shape
carat
color
clarity

Will I regret...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
... not getting the gem certificate? The stone was the price of a nice lunch - I didn''t think doubling it for the cert was worth it - what is the value in the certificate? Resale only? Proof? I am not going to insure this ring... am I going to regret not buying the cert?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think so, unless it was something really important to me.

If I found an engagement ring gem, and it was, let''s say, $50, yes, I''d cert it. Anything else, unless it was intended to commemorate a significant event, I wouldn''t.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never certed any of my colored gems...but I''ve also only bought from reputable PS recommended vendors and none of my stones cost too much so..

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d only get a cert if I was spending a significant amount of money. Or if it was something I''d want to insure.

I only buy from PS vendors and don''t spend much on each stone. HTH

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2010 9:50:44 PM
Author:Cehrabehra
... not getting the gem certificate? The stone was the price of a nice lunch - I didn''t think doubling it for the cert was worth it - what is the value in the certificate? Resale only? Proof? I am not going to insure this ring... am I going to regret not buying the cert?

It really depends, and sometimes the price of the stone has nothing to do with it. I just certified a $150 stone because it''s a gem that is commonly synthesized. The certification is $25, so I thought it was worth it. Also, if you get a gem for a very good price and if you think it''s something much more valuable, it might be worth your time to certify it, and check for treatments.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s just the aqua cab I bought and it only cost $30 and the cert was $20... I guess it is commemorating a major event - turning 40 - but other than the stunningly perfect shape, I don''t think the stone would be difficult to replace.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sara!

Nice to see you back to PS, and now here in the Colored Stone forum... you might remember me from way back in the day (OMC cuts, "icebergs" etc)

I personally would pass on a cert on a stone at that price point, usually i start to think about it once the stone is above 300-400$... I hope to see you and "Gemini" around these parts more!

Date: 5/7/2010 11:35:42 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
It''s just the aqua cab I bought and it only cost $30 and the cert was $20... I guess it is commemorating a major event - turning 40 - but other than the stunningly perfect shape, I don''t think the stone would be difficult to replace.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn''t get a certificate on an inexpensive beryl.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 11:44:27 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
Hi Sara!

Nice to see you back to PS, and now here in the Colored Stone forum... you might remember me from way back in the day (OMC cuts, 'icebergs' etc)

I personally would pass on a cert on a stone at that price point, usually i start to think about it once the stone is above 300-400$... I hope to see you and 'Gemini' around these parts more!

It's just the aqua cab I bought and it only cost $30 and the cert was $20... I guess it is commemorating a major event - turning 40 - but other than the stunningly perfect shape, I don't think the stone would be difficult to replace.
Does your name start with the same letter as mine? If so howdy!
35.gif

ETA - Gemini is in the the USA and I'm in China
8.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Yes indeed!

Date: 5/7/2010 11:55:17 PM

35.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I would follow MTG''s post..if bought from a reputable vendor here on PS no need..i would cert any stone from ebay..a buddy of mine bought 2 stones at different times from a "reputable" ebay Thai vendor i have seen a few of you post before..one was a 4+ct deep green tsavorite..had a crack and filler in it undisclosed..also bought a certified burma sapphire with the cert. from whoever all these thai ebay vendors use..ya know who i am talking about..cerified burma..well guess what when it was sent to AGL origin was suddenly ceylon..hmm..I think i trust Chris Smith and AGL much better than that hobunk lab all those ebay thai sellers use..so as you can see this "reputable" ebay vendor has let some pretty expensive mistakes go by

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2010 11:57:46 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
Yes indeed!

Date: 5/7/2010 11:55:17 PM

35.gif

good to see you :) I want to reset my diamond and put an emerald in that setting eventually... I was conflicted because I loved the setting in some ways and yet it wasn''t what I wanted and turned out my diamond is unhappy in it... but I think an emerald in that setting will really be perfect.

I posted on and off for a year but I''ve been posting more regularly the last year or so... especially lately lol I''m having massive yearnings!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t feel a certification is necessary on gemstones unless there is a significant amount of money involved. Your pear aqua cab is very pretty.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got the vendor from a link here - not ebay... I always liked michael, but I got hooked!! I doubt anyone would imitate a cab aqua lol

Okay, thanks guys - I thought it would be overkill... I suppose if I was a true collector and the card was part of it for me I wouldn''t have had to think about it and I would have just gotten it...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results