shape
carat
color
clarity

Healthier LIfestyle Thread May3-9 2010

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the late start you guys! It''s been a rough weekend, and I''m not so sure that I am awake lol. SO decided to slice his ear in half, and I''ve had to wake him every two hours at night to make sure it isn''t bleeding, and make sure he is alert and what not.
No concussion, but they worried about internal ear bleeding.

Anyways.

I wanted to start this week by discussing goals. Many people start out with long term goals that are the most important to them, but I think it is important to also make short term goals, including day to day goals that will help towards the bigger picture. I''d like to hear what some of your short term goals are? It could be trying new foods, counting your calories, trying a new gym regimen, making a first step in your long term goals... anything that will help you to be healthier this week, and take some time to really think about and do these goals!

Mine are:
Make sure that I''m eating cleaner... less junk. I am actually keeping a food journal on my phone now.
Challenge my body to work harder in my workouts, using heavier weights... doing more cardio... and really pushing for that last set.
Watch my sodium intake this week, I need to reduce this
I want to try actually COOKING more vegetables. I feel like I rely too much on salads or microwave steam bags. I want to learn to saute, roast and grill my veggies.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the opener DF. Goals are important and such a motivator, especially with running. I find if you set a goal for yourself, it’s easier to get to. My long-term goal is to run a full marathon. I’m going to start training in June to (hopefully) be ready to run the Rock-n-Roll marathon in October. I have a weekly training guide that I follow pretty strictly. My short-term goal is to run my long run every week. Another goal is just to maintain a healthy eating routine.

So, my weekend was nice! We went to a local brewery on Saturday evening for a little birthday celebration. I’m not a huge beer drinker, so I got a dirty martini. I did my long run Saturday morning, and it felt great! I did 13 miles at a pretty slow pace. When I got home the only thing that was sore were my feet. After my long run and I sit for too long, I’ll get stiff when I walk. My toenails aren’t happy with me, but, what am I to do? Sunday I did a quick 3 miles to loosen my muscles. I start tapering this week for my half marathon in 2 weeks. My long run this weekend is only 5 miles. My eats weren’t great, weren’t bad. Friday night was whole wheat pasta, Sat was a chicken salad, and Sunday I made a wrap by cutting up a veggie burger, and cooking it w/ some red pepper. Put some hummas on the wrap. It was tasty! Tonight we’re having pork and I’m doing some weight training/abs.

Df- Your poor SO’s ear. How did he manage that one!?

Marcy- Hope your weather is nice up there! We’re suppose to have a couple of nice days here.

Deegee- Yes, their loft is by the river.

Maevie- I’m a SW and did some counseling years ago. Tough thing to do! Congrats to you!

Back to work I go on this busy Monday! Take care!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies-I am back in action:"-) Pretty much settled into my new job and am realistically making more time for me so that I can exercise and hopefully have more sucess on the TTC front this summer.

DH just had his sleep apnea appointment and I think this is going to have to be the start of a turn-around for us. He has to lose weight and I really should too. I am quite uncomfortable with this most recent weight gain since we got married and I started my MBA program (15 lbs
23.gif
). Plus, I had an extra 15-20 lbs on my frame before that.

So, I''m back and I am going with dragonfly''s short-term goals.

1. I packed my lunch today (YAY)
2. I will eat no more than 2 slices of pizza at the review session tonight
3. I will stretch or do 15 minutes of yoga before bed tonight
4. I will pack my lunch tomorrow

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great topic dragonfly! Now that I have reached my weight loss goal, I have begun setting healthy lifestyle goals. I drink too many beverages with caffeine every day. My first goal with caffeine is to finish 2 bottles of water before I have a diet dew each day. I started out with a goal of one water before the dew, so I'm heading in the right direction!

dragonfly - Ouch for your SO! Good thing for no concussion.

beachrunner - Good luck with your upcoming training. I can't imagine running for 13 miles. Wowza!

bella - Glad you're settling in with your job. I hope all goes well with your hubby's sleep apnea. Does he have to use the CPAP machine?

marcy - I like sapphire & merlot both in real life too! I still haven't decided, so I probably will end up not getting a new car because I can't pick the color. Actually, I was kind of undecided whether or not to get a new car until I drove today and had such a hard time getting out of mine. I'm at the point in my life where comfort is all that matters!

