shape
carat
color
clarity

Bollywood fans- recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I have always liked Bollywood movies and foreign films in general, but lately I''ve been really getting into them. My exposure has been pretty limited thus far, which is tragic because it''s such a colourful and PROLIFIC industry and I''d love to hear people''s recommendations on their favourite Bollywood movies!

They''re colourful, feature great dancing and singing, catchy tunes (I''ve had the Dhoom 2 title song stuck in my head for days), beautiful costumes, and have a very tongue-in-cheek and unabased attitude towards cheese that tickles my irony bone. There are a lot of Hollywood crossover type movies being made that are a ton of fun to watch, and I''d like to find out what other gems are out there waiting to entertain me!

Bollywood/Hollywood Was a film I saw in Canada and absolutely loved. I think it was the first full Bollywood-influenced movie I''d seen, and I just fell in in love with the exuberance of Bollywood. The musical numbers seem so unforced; why wouldn''t you sing when you''re happy?
2.gif

Love Story 2050 is available on Hulu and had me alternately giggling at the cheese, scratching my head at the sudden plot twist, and humming the songs afterwards.

Dhoom 2 is available on Netflix and I just watched it this week- holy eyecandy, batman!
23.gif
Also outrageously catchy songs, and fantastic dancing.

Anyway, just wondering if there are any Bollywood fans out there and if they have any suggestions on films that are a must-see!
9.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you liked Dhoom 2, then I have no hope for you
3.gif
11.gif
Kidding!

I don't want too many Bollywood films, but here are the ones I didn't mind in the past year or so:

- 3 Idiots
- Taaren Zameen Par
- Ghajini
- Golmaal (the 1st one)

I'll post if I think of any other.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 4:19:03 PM
Author: kama_s
If you liked Dhoom 2, then I have no hope for you
3.gif
11.gif
Kidding!

I don''t want too many Bollywood films, but here are the ones I didn''t mind in the past year or so:

- 3 Idiots

- Taaren Zameen Par

- Ghajini

- Golmaal (the 1st one)

I''ll post if I think of any other.

You didn''t find it fluffy and fun? And, uh, eye-catching ... ?
31.gif
I adore Chinese movies as well, but they always end up with one or both dead, maimed, irreconcilably parted, or otherwise heartbroken and tragic. French movies leave me wistful and full of regret, and American movies make me
20.gif

I find foreign films really refreshing, because with the exception of Chinese movies reliably ending on a depressing note, I have no idea what is going to happen because the traditions of their cinema are not the traditions I am used to in American films, and Canadian films are inevitable quirky, intellectualized, self-referential comedy, or feature some sort of dark psychological twist. Or any combination thereof! (Lars and the Real Girl, while not 100% Canadian, is rife with Canadians in it''s development credits and is a quintessentially Canadian-style movie, IMO)

It''s such a pleasure to park my cynicism at the door and enjoy talented dancers whirling around giddy with falling in love!

I will check out your recommendations, thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Galateia, I've never been big on bollywood or other foreign films but you've inspired me to start watching! You make it sound like such a romantic experience.. intrigue and mystery
1.gif

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I am actually NOT a Bollywood fan, but...one was filmed in the country I''m from so I''m partial to that one. I actually saw it and it was entertaining.

Dulha Mil Gaya

That''s all I have!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I seem to remember enjoying Bride and Prejudice (all in English).

and Monsoon Wedding was great (but not bollywood).

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2010 10:25:34 PM
Author: HopeDream

Yes, I enjoyed both, especially Monsoon Wedding which had a great soundtrack kept on my mp3 player for a long time. The costumes in it were unbelievably beautiful.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2010 10:27:00 PM
Author: Galateia
Date: 4/21/2010 10:25:34 PM

Author: HopeDream

Yes, I enjoyed both, especially Monsoon Wedding which had a great soundtrack kept on my mp3 player for a long time. The costumes in it were unbelievably beautiful.

OK I loved Monsoon Wedding! I had my hubby watch it before we went and had our ''monsoon wedding'' in India! I''m from the same part of India as them in the movie, so it kinda describes my family to a T.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve only ever seen one Bollywood movie and it was dubbed in German with French subtitles (while I was living in Switzerland). Luckily I speak french but it was an interesting experience :) I really enjoyed it despite it being WAY longer than any movie I usually would have watched.

I couldn''t remember the name but it was about cricket - I googled around and I think it was called
Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
OMG i really hate bollywood movies (i''m indian!)

however, i managed to sit through

Kuch kuch Hota Hai

Devdas (sumptuous costumes, singing and dancing back in the day)

Metro

Deepa Mehta''s 3 movies: Water, Earth and Fire (arty, not musicals)

Mira Nair''s Kama Sutra (the name should tell it''s not for the prudish!)

