shape
carat
color
clarity

in need of cheap fabric or curtains

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the process of moving into a new apartment, and need new curtains pretty quickly. The apartment is in NY and people can see directly into our den and bedroom....so I need these ASAP! When we signed the lease, I did not realize the height of the ceilings..I under estimated by about 2 or 3 feet. I thought we would be able to pick up something a pottery barn or restoration hardware, but they only sell curtains that are 120" long and we need at least 150 to touch the floor from the top of the window. I have to cover 6 windows that are all this size, so it will be a ton of fabric. I would love to find somebody who sells custom drapes (or drapes this length), but if not its OK because I have somebody lined up who can make them.

I need to find CHEAP fabric-I want nice curtains but this is just an apartment that we are renting for a few years.

Any suggestions for cheap fabric, and lots of it? I am really looking for something that resembles dupioni silk or possibly a velvet.

Our floors are very dark wood, the walls are white, and this is our rug: http://www.madelineweinrib.com/ama/tibetan/Keri-Watermelon.html

Since there is so much fabric, and the rug is already sort of loud, I think the curtains need to be either a solid or a print that kind of blends.

What do you think?

Thanks!!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
If there are any Indian shops near you, look for some shari fabric. Some are very inexpensive (be careful - some are not!) and they come in gorgeous jewel colours. I've done that for apartment curtains and they were lovely.

Alternatively, Ikea sell very cheap curtains and fabric by the yard. They look nice and they're usually lined, so totally private. They also sell some that let daylight through so you can close them for privacy during the day.

ETA the Ikea ones are LONG! We live in a Victorian house with very high ceilings and the Ikea curtains are the only ready-made ones that are any use. They come with a hemming strip, so you cut them and hem them with an iron at the length you need.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
When you said how long they needed to be I immediately thought of Ikea. They sell some curtains that are really long and unfinished on the bottom so you can hem them to the desired length. I *think* they would be long enough but I never measured them so I can''t be sure. And they have some interesting prints and solids. I''ve found silk dupioni on ebay for about $8/yard... not sure if thats still too expensive for you or not. Other than those options, I''d just go to a fabric store like Joann''s since they often have coupons and half off sales and stuff. Another thought... can you just mount the curtains lower so that theres a small part at the top of the window that shows? I''ve seen something like that done before so you get some extra sunlight but no one can see in since its so high up. That way you could use the 120" curtains instead of going the custom route.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Something my mom used to do for cheap fabric, buy sheets! You can get a cheap set of sheats for way less than most places would charge you for the fabric by the yard, and 180 thread count works just fine for curtains.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Cocolaw,

When I lived in NYC, I had the same issue.
2.gif
I wound up finding a fabric store in Queens, with Queens pricing and purchased A TON. The shop looked like the hole-in-the-wall which you would expect from a basic fabric shop, but the pricing and selection was pretty decent... I want to say it was 2 short blocks East of the subway station on the North side of the street on the main drag of Astoria Blvd.?

Anyhow, my vote would be to check an outer borrough; if you go to Astoria, be sure to have some awesome Greek food while out there.
18.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
I lived in a temp apt between houses that had HUGE windows across the entire front AND back. I got curtains at Ikea for CHEAP. For the living room, I bought the ones that are like $30 for two panels and come in jewel tones- orange, teal, purple, etc. The colors change with season I think. I had to buy four panels to cover the darn windows, but at least it wasn't expensive. For the back, where I just wanted something neutral, I got the unbleached cotton tab top panels. They were like $15 for two panels.

I've done the sheet thing before too, but that involved sewing and even with iron on hem tape, it was still uneven and a complete pain in the neck.

If you've got an Ikea near you, I'd head over that way. But wait until like 30 mins before they close so you dont have to fight the people!

ETA: the colored curtains I bought from Ikea almost looked like raw silk in terms of the fabric. They were really lovely actually. They don't work in my current home, which actually kind of makes me sad.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Do you need curtain rods as well or are they already in place? We used metal conduit. DH is an electrician, so we had scrap around, but you could do the same with black pvc or similar. Less expensive solution than traditional curtain rods.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I got mine from IKEA - I have floor to ceiling windows and the room height is well over 3 metres and they were so long I had to take them up.

eBay also has loads of curtains and curtain fabric.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
You could get the Ikea ones and ''spice'' them up by adding a few feet of something colorful to the bottom?

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve purchased a lot of curtains from IKEA. Super inexpensive especially for how long they are. I added some trim to them to jazz them up a bit.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Been there...The custom route was WAY too expensive...so I cheated....

Find the ones you want and get another set in say in another color or you can alter to texture or brocade, even a damask texture...attach the textured part at the bottom, top or banded within the middle to cheat the length. You want the other color to be at least 1/4 to 1/3 of your total length.

Here are some examples of what I am trying to convey...they may not be the right style or color, but a photo helps more than words.

Mr. Stripey

Banded Bottom

Banded insert options

Topper attachment look

You can buy them and run them to a alterations shop...for about $20. a panel they will attach where you want them. My dry cleaners will also do light sewing for cheap. If you find the ones you really want...just get them sewn together. (I have also used the no stitch witchery stuff...so it can be done. Good Luck!

EDITED: I didn't get to finish my thoughts...if you can't find the material you want...just get cheaper drapes and add them together as I explained above. I know you have a seamstress at your ready...but her price and lining, and material...just may be close to some quasi silk look you can find at say Penny's. They have buy one get one for a penny type sale... and since the seasons are changing your velvet ALL ready made drapes may be clearanced just waiting for you! They won't have your length in ready made, but you can add them together, as I did for way under what my original quote was.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Drats...I was just thinking you could attach a valance on your 120" curtains...but you need at least 30 extra inches huh?

Cafe Curtains would get you 30 inches. Drats...thought I have an eureka for you.

15.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could always buy scarf panels (as they do have them up to 216") I've purchased my Ombre (Autumn) color from this site a number of times I love my mine (but of course I use it as a scarf) anyways, I know you'll need an extra 6" or so if you get the 144" if you run it lengthwise, but you could attach some solid color trimmings or something else to the bottom or top(faux valance maybe?).

http://www.swagsgalore.com/ombre.html

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!! Ikea is a great idea! I could not find the fabric on the website, and was prepared to drive to the store, but I spoke with a friend and she gave me the best advice! Canvas Drop Cloths!!!! I went to home depot and sure enough, I got a 4'' x 15'' drop cloth for $13. They look great-they look like a heavy linen and they come finished on all sides. So I will hang a curtain rod and buy the rings that have little clips at the end, and there we go! No sewing necessary!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will post pics when I have finished this little project :). Thanks for all of the help!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
another vote for Ikea:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results