Today was a super hectic day, but everything turned out okay. Hubby stayed home because he has a very uncomfortable sunburn on his legs, arms and head and I think he has an abscessed tooth. Thankfully he goes to the dentist bright and early tomorrow morning. Bless his heart, he knew I was going to be home late so he made dinner. He fixed whole grain pasta with marinara sauce, and I have tasty leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Yay! We're getting ready to take our walk and I'm hoping to get to bed before 11. Have a great day tomorrow everyone.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday kids!

I went to the gym yesterday (I can't remember if I posted or not... senility at 39 is a terrible thing... !) and again tonight. Only 15 mins each on the elliptical and bike, and arms again today, but a lot of stretching and bending of this damn knee. If I were burning any calories with the knee stuff I swear I'd weigh about 7 lbs right now!

Dragon, great opener! My goal right now it to eat better. I did some "oh pity me" eating there for a while and I'm done with it. (That, and my pants are too tight, LOL!) Went to the store the other day and got a lot of fruit and veggies. Had to call the XHH to ask him how to cook asparagus, but I'm going to try that later and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Beach, sounds like you did some great running this weekend!

Bella, I am/was (don't ask!) seeing a guy with sleep apnea. He won't wear his CPAP when I stay over. Seriously dude, if it makes you sleep better I can find a way to live with it. Men!

Deegee, oh your poor hubby! Hope he's feeling better soon!

So I think I accidentally went on a date today. There was this IT guru when I worked at the hedge fund that I always had a crush on. Never did anything about it because, um, I was married (!), and then when I was first divorced he we engaged (didn't work out), and out of the blue (hadn't talked to for about a year and a half) he emailed me last week and asked me to lunch. I thought it was some sort of networking thing because the hedge fund company is undergoing some drastic changes and I figured he must be looking for a job, but it dawned on me about half way through my turkey and swiss on whole wheat that I was on a *date*. Holy moly!!! Can you say "Dee is dense sometimes"?!?

Anyway, off to hang some picutures and work on that asparagus...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I dunno if I actually set goals--good question. Maybe it is more avoidance of things--don''t overdo so I don''t get an injury--biggie for me. So maybe that is a goal cuz it is measurable......

Speaking of injuries, sorry for the cut ear and sunburns! Yeow! And sore toenails!

Mega water workout today--enjoying the same.

Keep well folks! Shout out to Rod, where ever you are!
35.gif

cheers--Sharon

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any real set goals except to eat cleaner (which is why I post my daily accountability post here) and to exercise more (and sleep more!).

I had a pretty good eating and moving day today :)

breakfast: whole wheat bread with margarine, crystal light
snack: none
lunch: carrots, yogurt, pecans, grapes, 2 small tea cookies
snack: Power Bar protein bar
supper: chicken noodle soup, whole wheat soda crackers and asparagus with parmesan, glass of milk
snack: 10 Sunchips, bowl of strawberries

exercise:
10 minute walk
30 minute elliptical with 2.5 lb weights in each hand :)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
df~ Another great discussion opener! (sorry about your SO''s ear! Youch!!)

beachrunner~ Great job on all your running!!

bella~ my DH has sleep apnea too. I wish he''d try to live a little healthier too. Good luck to you both!

deegee~ Totally understand the Diet Dew addiction!! I quit caffeine completely several months ago. Then I restarted. It''s just SOO good. With this pregnancy I had to give it up again but I do have one every once in a while.

deejay~ lol to your accidental date!

canuk~ I think keeping from overdoing is a goal. Since I''ve been told to "take it easy" I know it''s been something I have to consciously think about.

