shape
carat
color
clarity

Intergem - Marlborough MA

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
So I just got their reminder post card the other day for the May 7-9 show. Any one interested in going? Most likely date for me would be Saturday the 8th but I could possibly be talked into playing hooky from work for Friday the 7th.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m free to go on Saturday or Sunday.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
For folks that have been to this type of show before, what can one expect? Are the people selling jewelry a mixed bag - some reputable, some not? I worry about going to something like this, finding a piece that looks all sparkly and pretty only to find out after purchasing that it''s a dud and not having a way to return it.

I worry that I''m just not savy enough at examining stones to tell if they are real - are there shark vendors in the mix when you go to these shows?

Thanks!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I''m sure Kismet and Allison D. can chime in here because they''re really the experts on this show, but in my experience it was a mix of both good quality and crap. But it was clear which was which. There are vendors who have huge buckets of FW pearl necklaces that they sell for literally $4 a piece and then there are vintage jewelry vendors with pieces upwards of $10k. Last time we went we had a connection that got us into the vendor side where most of the loose stone sales were made. Again, the quality levels available we''re pretty obvious.

It''s fun if nothing less. I went last year with a teeny tiny budget and came home with a few goodies. I unfortunately wasn''t at a place where I could shell out a ton on something. But I remember the other ladies picked up some great stuff.

Oh and the group of usual suspects up here in the Boston area is fantastic, they''re a great bunch of ladies and a ton of fun to hang out with!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going with a few friends, should be a good time. I''ve been hitting up gem shows for years with my father who always steered me in the right direction, so this year it will be fun to put some of my knowledge to the test on my own!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I will definitely come if I can. Byron is scheduled for surgery that week down in Virginia, but if I am back in time and D can take care of him, I''ll be there! I miss you ladies!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 7:19:04 AM
Author: waterlilly
For folks that have been to this type of show before, what can one expect? Are the people selling jewelry a mixed bag - some reputable, some not? I worry about going to something like this, finding a piece that looks all sparkly and pretty only to find out after purchasing that it''s a dud and not having a way to return it.

I worry that I''m just not savy enough at examining stones to tell if they are real - are there shark vendors in the mix when you go to these shows?

Thanks!

I''m sure there are shark vendors everywhere but I haven''t heard of anyone getting a dud. If you''re nervous about buying then pay by credit card, get the item tested and if you didn''t get what you thought then open a dispute.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 11:24:47 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I will definitely come if I can. Byron is scheduled for surgery that week down in Virginia, but if I am back in time and D can take care of him, I''ll be there! I miss you ladies!

Ooh, I hope it''s nothing too serious! Looking forward to seeing you and HH again.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is the show ever in the Midwest area? One of my friends said there''s a gem show in Sioux Falls which wouldn''t be bad, but she couldn''t remember when-she just remembered from a year or so ago, so who knows.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in for Saturday the 8Th. I have a babysitter already lined up! I am super excited!!! I know Allison is planning on going too. I am sure she will chime in.

HH - My mom is coming with me but I would love to car pool if you are up for it. She lives over near you so we can pick you up. I''ll send you an email!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, I would love to go, but I have a baby shower on the 8th. Have fun and make sure to post pics of your goodies! I am from the Springfield area but not too far if there is ever a Mass GTG!!!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2010 8:07:47 PM
Author: packrat
Is the show ever in the Midwest area? One of my friends said there''s a gem show in Sioux Falls which wouldn''t be bad, but she couldn''t remember when-she just remembered from a year or so ago, so who knows.

I''m not sure exactly where you live, but if you go to the Intergem website and click on ''Attendees'' and then ''Find a show'', it will bring up a map of the shows.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Yep - I''m in for Saturday.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Just a bump in case anyone else wants to go.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Kismet, thanks again for organizing. I''m in for Saturday the 8th! Can''t wait to see everyone. Are we doing a picnic again like last time?

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 10:02:50 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Hey Kismet, thanks again for organizing. I''m in for Saturday the 8th! Can''t wait to see everyone. Are we doing a picnic again like last time?
If anyone''s up for it, I''m happy to do a potluck picnic again.

Blinky and I are carpooling, and I think we''re planning to get there somewhere around the noon timeframe.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
YAY!
36.gif

I''m in. Aij-->
35.gif

woo

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Sure, potluck sounds good. Right now there''s only a 40% chance of rain on Saturday. I''ll probably be there around 10:30-11ish.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool. KT, her mom and I will be coming together. Not sure what time. I''ll bring a salad.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I want to go so badly and if it works out, I will, but my gut is telling me I probably can''t go. Byron is in surgery right now, so we''ll just have to see how well he recovers. Bo is having a tumor removed on Thursday, so both boys will be recovering on Saturday. If it''s not too much for D to handle on his own, I''ll try to slip out and go. If they are not doing so great, I''ll probably want to stay home. I miss you ladies and want to see you again--plus I didn''t get to go last year and was really wanting to go this year! If I don''t see you, have a great time!!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
NEL, sending very good healing vibes to your very large dogs.

Not sure what my plans are for Sat...due day is before then, but he is still cooking. I will let HH know if I am in at the last minute. Have a great day ladies!

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in!

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Picnic sounds great! Mom and I can bring Willow Tree Chicken salad sandwiches and some chips.

HH want to plan on getting there for noon? I forget how long the drive is, but I will check it out tonight and then we can figure out a meet time.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 1:49:38 PM
Author: blinkydoll
YAY!
36.gif

I''m in. Aij-->
35.gif

woo
I swear, I''m THIS close to hopping a train up there!! Hope all of you guys have lots of fun!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Swimmer, the walk could be JUST what you need to get your stubborn little man moving! Maybe we can rig up a tarp or something for you to carry and stand on on the off chance your water breaks.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 10:23:02 PM
Author: cellentani
Date: 5/3/2010 1:49:38 PM

Author: blinkydoll

YAY!
36.gif

I''m in. Aij-->
35.gif

woo
I swear, I''m THIS close to hopping a train up there!! Hope all of you guys have lots of fun!

Ooh, do it, do it!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2010 5:13:45 PM
Author: rockzilla
Count me in!

Excellent! Have you met up with anyone going so that someone knows how to find you?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t met up with anyone from MA (I was in SF and LA beforehand) so if there is a secret handshake someone needs to teach me!

Though I am 5''10" and I can wear something distinctive so that its hard to miss me =)

RZ

Also, why is my avatar picture a black box?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
RZ, I'm psyched to meet you after all this time!

ETA: I'll be the pregnant chick waddling around.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please check your email for a note from me on how to plan this get together more privately.
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results