shape
carat
color
clarity

A question on asscher??

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, I have been seeing all this asscher that PSer has acquired and I have to say that I am really tempted to get one for myself. So I went ahead with a amethyst asscher purchase. However, I was rather disappointed when it arrives. The patterns does not show up as clearly as some of the other asscher I had seen, hence I have it return promptly. Can I know why does the patterns show up better in some but not so good in others? I was told that asscher/ step cut looks better in lighter-colored stone, do you agree? What will happen if it is on a darker stone, can you still see the patterns?

Photo0272.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chictomato, with asschers, colour is important but CUT is what's key with a classic Asscher shape, but not all gemstones can look sparkly with the more classic cut, so a lot of cutters add different facets to the pavillion. Not all cutters cut classic asscher shapes the same. Peter's sort of look a bit like this, as do Barry's. Gene, Gary, and Jeff all seem to cut more of a classic shape.

Might I enquire as to who you purchased this one from? That's not a Gemburi/Odyssey asscher is it?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/6/2010 8:38:07 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Chictomato, with asschers, colour is important but CUT is what''s key with a classic Asscher shape, but not all gemstones can look sparkly with the more classic cut, so a lot of cutters add different facets to the pavillion. Not all cutters cut classic asscher shapes the same. Peter''s sort of look a bit like this, as do Barry''s. Gene, Gary, and Jeff all seem to cut more of a classic shape.

Might I enquire as to who you purchased this one from? That''s not a Gemburi/Odyssey asscher is it?
absolutely, its from Doug
1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 8:41:30 PM
Author: chictomato

Date: 5/6/2010 8:38:07 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Chictomato, with asschers, colour is important but CUT is what''s key with a classic Asscher shape, but not all gemstones can look sparkly with the more classic cut, so a lot of cutters add different facets to the pavillion. Not all cutters cut classic asscher shapes the same. Peter''s sort of look a bit like this, as do Barry''s. Gene, Gary, and Jeff all seem to cut more of a classic shape.

Might I enquire as to who you purchased this one from? That''s not a Gemburi/Odyssey asscher is it?
absolutely, its from Doug
1.gif
Cool, I just got my first asscher from Doug and it''s fabulous, IMO.
1.gif

This was my Peter Torraca amethyst;

original.aspx

Maybe try other vendors? I''ve been really happy with the asschers from the guys I''ve mentioned.
9.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tks for the reply LTP! Yes, I was expecting my amethyst to look like yours:), but well, it turns out a little different. Guess I shall send him an email now:) O ya, does the asscher pattern shows up nicer in darker or lighter gems? TIA!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Facet patterns generally show better in lighter materials, but what you experienced happened because of several reasons, mostly tone of color and refractive index. While it''s true that lighter materials show facet patterns better, if they''re too light, there''s not enough contrast and it''s actually harder to capture the pattern. Cutters can intervene and maybe adjust some angles, but I guess they can''t do that every time as effectivelly. As I said, refractive index also plays a role, as high R. I. materials slow down light more, therefore making contrasts/shadows stronger and brilliance sharper (more distinct). Cutting plays a role in this case too, but a higher R. I. should, from a visual stand-point, help in capturing facet patterns. You can also create more shadows and contrasts where there''s not enough by bezeling the stone, so in theory even very light stones could show that pattern nicely once bezeled.

Hope this helps.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
tks ma re! Does spinel have a higher RI? will a darker colored asscher spinel looks good?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2010 5:46:03 AM
Author: chictomato
tks ma re! Does spinel have a higher RI? will a darker colored asscher spinel looks good?
I have to agree with MaRe on the high RI and lighter body tone in order to make the best out of the asscher cut. Yes, spinel has much higher RI and will sparkle better. No, a darker coloured asscher is not recommended if you want to be able to see the nice step pattern. If you look at LTP’s picture above, her scapolite looks better than her amethyst due to higher RI AND a lighter tone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results