Hi, Lorelei, Marcy, Rod, Maevie, and all you HLTers!!!

My short term goals were/are:

Add LOTS more veggies. Try them at every opportunity. Now I love veggies.
Increase water and decrease soda. (it is something I have to THINK about every day)
SWEAT during workouts. I finally figured that this is when I start seeing physical changes. (not doing this now, but will again when I restart real workouts)

My dr appts went wonderfully! Baby''s heartbeat is perfect and her heart is perfectly healthy now! 10 more weeks until we meet her!

Still taking it easy so not much for workouts. Eats are good though. Weight gain is going well. I''m staying within the range that I originally set as my goal. Hopefully I''ll be able to keep a handle on it through the next few weeks and not have a bunch to lose after delivering.

Have a great tomorrow all!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I hope you had a great Monday.

I took my team to lunch today. We had a nice time but I ate too much.

For supper I wandered around the mall and picked up a small chicken nuggets and had a small dish of TCBY frozen yogurt. I had a $10 off coupon and got a pair of Lee pants for $15. Woo hoo! I love bargains.

I had 20 papers to grade when I got home. This last week of class will be busy with people getting things turned in at the last minute. I will be so bored after that but I am sure I will find ways to amuse myself. I will miss that check 10 months a year though. Rats.

Dragonfly, great opener! Oh no to your SO hurting his ear, I hope he gets better. My short term goals are to snack less, don’t give in to stress eating and get out there and walk!

Beach Runner, it is warm here but the wind is very chilly. Sounds like you got in a lot of running this weekend. I hope your toenails are feeling better.

Bella, glad to hear you are settling in to your new job. That is nice you and your husband can work on losing a few pounds together. Packing your own lunch is quite helpful.

Deegee, comfort is important in life especially when you have pain. I just reach a point some days when I am very tired of pain. The Matt good luck at the dentist. How sweet he had supper ready for you when you got home today.

DeeJay, glad to hear you can work out with your sore knee. Did you have fun at lunch?

Sharon, avoiding injuries is an important goal. Glad you had a great workout today.

Well, I need to go get the electric blanket back on our bed. I took it off because Marty is warm blooded but since he is out of town this week I am going to get it back out. After he left at 4:30 this morning I couldn’t get back to sleep so I moved to our spare bedroom where the bed still has the electric blanket. I cranked it on and was toasty warm and sound asleep when the alarm went off.

Byeee!
Marcy
35.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hey folks!

Nice opener Dragon. Short term goals for me is to cut down on snacking and to limit my alcohol to only weekends.

Great weekend. I spend Weds-Fri home sick. Thurs and Fri I actually worked from home. Sat I went on a short run. Sunday we went outlet mall shopping. Oy! Today did a pretty easy yoga class at the gym.

Dragon, hope your SO''s ear is OK.

Beach, man, oh man I couldn''t do your long runs. I couldn''t even finish my short on on Saturday. I took a few walking breaks. I suppose I ahven''t run at all for the past 3 weeks (since sis hurt her ankle)

Bella, hope DH''s apnea treatment is successful. What sort of stuff do you pack for lunch.

Deegee, awesome goal with the water intake. I drink for the most part *just* water during the day, usually about 2L worth. You should be able to do 2 bottles for each Dew no problem. And you''re not denying yourself so more likelihood of succcess. I also found when you stay hydrated you don''t need as much caffenine. Good luck!

Dee, so nice to see you again! Awesome on the accidental date. You''re so cute!

Sharon, glad to hear the water workouts are still going well

Mavie, your goal of sleeping more is totally important and something a lot of us need to do. Go you on your eats!

SS, AW My heart skipped when I read your post about the baby!
36.gif

Marcy, glad you ahd a good lunch with your team.

Well, it''s pretty late and I need to hit the hay,

G''nite!

~Lisa

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Hello all
35.gif

Thought I''d participate. I dated a guy in Chicago for a few weeks and he took me to all his favorite restaurants. Falafels, Cali pizza, bacon wrapped dates, burger with smoked gouda on pretzel roll, steak fajitas.... and let''s not start on the locally brewed beer selections.

