shape
carat
color
clarity

How to get over bad days at work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Person24

Shiny_Rock
Today I was handed anvassignments on an issues I have never seen before. Thus, had to educate myself on the topic before I could really complete the problem. It made me feel really bad because it took me FOREVER to to finish and I am not even 100% I did the project correctly. When I got home from work all I could think about was how horrible my day was, how awful my performance was and that I felt like I shouldn''t have even been paid for today. My husband just tells me to chill out and stop beating myself up, but for some reason when ever I feel like i didn''t do a work assignment up to par I obsess about it. I wonder if I should have done something else, more, different etc. . .
33.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Just remember that you can always ask someone for help and clarification. Everyone has bad days at work. I''ve had so many jobs where I left in tears because I messed something up, but it just motivated me to go back in the next day and chalk it up to a learning experience.

No one can learn without making mistakes. Just remember that you are there for a reason, you were hired because you are capable of doing the work, and tomorrow is another day to learn and improve.

So what happened today is over, and there is no changing it now. Just take it as motivation for a better day tomorrow!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
try to focus on all the great things you''ve done at work recently and all the times that you succeded - and do something you enjoy this weekend!

Person24

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess it just makes it harder then with a usual job because I only work a few days a week. So when I do something wrong or feel like I do something wrong I long stretch of time goes by before I can make up for it. We will see! :)

Thanks though. I am happy to have PS to come to. You guys always make me feel better! Sometimes I feel like a fair weather friend. haha:)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
All anyone can do is ask you to try your best. It sounds like you did that by researching the topic you were working on before solving the problem. Maybe you could revisit it on Monday after having had the weekend to clear your head a bit.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
P24, if I remember correctly, you''re going in the same business I am, and I''m assuming this is a part-time job you''ve taken on during the semester. If that''s true, then DON''T WORRY ABOUT IT!!! Research is part of the profession and in fact is required under our code of ethics if you don''t have a background in the kind of work you''re being asked to do. Unless you''ve done a dozen similar projects and still need to look up the basics, don''t ever feel bad about needing to spend time on research. And now that you''ve done all the research once, you''ll have it at your fingertips the next time you see these issues, and will only need to do a smaller amount of supplemental research on any new or different facts. That''s how you learn in real practice -- it''s not all digested down into textbooks and outlines.

I hope your employer didn''t make you feel bad. You''re doing a valuable service for them, and I''m sure they much prefer you to do the necessary research and get the project right (or mostly right) the first time, than to do a half*$$ job at learning the background info and have to do the entire thing over again. That would be a waste of time, and could potentially get your and/or your employer into a lot of trouble. Getting things wrong in our profession can have some pretty bad consequences, so getting it right is more important than doing it quickly. I hope they give you constructive feedback, too, because that''s the most valuable thing about internships/clerkships.

Hang in there, I''m sure you''re doing a great job.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results