shape
carat
color
clarity

"Going Out" Look

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if people could describe their "going out" look (e.g. going out with friends to a bar, going out with SO to dinner, etc.). If you could describe your clothing, accessories, hair and makeup that would be great. Pictures are good too! TIA.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I am at work, so no pics, maybe later, but my look really depends on who I am going with.
I don''t club, so it is either nice dinner with Dh or nice dinner with family.
I usually wear a skirt or dress, which I rarely wear the rest of the time. Not usually fancy, more buisness looking, although I have a few girly skirts. If it is DH I wear one of the nice, but revealing shirts I can''t wear day to day. If it is the family, I wear something more sedate on top, again, semi professional looking, granted, I dress that way most of the time.

I usually only add earrings which I rarely wear otherwise as far as jewelry goes.

For Make-up, I normally wear blush, eyebrow powder and sometimes a little concealer. For going out, I add a light foundation, eye liner, eye shadow and lip gloss.

For hair it really depends. If my hair is behaving, I brush it and go. If it isn''t them I put it is a bun thing. It is too long and thick to put it into a traditional bun so I just twist it and wind it around itself until it is tight and then I have a jeweled clip I put it back with and spray.

I wear heels, but I always wear heels.

For really nice, I have some girly dresses from Anthropologie and I wear real lipstick.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Cardigans over tanks, nice v neck sweaters, and dark wash jeans or slacks.

joxxxelyn

Shiny_Rock
I''ve attached a look that''s fairly versatile for going out and leans on the casual side. I believe that pic is from Ann Taylor. The key for going out is to have some nice basics that you can layer over and accessorize. Good fitting pants, slacks, shorts, or skirts can be matched with sexy tanks, blouses, jackets, and shrugs to put together something nice. Obviously blazers are huge right now, but unlike most trends they are classic, so they''re a good investment piece. I found a nice one that I have had for about a month at Newport News that can be dressed up or down. http://www.newport-news.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=39149273

You could something like that with a nice sheath dress like this. http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=55641&CatID=55641&Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=17b5205&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeed-_-Google-_-American%20Living-_-American%20Living%20Panel%20Sheath%20Dress%20Magenta

Pair them with some nice heels or flats and added some chunky jewelry and you''ll be ready to go. It''s all about finding a good fit and having those basic elements there that work together to create a look.

For inspiration about general themes, colors, and outlines, I look at http://www.fashion.net/ I treat it like an online look book.

Then I hit up vintage shops and places like Forever 21 where I can get some staples and funky things to mix.

MA6751M_outlg404x746.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh, this is going to be a great thread!

Usually, I'll wear jeans or pants that make my butt look good (What? It's the truth.
9.gif
) and really high heels. I've been living in my Viggos Dublin skinny jeans lately, they look so good with super high heels. I'll pair those with a cute top. I like unique clothes, so my tops usually have some unique design element to them. I like layering interesting combinations, too.

I'm really into high heeled sandals with exaggerated details around the heel right now. Yum. AND, I'm loving the 80s boots that are super in right now, too.

When it gets nicer out I'll occassionally wear a pair of short shorts with super high heels out to the bars, I always feel pretty sexy in that look. OR, a cute short dress with big heels is fun, too.

If we're going out to a low key dinner, I'll straighten my hair and wear slightly dramatic makeup and understated jewelry. If we're going out to a bar or club I'll straighten but then tease the roots of my hair for some sexy volume, and wear fun, big jewelry. I have great thick bangs right now, too, and they add a nice dramatic element. I love them. I'll curl my hair and put in my clip-in extensions for a lot of extra volume for a special night out.

I like big, mushy looking handbags right now, so that's what I usually carry.

For makeup, I like to either exaggerate my eyes or my lips. When I do my eyes I wear super dark eye shadow with a shimmery purple pink highlight and really dark, smudgy black eyeliner and loads of mascara.
When I do my lips DH gets to pick his favorite color and I wear whatever he likes best.

I definitely tend to go for riskier, edgier looks. I like dramatic pieces that make a statement. I blame that on my costume designer roots.
10.gif

I go to Lookbook and The Sartorialist for inspiration. So much fun. Link and link.