So despite all my working out and eating healthy I gained four pounds last month. I ditched the boyfriend so it''s back to my own cooking - no restaurant food. Last few nights I''ve done the grilled chicken and peppers/onions/mushrooms/zucchini in a tortilla. Last night I baked a squash and topped it with an Italian diced tomato concoction. I''m totally digging on vegetables. This morning was two eggs, spinach and mushrooms. I think I could put mushrooms on anything. My two setbacks are fighting sweet cravings and alcohol. I''m staying away from both 100% until May 22nd. Just to see what kind of difference it makes.

I try to run 2 miles every morning on the treadmill at the gym. It''s nice outside now so my goal for this week is to map out two miles starting at my house. I need to start running outdoors - I definitely run faster with a longer stride when outdoors. Not sure if I want to increase my distance or better my time on two miles. Any suggestions?

I also have read the benefits of weight lifting. My gym has universal weight and I''ve tinkered around with chest press and military press. I''m pretty much on the first keyhole setting on both. On my 12th repetition I struggle and I only do that one set. Should I do less of a heavier weight or another rep of 12?

I also Jazzercise because I think that cardio is what''s going to help me remove some of this fat to reveal the muscles I''ve built up the last six months. I''m 5''8 and weigh 156. I''d like to weigh 145, but it just seems the scale won''t move. I''m in the process of reducing my alcohol! dairy, nuts and breads for a short while. I''m a bridesmaid in my brother''s wedding June 19th and this is where I''ve placed my goal.

Thanks for reading and I hope to make time to participate on a regular basis.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hello healthy ladies! (and MIA Rod)
35.gif

So, Tuesday. It’s SUPER windy here, but sunny, warm, and beautiful. Driving to work was crazy. My car was blowing all over the place, drove through a sand storm, and managed to drive over a bundle of branches. (I drive a decent sized Subaru, so it’s not a tiny car getting blown all over the place).

I did weights and abs yesterday. We had pork, sweet potato, and broccoli for dinner. Today I’ll get some running in and have no idea what I’ll cook for myself tonight.

Bella- Congrats on the new job and TTC! Exciting.

9.gif
Packing your lunch daily is a great short-term goal, both for your wallet and eating healthy!

Deegee- I couldn’t imagine running 13 miles either, but your body can do amazing things! Every week I feel myself becoming more acclimated if you will, to running long distances. I bet it’s pretty warm in southern WV now, right?

Dee-jay- Your “date” story cracked me up! Sounds like a wonderful story!

Sharon- Enjoy your water workouts!

Maevie- Do you keep track of your caloric intake each day? I don’t think I could eat so few calories like you do (or so it seems)

SS- Great news about your LO’s heartbeat! That’s SO exciting!! I drank a lot of soda too. Now, I just carry my water bottle everywhere I go and really, don’t miss soda at all.

Marcy- I LOVE good deals as well! I’m such a bargain shopper. My toenail is hanging on (no pun intended, it’s not that bad). It’s lifting a little from the nail bed, so I’ve trimmed it and have been cleaning it multiple times/day w/ peroxide. Sorry if that’s TMI. I was grossing myself out reading about how to care for it. Bleck.

14.gif

Lisa- You’ll be running 13+ miles in no time! Good short-term goals for yourself! I’m sorry you were sick. Blech.

