the best meatloaf ever. With some garlic mashed potatoes and sweet peas on the side, it''s just divine. I''m a true Iowa girl. Meat and potatoes.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 4:47:46 PM

7.gif

9.gif

Can you make regular creamy pasta? You can purchase truffle salt online (which has real bits of truffles in it, rather than just truffle flavor like they put in the oils) and sprinkle a little in instead of regular salt. Instant truffle cream pasta! And way cheaper than buying actual truffles.

That''s a really good idea, El
35.gif
ive never heard of truffle salt. I''ll look it up now
21.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2010 12:12:34 AM

Date: 5/13/2010 4:47:46 PM

7.gif

9.gif

That''s a really good idea, El
35.gif
ive never heard of truffle salt. I''ll look it up now
21.gif
I know Williams-Sonoma sells it and you can find it on Amazon. I think it''s like $20 a jar? But a little goes a long way so you can start truffling up all of your cooking! Haha. I keep meaning to buy some and it slips my mind every time I make an Amazon purchase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results