shape
carat
color
clarity

What exactly is a "full cut" diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

love rocks

Rough_Rock
Is it an older cut? Is it similar to RB?

TIA

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A full cut has 57 or 58 facets. A single cut has 16 or 17 facets. Both are generally modern cut round diamonds, but most old cut diamonds also have the same number of facets, too.

The 1 facet variance depends if the stone has a faceted culet or a pointed culet.

love rocks

Rough_Rock
Great! Thanks for the prompt reply, oldminer!

So, do I understand you right, a full cut round looks similar to a modern cut round diamond? Or, if it has an open culet, it looks more like an older cut?

Thanks
9.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I think that 'full cut' is simply referring to the number of facets, versus 'single cut'. It has little to do with old versus new. It is an adjective phrase, as opposed to a style, such as Old European Cut, or Old Mine Cut. I do believe that the older diamond cutting styles had open culets, but that it is not as prevalent nowadays.

love rocks

Rough_Rock
I see, thanks for your help!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A round diamond that you'd put into a solitaire ring or a pair of earrings is always a full cut with 57 or 58 facets. Only tiny round diamonds are ever cut in single cut.

Modern or old really is not the issue. Full cut means 57 /58 facets.

Some Branded diamonds have more than 58 facets. They might be called full cut, but probably sellers call them by their brand name.

The size of the culet does not change the facet count. If it is faceted it is a single facet. If it is pointed, it is not a facet. Most old cut diamonds have a large culet facet. Most moder cut diamonds have a pointed or small culet.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Dave, baguettes are generally single cuts, aren't they?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A baguette has a variable number of facets. I have never seen one with even close to 57 facets. A Criss-Cut branded baguette probably has the most of any "baguette", but it barely looks like a standard baguette the way it is cut.

I would never refer to a baguette or any fancy shaped diamond as a full cut or a single cut. This is terminology only for round diamonds.

Just to muddy the waters further, a diamond with 16 less facets than a full cut, cut in a certain manner, is called a Swiss Cut. It has eight less crown facets and eight less pavilion facets. Most of these were cut from 1900 to 1975, but I suppose a few are still being made. They look very nice in small sizes up to about 3.5mm. (0.18ct). I suppose a small amount of labor is saved in cutting stones this way and they do look very nice if well cut. Also, only round shaped.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dave. That's very interesting. I thought what distinguished a baguette from an EC (other than the fact that it's usually tiny) was that it had half the facets, but it sounds like there's not standard for the number of facets in a baguette? And I promise I won't use single or full cut with anything that's not round.
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

This begs the question--how do they cut stones of sizes 5 points and under with such precision? Further, why are some very small carat weight stones cut as singles (cut); while others, full?

slb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results