Starset- I read your thread about the guy in Chi-town. Bummer it didn’t work out, but sounds like its for the best. Oh, and welcome! Duh! Don’t stress out about 4 pounds. You’ll get em back off quickly! As for running, I’d start with running for 30min w/o stopping before you try to increase speed. (not sure how long it takes you to run 2 miles). Speed work isn’t meant for beginner runners (again, not sure your level) and may lead to injury. In addition, you mentioned something about a longer stride. Your stride should really stay the same regardless of indoor/outdoor running. Long stride=injury. You should be running about 180 foot strikes/minute. And re: weight lifting. Yes, weight lifting is great for you! Muscle is obv. >fat. Muscle burns more calories and makes you stronger as a whole. Starting out, I’d do 2-3 sets of about 10-15 reps at a fairly low weight. Sounds like you need to decrease some weight if you can’t do more than one set. On that note, it should be hard to do your last few reps.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 1:10:17 PM
Author: BeachRunner

(not sure how long it takes you to run 2 mi)
Your stride should really stay the same regardless of indoor/outdoor running. Long stride=injury.
You should be running about 180 foot strikes/minute.
Thanks for your reply BeachRunner!

Two miles = 20 min, a third mile at this point might put me slightly over 30
My body is all legs. When I run outside I actually have a breathing pattern. When I''m indoor on the treadmill I can pretty much hold a regular conversation and I feel like I''m more jumping up and down as much as I am running. It''s hard to explain. My body works my muscles a different way when I run outdoors. I feel like I''m in too narrow of a space on a TM.
How do I measure strikes/minute? Just count in my head? Sorry if that''s obvious.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Hey BeachRunner - nope I don''t keep track of calories exactly - I just keep track of what I put in my mouth so hopefully I eat more mindfully. The numbers (calories) game is a slippery slope for me as a recovering perfectionist and not worth it :)

I''m a pretty small person so I don''t think the calories are really that low for me - I''m certainly not super hungry except for an hour before my next meal - it seems to work for me - the one thing that I crave the most (besides chocolate bien sur) is milk! cold, delicious milk :)

That said, I went off the rails a bit again today - chocolate is seriously my nemesis.. and I had a pretty good day - my husband''s been seriously stressed at work lately but he''s been dealing with it well - however, I think I decided that I would feel badly for him and eat chocolate as if I were feling sorry for myself.. weird! If only being a psychologist when looking at one''s own life worked as well as it does with clients :)

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
ok - decided to make a new post so my last one wouldn''t be enormously long. Introducing my accountability post for Tuesday!

breakfast: whole wheat soda crackers with margarine, crystal light
snack: 1 small tea cookie
supper: 6 inch sweet onion chicken terikyaki Subway sub with cheddar cheese, onions, pickles, cucumber and lettuce but no sauce, glass of milk
snack: wayyy too much yummy dark chocolate (Nestle noir eggs with little carmelised cocoa bean nibs.. heavenly!)

exercise:
10 minute walk
30 minute elliptical

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
(to be honest, I didn''t actually do the 30 minutes on the elliptical yet - I was hoping that by posting it on here, it would guilt me into getting off the couch... 1, 2, 3... yup heading upstairs to change into my gym clothes - I love this forum!)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I left work a little early today to go out to school. First I checked my mailbox. I threw my mail away and tried to take off my name (a sticker) off the box but it wouldn’t come off. I went to the supply room and looked in my cupboards and left empty handed. I decided I didn’t want anything. I went and turned in my keys. The lady asked me why I was turning them in and when I told her she said that sucks. She even gave me a hug when I left. Then I stopped by the book store and media productions to pick up some booklets they copy for my students. I wandered around to say goodbye to some people but none of them were there. Kind of a sad afternoon for me.

Lisa, good idea on only having alcohol on the weekend. I think I should try that one too. Sorry you were sick for a few days. Shopping sounds fun.

Starset Princess, welcome to the thread. Sounds like you are eating right and getting in a lot of exercise.

Beach Runner, the wind was bad here today too. Ewe to your toenail; good idea to keep it clean with peroxide. I hope it doesn’t hurt too bad.

Maevie, sounds like our husbands have been having lots of stress at work. I feel bad for them. It’s nice of you to help him out and eat some chocolate. LOL! Good for you getting on the elliptical. I walked around quite a bit a school today so I figured that counted for my walk.

Take care.
Marcy

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Marcy - I''m sorry you had such a sad afternoon today. Saying goodbye is such a hard thing sometimes regardless of the circumstances.