ETA: I like to shop for fun trendy pieces in thrift stores and discount stores (Loehmann's, Nordstrom Rack) so I can get a lot of great pieces that will only last a season and not feel bad about spending too much on them.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I wear dark wash jeans, a cute top (some examples below) and high heels. I also accessorize with bigger bolder jewelry.

cute sexy tops

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe LBD for all of the above. Same ring(s). I might add a bracelet and change the earrings, but overall I'm pretty predictable! I love adding brightly coloured shoes to a plain short black sheath - I have a bunch in different textures and lengths
1.gif

When I'm going out with FI he picks the perfume, anywhere else it's burberry or ysatis.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Wow I like all the suggestions so far. I''m off to read all the tips on the links now.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have many pictures, but here is me in one of the anthropologie dresses. Not a lot of make-up and some dangly earrings, but no other jewelry. It isn''t full length, just to my knees, but the photo doesn''t go that far.

anthrodress5040.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
brazen--You are so stunning. Your avatar photo is gorgeous, and then you post this photo! Wow.

I love anthropologie. I always want to redecorate my home after spending time in that store, it feels so calm and cozy.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Going out for me lately has been going to a casual-style restaurant with husband and friends--a chance to get out of the sweats I usually wear all day long:

Nice Jeans
Solid Color Top
Chanel-style Jacket
Cute Skimmers {can''t wear heels}
Jewelry--necklaces under the jacket, earrings, different rings
Full-on Make Up
Girly Perfume {even tho husband is allergic}
Winter: Fur--Spring: Embellished Duster {I''m ALWAYS Cold}

If we go more formal I usually wear one of my DVF {or knock-off} dresses with my SS pearls, diamond earrings and upgrade ring.

Erin

Ideal_Rock

GirlsNightOutPictures027.jpg

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I''ve gotten increasingly boring the older I get and the closer I get to being married, so we don''t go out very often. When we do, I tend to go from one extreme to another with my hair - either add a lot of curl to it or make it super straight and sleek. I almost always wear dressy jeans with heels, and my style is pretty preppy and safe, so I wear a lot of J.Crew and Banana Republic.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Jeans and heels with a form fitting top! I''m pretty casual day to day so this is dressed up for me.
1.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don't go to clubs or fancy places. If it's a bar, typically it's a low key type of place. Otherwise, I go to friends' houses and don't get very dressed up. We go to nice restaurants, but honestly, most nice nice restaurants are fairly casual these days.

My usual clothes are:
dark jeans
shirt (usually a sweater or short sleeved shirt, nothing too fancy)
hair - styled straight like usual
make up - kind of my normal look, but with darker liner and more eye shadow
flats or boots - I don't like wearing heels to house parties and ruining their wood floors, and usually the bars I go to aren't fancy enough for heels. I do wear heels when possible though! I'm almost 5'10", so I sometimes feel too tall in heels around certain friends, so it really depends.

I'll also wear a casual dress if it's warm enough.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Brazen you are stunning (and I''m jealous of your hair). That dress is very nice. I''ll have to see if I can find something like it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just put on my Hairy Chest Disco Shirt, and I'm ready to Par TAY!
Oh Yeah! Baby!

The chest hair doesn't match my head hair and it moves with the shirt, but if you get there at midnight all the chicks are drunk and don't notice.
37.gif

00hcshirt.jpg

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I wear lots of different things when I go out, but I''ve been into dresses lately--casual jersey for low-key bars and restaurants, and short, tight, and fancy for clubs in Vegas.

One of the easiest going out looks, IMO, is the following:

dark-wash jeans
interesting/fancy top (sparkly, silky, fun pattern, etc.)
cardigan
colorful purse or clutch
heels (tuck your jeans into high-heeled boots if it''s cold out)

One of my favorite things to do is to bring a reasonably-sized purse along so that I can carry backup shoes. Those thin flip-flops they give you when you get pedicures are great. I always seem to end up walking a lot on most nights out, and my backup shoes come in handy all the time (I wouldn''t even consider walking a mile home in 5" heels!).

Okay, now it''s time for my PSA: please, please, please do not ever consider driving after you''ve been drinking. As a criminal defense attorney, I see DUIs ruin lives on a daily basis. Walk, take a cab, or have a DD anytime you go out and have a drink. You can take almost 200 $10 cab rides home for the cost of first-time offender probation alone--not to mention the cash you''ll have to fork over for fines, attorney fees, drug and alcohol classes, and restitution if you injure someone. Anyway, I know that PSers are well aware of this, and I''m probably preaching to the choir, but the things I see every day break my heart. Please stay safe and don''t drink and drive! [Gets off soapbox.]

