shape
carat
color
clarity

HR Update

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I thought folks might like to know how things turned out;

I was off yesterday, and apparently she hunted down the manager who I had tipped off and found out what happened. She hauled me into her office today and chewed me a new one for bringing it up in front of others instead of bringing it straight to her (nevermind that I never see her nor know much about her, let alone her preferences for these situations) because it upset others at the meeting.
14.gif
Nevermind I didn't reveal any details, and I don't agree that it wasn't appropriate to bring up during a discussion about what causes a negative environment at our workplace.

I acknowledged that in the future, now that I know that her standpoint, I will not hesitate to bring things directly, and only, to her attention or to the HR manager. I also pointed out that I was very encouraged by her reaction, and I hope that now that those other people have seen the strength of her feelings, they too will not hesitate the next time they hear something inappropriate they will not let it slide like they normally do, they too will step forward, knowing they can come to her directly.

She also assured me that HR was notified in the case that I had reported, and a few other details (not specific to him, just about company policy and what sort of things they screen for in manager hires) that reassured me.

But! In extreme irony, I came back from break today to find the other girl who had also reported him all shocked, because he'd made racist jokes at the expense of the person who had been assigned to shadow him while he worked! The target stated he was offended, apparently, and under the offender's pressure, eventually let it go 'as a joke'. Wow. Considering the timing, wow.
23.gif
I convinced my co-worker to document the time and date, and write a note to stick under the highest manager's door, since as of this morning she confirmed that's what she wants done!

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys an update, and I appreciate the comments you all offered. I don't remember who said it, but it's true that standing idly by is the same thing as condoning the behaviour, and I wasn't willing to do that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2010 5:46:26 PM
Author:Galateia
I thought folks might like to know how things turned out;

I was off yesterday, and apparently she hunted down the manager who I had tipped off and found out what happened. She hauled me into her office today and chewed me a new one for bringing it up in front of others instead of bringing it straight to her (nevermind that I never see her nor know much about her, let alone her preferences for these situations) because it upset others at the meeting.
14.gif
Nevermind I didn''t reveal any details, and I don''t agree that it wasn''t appropriate to bring up during a discussion about what causes a negative environment at our workplace.

I acknowledged that in the future, now that I know that her standpoint, I will not hesitate to bring things directly, and only, to her attention or to the HR manager. I also pointed out that I was very encouraged by her reaction, and I hope that now that those other people have seen the strength of her feelings, they too will not hesitate the next time they hear something inappropriate they will not let it slide like they normally do, they too will step forward, knowing they can come to her directly.

She also assured me that HR was notified in the case that I had reported, and a few other details (not specific to him, just about company policy and what sort of things they screen for in manager hires) that reassured me.

But! In extreme irony, I came back from break today to find the other girl who had also reported him all shocked, because he''d made racist jokes at the expense of the person who had been assigned to shadow him while he worked! The target stated he was offended, apparently, and under the offender''s pressure, eventually let it go ''as a joke''. Wow. Considering the timing, wow.
23.gif
I convinced my co-worker to document the time and date, and write a note to stick under the highest manager''s door, since as of this morning she confirmed that''s what she wants done!

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys an update, and I appreciate the comments you all offered. I don''t remember who said it, but it''s true that standing idly by is the same thing as condoning the behaviour, and I wasn''t willing to do that.

Good going Galateia!!!
Taking action when it comes to offensive behavior like this is a sure way to end it for good one day hopefully!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are amazingly courageous and sensitive. It is not very easy to be in a situation like yours. I wish you good luck and think we all should be proud of you!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for taking action! you are very brave and a wonderful person :)
Thanks for the update

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why isn''t there a thumbs up emotie?!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I knew you''d do it. For the record, I would have done the same thing.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent Galateia.

You have done a really good thing and one that will hopefully encourage others to do should these unfortunate incidents occur again.

Its reassuring to have a responsible manager and HR team working together, long may it continue.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I admit I''m a little apprehensive about what''s going to happen when she arrives tomorrow morning and finds that note under her door; I am glad that I convinced my coworker to document his ongoing shenanigans, though.

Yesterday, a male coworker was making sexist remarks and stereotyping women, and I am proud to say that I whipped around in my chair, called him on his statements being sexist, and gave him a death glare as I said "That is NOT an appropriate conversation to have at work" and stopped him right in his tracks. Several women in earshot who I thought had not heard his comments immediately piped up to agree with me, which surprised me. Maybe there is hope after all!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2010 8:44:14 AM
Author: Galateia
Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I admit I''m a little apprehensive about what''s going to happen when she arrives tomorrow morning and finds that note under her door; I am glad that I convinced my coworker to document his ongoing shenanigans, though.

Yesterday, a male coworker was making sexist remarks and stereotyping women, and I am proud to say that I whipped around in my chair, called him on his statements being sexist, and gave him a death glare as I said ''That is NOT an appropriate conversation to have at work'' and stopped him right in his tracks. Several women in earshot who I thought had not heard his comments immediately piped up to agree with me, which surprised me. Maybe there is hope after all!

There is definitely hope because of people like you who will not stand idly by and let these egregious acts occur. Thank you for taking a stand. If everyone could take action and not sit idly by prejudices against all groups could one day be a thing of the past. Being tolerant of bad behavior is being part of the problem. Thanks Galateia!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 8:49:10 AM
Author: missy
Date: 4/4/2010 8:44:14 AM

Author: Galateia

Yesterday, a male coworker was making sexist remarks and stereotyping women, and I am proud to say that I whipped around in my chair, called him on his statements being sexist, and gave him a death glare as I said ''That is NOT an appropriate conversation to have at work'' and stopped him right in his tracks. Several women in earshot who I thought had not heard his comments immediately piped up to agree with me, which surprised me. Maybe there is hope after all!

There is definitely hope because of people like you who will not stand idly by and let these egregious acts occur. Thank you for taking a stand. If everyone could take action and not sit idly by prejudices against all groups could one day be a thing of the past. Being tolerant of bad behavior is being part of the problem. Thanks Galateia!!

Ditto missy! That''s awesome, Gala. I bet everyone else was just too afraid to step up and say something.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results