I made it on the elliptical (would have been better if I could have skipped the gorging-on-chocolate stage, but oh well) and now it''s bedtime - happy end of Tuesday everyone :)

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone! Happy Tuesday! Today the weather was gorgeous, so I grilled today. Chicken skewers with red & orange peppers & red onions. I had the equivalent of 1/2 a breast, and 1 pepper and 1/4 red onion. I also made roasted corn. Mmmm.. I love grilled corn. Didn''t hit the gym today, I had a dentist appt. No cavities though, woo hoo.

Starset, WELCOME!!! I''m from Chicago, hope you liked the city. I think 4lbs is totally doable. I''m rebuilding my distance again, but I think 2 miles is definitely a good starting position. Re: weight lifting, lifting is REALLY good, not only does it protect your bones and joints, and the whole anti-steoporosis thing, but it is also a longer post-workout calorie burn than cardio. Cardio, once you''re done with cardio, you''re no longer burning calories. Lifting you burn as your body works to rebuild your muslces. I to do 2 sets of heavier weights (100 lb bench, etc), with less 6-8 reps. I guess it depends on what your goal is, but you want go to muscle failure. Then rest a MINIMUM of 60 secs (*very* important to rest), then do it again. You won''t get as high a rep on your second set if your first set was a challenging weight.

Beach, it''s windy and sunny and warm here too!!! How was your run today?

Maevie, Well sounds like your eats are appropriate for you needs. I would be STARVING so I''m impressed. Yay on our elliptical! I love this forum too :)

Marcy, Hugs to you my friend. Tomorrow is another day, I''m sure your students and coworkers will miss you at the university.

~Lisa

pinki

Shiny_Rock
Quick post from me today friends...if you couldn''t tell, this week has been insane and I''ve barely had time for anything. Birthday shenanigans = eat like poo, but weight has stayed the same. I went hiking again Sunday in the Kettle Moraine Southern Unit which is only about 45 minutes from my house. My calves were feeling it again this week. Work switched to our casual summer dress code (awesome!) so I can trade in suits for capri''s. Invites are out and I''ve already received 5 RSVP''s. I have received a TON of compliments on them which makes me beyond happy.

Had dinner at the bestie''s last night and her dog attacked mine...my poor puppy Fred has about 5 bite marks on his right ear. They didn''t puncture through but of course he''s my baby so I''m worried sick. I have been cleaning them and I''ll look at them again tonight and see if we need a vet trip. Kyle says they''re fine and I''m over reacting, but seriously, he''s my baby. The funny part is that as you all know, my dog is a 180lb Mastiff, theirs is a 60 lb black lab...just shows you how docile Mastiffs are, or at least Fred Dog''s. LOL Maybe he had sympathy pains for DF''s SO??? So sorry to hear about his ear Dragonfly!!!

Workouts have been the same - Cardio Monday and today, yesterday was body pump. I got Wii Fit for my birthday and I love it, but since we only have 1 TV it''s hard to use it as often as I''d like.

Hello to everyone!!! I wish I had time to say hi to each of you, but I need to get to work! Welcome to our newest Starset Princess!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2010 10:02:43 PM
Author: Maevie

breakfast: whole wheat soda crackers with margarine, crystal light
snack: 1 small tea cookie
supper: 6 inch sweet onion chicken terikyaki Subway sub with cheddar cheese, onions, pickles, cucumber and lettuce but no sauce, glass of milk
snack: wayyy too much yummy dark chocolate (Nestle noir eggs with little carmelised cocoa bean nibs.. heavenly!)
Haha - everything you ate today, minus the sub and chocolate, looks like enough to fill me up for LUNCH!