Try them out, they are all very different!
1.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 11:23:55 AM
Author: luckynumber
OMG i really hate bollywood movies (i''m indian!)

however, i managed to sit through

Kuch kuch Hota Hai

Devdas (sumptuous costumes, singing and dancing back in the day)

Metro

Deepa Mehta''s 3 movies: Water, Earth and Fire (arty, not musicals)

Mira Nair''s Kama Sutra (the name should tell it''s not for the prudish!)

Try them out, they are all very different!
1.gif

Kama Sutra was so heartbreaking!
39.gif
I saw it when I was in high school. Is it considered to be Bollywood? Is Bollywood just a catch-all phrase for the Indian film industry or does it refer to a specific genre, namely the singing-and-dancing at every opportunity?

I am sure that if I''d grown up with it, I''d be a lot more discerning in my tastes, but it''s all novel to me and therefore awesome! Have you seen The Buddha of Suburbia? Naveen Andrews was spectacular in it, and it was nice to see him in a role other than the one in Kama Sutra- less urge to throw popcorn at the screen.
3.gif

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i think bollywood is essentially the all-singing all-dancing bit, but don't be afraid to explore the other types of indian film!

try Mughal-e-Azam, 1950s film about a legendary slave girl who fell in love with a prince, it's been released in colour now....

more off beat films include Lekin (loosely based on a story by Rabindranath Tagore, i liked this one) and Rudaali, which is also set in Rajasthan.

ETA: also try The Namesake and Salaam Bombay and My Name is Khan, which I haven't seen but seems to be very popular. Slumdog Millionaire if you haven't seen it yet!

more typical bollywood films: Mohabbatein, Chak de India and Asoka, all with shah rukh khan in them.

even though it's not my thing, indian movies are always being played in my relatives' houses!!

that should keep you busy for a while!

come back and tell me if you liked any of them

2.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 6:11:13 PM
Author: luckynumber
i think bollywood is essentially the all-singing all-dancing bit, but don''t be afraid to explore the other types of indian film!

Definitely not! If it''s foreign, I''m all over it!
3.gif
Thanks for the other recommendations; I''ll be netflixing up a storm.

kama_s I can''t wait to see 3 idiots, it sounds fantastic!

Maevie, if you watch French films, have you seen Angel-a? If you have, what did you think of it?

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
by the by, the last french movie i really liked was Il y a longtemps que je t''aime (i''ve loved you so long)

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I just did a Netflix stream of Jodhaa Akbar, and the sets blew. my. mind. Wow. Did I mention, wow? It was like a profession of love to architecture and ornamentation. And the jewellery ... WOW.

It had a nice message, historical intrigue, and pretty people falling in love. Thumbs up!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Ya know, I''ve never seen a Bollywood movie but I think I''d like them for all the reasons you list Galateia. I''m mad for colour, singing, dancing, ornamentation etc. Basically, the tackier and cheesier the better
3.gif
I must check out a few of those!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2010 4:18:16 PM
Author: Porridge
Ya know, I''ve never seen a Bollywood movie but I think I''d like them for all the reasons you list Galateia. I''m mad for colour, singing, dancing, ornamentation etc. Basically, the tackier and cheesier the better
3.gif

Girl, you have GOT to watch a few, then! Right now I''m watching a rom-com where a handsome hapless young man has been guilt-tripped into marrying by a certain date to receive an inheritance that will save his brother from the loan shark. He speed-dates through a serious of girls, some crazier than others, including one convinced that they are the reincarnation of star-crossed lovers who died 25 years ago. He thinks she''s a nutcase, but ...

... because it''s Bollywood, cue 80''s flashback of song-and-dance number complete with horrible sweater, epic mullet, and pedo stache. I had to pause it for a breather before I sprained a rib laughing. I am really appreciating their sense of irony.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2010 4:24:51 PM
Author: Galateia
Date: 4/25/2010 4:18:16 PM

Author: Porridge

3.gif

Girl, you have GOT to watch a few, then! Right now I''m watching a rom-com where a handsome hapless young man has been guilt-tripped into marrying by a certain date to receive an inheritance that will save his brother from the loan shark. He speed-dates through a serious of girls, some crazier than others, including one convinced that they are the reincarnation of star-crossed lovers who died 25 years ago. He thinks she''s a nutcase, but ...

... because it''s Bollywood, cue 80''s flashback of song-and-dance number complete with horrible sweater, epic mullet, and pedo stache. I had to pause it for a breather before I sprained a rib laughing. I am really appreciating their sense of irony.
Bah hah hah hah. I''ll put it on my list!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Koi Mil Gaya!!!!

It is epic.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
If you like the music of Bollywood I highly recommend this album, it''s one of my favourites. The amazing Kronos Quartet recorded a tribute album in honour of R D Burhman who had scored over 300 Bollywood films. Not only does it feature Burhman''s music but also on some tracks his wife Asha Bhosle sings. She''s reputed to be the most recorded singer in the world. The Album is You''ve Stolen My Heart. I think Bhosle and the Kronos Quartet performed pieces from this album at the Carnegie Hall in NY a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results