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 8:03:16 PM
Author: kittybean
Okay, now it''s time for my PSA: please, please, please do not ever consider driving after you''ve been drinking. As a criminal defense attorney, I see DUIs ruin lives on a daily basis. Walk, take a cab, or have a DD anytime you go out and have a drink. You can take almost 200 $10 cab rides home for the cost of first-time offender probation alone--not to mention the cash you''ll have to fork over for fines, attorney fees, drug and alcohol classes, and restitution if you injure someone. Anyway, I know that PSers are well aware of this, and I''m probably preaching to the choir, but the things I see every day break my heart. Please stay safe and don''t drink and drive! [Gets off soapbox.]
Where did drinking and driving come up in this thread? I''m confused.
Either way, I agree with you completely. DUIs do ruin lives.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
My going out looks are my favourate because it these kinds of clothes that suit me best. I have a very full hourglass figgure and I''m pretty tall. The clothes that suit me most are very talored and fitted to my body shape; high waisted pencil skirts, very form fitting dresses and lower necklines, all of which lend themselves best to evening/going out clothes and not so much to casual wear. I look like crap in any pants and anything the slightest bit loose or unshaped so it''s super hard to do the "Don''t I look totally fab without trying" look which I so wish I could. Instead I try and keep my hair natural and loosly curly and do minimal make up to avoid the dressed up to the nines and trying a little too hard look.

Joxxelyn- That outfit in the picture is super cute and I love it except for the cropped pant- Cropped pants look good on so few people because they make peoples legs look so much shorter then they really are.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to go all out when I''m going out to dinner somewhere nicer or out on a date. We don''t drink, so KittyBean''s warning is wasted on us.
28.gif

I''m going to add a couple collages of outfits I''ve worn. First up is what I wore a week ago to our fourth dating anniversary dinner. I was getting sick, so tossed on the sweater at the last minute. Also, the bag is really about the same color as the dress, it just photographs funny since it''s made of sequins.

Freke outfit collage.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, what I wore to my family birthday party at an Italian restaurant. I tend to wear as many dresses as possible when I go out because I seem to be collecting a bunch and not wearing them! So I need to do something about that. I also wear things like bustier type tops from White House Black Market and pants, but always heels, and some makeup. I tend to wear my hair down when I go out since I almost always wear it up when I''m not going out.

Heres the other outfit (the green satin is supposed to represent a green satin sash I wore instead of the white sash thing.

Freke Birthday outfit.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't dress that much differently when I go out, actually. I usually wear black skinny jeans and a baggy tank top with wedges. (Heels hurt my feet too much!) Sometimes I'll wear a shorter black skirt (I have a few I love) with opaque black tights, a tucked in top and wedges. In the summer I'll wear a dress with wedges. I don't wear much make up but I'll usually put on blush, lip gloss and maybe even eye shadow if I'm feeling crazy. I usually wear lighter eye shadows-shimmery white, silver or pink are my favorites.

I'll try to find a picture...not sure if I have any though!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I found a picture of a dress I actually own and just wore out the other night. (This is not me!) This is actually pretty much exactly how I would wear it-long simple necklace and layered over a fitted tank dress, with chunky wedges. This is a pair I have and wear pretty often: Jeffrey Campbell 99

tiedyedress.jpg

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Kenny where on earth do you dig up this stuff?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2010 8:48:07 PM
Author: Haven

It didn''t come up at all
1.gif
. Going out clothes made me think of fun nights out, which reminded me of all the fun-night-out-gone-totally-wrong cases I have, so I thought I''d just pipe up with my random PSA.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 7:09:58 PM

1.gif
. Going out clothes made me think of fun nights out, which reminded me of all the fun-night-out-gone-totally-wrong cases I have, so I thought I''d just pipe up with my random PSA.
kittybean, I can sympathize. I am not an attorney, but I am a legal assistant at a law firm, and I find that it means I worry about seemingly "random" things that I didn''t think about before I worked there (we are mainly a products liability/personal injury firm).

As for the topic at hand, if we''re "going out" to a bar/club, I always wear dark jeans, and just any random top-and-heel combination that goes; I usually bust out a pair of costume earrings to spice it up a bit
1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 7:59:27 AM
Author: oddoneout
Kenny where on earth do you dig up this stuff?

Well, Google, of course.
31.gif

Click-O-Rama

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 7:09:58 PM
1.gif
I must be getting OLD--the thought never crossed my mind. We''re having a wild night if I have more than one cocktail while we''re out and DH rarely drinks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results