I couldn't sleep for a while last night so I woke up late and walked one mile. I thought about running the high school track in the am. Drove by it this morning and didn't see anyone...

pinki

Shiny_Rock
DOH! I forgot...my short term goals. Reflects what a lot of you are focusing on...eating cleaner and better, adding more veggies. We just sent out our check to join our local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). It was affordable, $430 for farm fresh, Organic fruits, veggies and herbs from June - October. The farm is about 30 minutes from where I live, but their drop off point is about 10 blocks from my house. I''m excited to try all the new veggies we get that I''ve never cooked with and to challenge myself to use it all and not waste it. So every week we''ll get a bag of random fresh food, whatever is ready at that time and then I''ll base my cooking for the week off that. YAY! I can''t wait!

I usually spent $20 - $30 a week at the Farmer''s market anyway, so I think this will help me get different foods and get outside my box.

Cj

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hi all! I''m sorry I was MIA yesterday. All this ear stuff seems to have taken it''s toll b/c I am now sick. I slept ALL DAY yesterday.... literally. We got up to eat at around noon... (SO went back to work today), and slept again until 4:30. I spent the evening in bed reading (Wuthering Heights is great sick reading). This morning I did a half hour focused on my abs, nothing hard core. My whole body hurts. I''ll probably do yoga tonight.

SO seems to feel better, as he was back to work this AM. It is mostly that it is sore. He fortunately hasn''t had any balance issues or anything like that.

You guys all have some great goals!!!

Starset - welcome aboard!!!!!!!

Individual hellos later :)

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
pinki-YAY for CSA-we just joined one too!!! so excited:)

I packed lunch Mon and Tues, but had to work a black tie work event until midnight last night, so didn''t pack lunch today.

I think I am going to get veggie sushi and a bubble tea (I know they aren''t the best for you, but they are so yummy!!!--ok I just looked them up and it looks like a small boba tea has about 350 cal, I can take that as long as I only eat WASA and 1 baby bel cheese for my afternoon snack and don''t stop at pinkberry on my way home:)

for breakfast I had a small everything bagel from H&H with cream cheese and cucumber and a smoothie made with all fruit, yogurt, and some OJ.

For dinner, I''m going to make big salads and berries with yogurt and walnuts.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 9:18:27 AM
Author: pinki
DOH! I forgot...my short term goals. Reflects what a lot of you are focusing on...eating cleaner and better, adding more veggies. We just sent out our check to join our local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). It was affordable, $430 for farm fresh, Organic fruits, veggies and herbs from June - October. The farm is about 30 minutes from where I live, but their drop off point is about 10 blocks from my house. I''m excited to try all the new veggies we get that I''ve never cooked with and to challenge myself to use it all and not waste it. So every week we''ll get a bag of random fresh food, whatever is ready at that time and then I''ll base my cooking for the week off that. YAY! I can''t wait!

I usually spent $20 - $30 a week at the Farmer''s market anyway, so I think this will help me get different foods and get outside my box.

Cj
HI:

Very cool. Total yum! I love organic local products and love to support our farmers and agi community.

Same usual mega water workout--praying for good weather so I can return outside to run and bike. Weather has been wet and crappy.

Keep well folks!

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Wednesday kids!

Had PT yesterday (oh joy... ) and went to the gym today. 5 mins elliptical (I got a terrible cramp in the arch of my foot), 25 mins on the bike, and 2 sets of arms. Plus bending, stretching, bending, stretching, lather, rinse, repeat...

Foodwise I''ve been pretty good lately. Yesterday I took a peanut butter cup out of the candy dish in my office, held in in my hand, head it calling my name, stroked it, sniffed it, made in mine... and PUT IT BACK. And last night when Bob and I went to dinner he got dessert and I DIDN''T have one single bite. I''m sure this level of willpower won''t last long so I''m taking full advantage of it now!
3.gif

My mission tonight to to plant the window boxes on my balcony. It''s geting dark so I better hop to it. Be back later!
35.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hump day!
Today was my work from home day. Ah! I ran out and got our mother''s their cards. I''ll put them in the mail tomorrow. I had a fab turkey sandwich for lunch, got my run in (5mi) and made myself tuna, broc, and cous cous for dinner. I noticed my soy ice cream was on sale at the store; I''ll prob pick some up on the weekend. Yum.

starset- I''m not sure I totally understand the whole TM vs outside difference you are experiencing, but thats OK. Running outside is a little more difficult, as the ground isn''t propelling you forward and you have to deal w/ wind, etc. To maximize calories burned, you should always run at a pace where you can hold a conversation. One should stay in their aerobic heart rate range(if you are trying to burn the most calories). When you go to your max you''re getting into your anaerobic exercise. ANYWAYS, the easiest way to measure your cadence is to count foot strikes on one foot for 30 seconds then multiple by 4. This is obv easiest on a TM.

Maevie- I hope you didn''t take the calorie question as a rude question; I was simply just curious. Whatever works for you! I can''t count calories either. I tried for like a week and it just got old to me.

Marcy- I''m so sorry to hear about your situation at work. That must be tough
7.gif
Hang in there!

Lisa- You BBQ sounds wonderful! Yum! 100lb bench press? You go! I think I got to about 60 lbs; when I played softball it was up around 80lbs. Good advice re: weight training. My runs have been good. I''m tapering now so I won''t go over 5 miles until the race. I''m super excited; they are having a BBQ with either tacos or BBQ sandwiches, frozen yogurt, and beer after the race!
18.gif

pinki- Birthdays are always a good excuse to eat what you want! Suits to capris? Nice! I need to buy some new spring/summer outfits. I''m so sorry to hear about your poor pup.
7.gif
I hope he heals quickly!

dragon- I hope you feel better! Side note, everytime I call you DF I always think of Dancing Fire, lol. So, you''ll be dragon now.

bella- I''ve never had bubble tea! Can you believe it. Honestly, I''m not even sure what it is
33.gif

Sharon- Do you compete in any tris? Anyways, wishing you sunny weather!
10.gif

deejay- Oof! I hate foot cramps. Luckily, mine go away pretty quickly. If I get a side cramp, I make sure to breathe through my nose and out through my mouth a couple times to get some oxygen to my muscles. It usually does the trick!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Happy Wednesday everyone. Here''s my daily post :)

breakfast: whole wheat bread with margarine, crystal light
lunch: carrots, yogurt, pecans, grapes,
snack: Power Bar protein bar
supper: Italian wedding soup and whole wheat soda crackers, glass of milk
snack: dark chocolate, mini bag of cheezies

exercise:
10 minute walk
30 minute elliptical

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all! Hope everyone had a good day today. I smashed the daylights out of my pinky finger this evening. It''s swollen & has a big gash across it, so my check in is going to be a quickie because my pinky is throbbing! I have a ton of stuff to do tomorrow-had already planned to shut my door as soon as I got to work. It''s awfully hard to type without my pinky...

Marcy - just wanted to say sorry about your sad day yesterday. Hugs to you.

Have a great day tomorrow everybody!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. Girl’s night out was fun tonight. I ate too much and drank enough I talked a lot but we had fun. We went out and wandered around the mall afterwards.

Maevie, thank you. I will probably be a little sad for another week then I’ll be fine once I get everything finished. Glad you made it to the elliptical.

Lisa, your grilled dinner sounds great. Woo hoo for no cavities. Thanks for the encouraging words about my students.

Pinki, I hope Fred is okay. Glad you had a nice birthday. I bet the stuff from the farmer’s market will be good.

Starset Princess, sorry you had such a short night.

Dragonfly, I am sorry you and SO are having such a tough week. I hope you both start to feel better.

Bella, sounds like your eats are good.

Sharon, I wish our farmer’s market would start here. I love the fresh produce.

DeeJay, woo hoo for willpower. Have fun planting your window boxes.

Beach Runner, nice to work from home today. Thanks, it will be a tough week for me but after next week it is done and I will be fine.

Deegee, sorry to hear about your pinkie. I hope it gets better. Thanks for the hug. I needed it.

Take care.
Marcy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results