shape
carat
color
clarity

Color in Round Brillant Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Butterstick

Rough_Rock
Hi. I was wondering if we can get some guidance and opinions. We are looking at getting a 1-1.2 carat round brilliant diamond with VS2 clarity, We were originally looking at a G color diamonds, but then started maybe thinking we could go with an H and get a slightly bigger stone. Is the H color diamond going to look yellow at all to the naked eye in any kind of light, or will we see no difference with the naked eye between a G and H color?
Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
depends when you start seeing colour. H is a sweet spot for many people - but many others prefer higher (and lower!).

go to a local jeweller who has gia or ags rbs of around 1ct and play for a while. Look from various angles, in various lights, consider if your setting will expose the pavilion or not... have fun
1.gif

suzannea

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I can start to see yellow in an H color. If it was me I would keep the color and clarity- you are choosing a very nice balance with G VS - that you won;t regret in the future. Good luck- and just my opinion.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to see diamonds in person to decide your own preferences.

But I do think that many believe that H color is the "swing spot" where some H color stones will show tint sometimes in some lighting. We are talkng a ver usubtle gradation in tint, though, between a G and an H. A lot would depend on the particular diamond as there is nuance in color grading beyond the actual color grade given.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto, everyone''s color sensitivity and preference is different. Make the stone is a well cut AGS/GIA stone, badly cut stone will show more color than a well cut stone even if they are the same color grade from the same lab.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
You really have to look yourself - everyone has a different ability to see colour and tolerance of colour - I have J earrings and I adore them.

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 8:24:00 PM
Author:Butterstick
Hi. I was wondering if we can get some guidance and opinions. We are looking at getting a 1-1.2 carat round brilliant diamond with VS2 clarity, We were originally looking at a G color diamonds, but then started maybe thinking we could go with an H and get a slightly bigger stone. Is the H color diamond going to look yellow at all to the naked eye in any kind of light, or will we see no difference with the naked eye between a G and H color?

Thanks!
If there was no difference between a G and a H, they would be graded the same color. Some people are not very color sensitive. You may not see a difference but people around you may see some yellow. It also could depend on the lighting the stone is viewed in. You should go out and view stones in each color together under various lighting to see for yourself. Try to view them outside in sunlight and shade and in regular lighting away from the jewelry store''s spot lights.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you can go to an SI to save some money versus dropping to a H.

lucky_D

Rough_Rock
from my experience, dropping out of the VS range was very obvious to me, I have very good near sight. I have an H and actually prefer it from colorless stones. I can''t see the color, except in given back drops, but I like it. I even have seen some Ks that seem white to me. I think as long and you don''t compromise in both color and clarity, you should be good. See it in person though, I think diamonds can be rather subjective. Its always personal choice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2010 11:20:27 PM
Author: Firestone

Date: 3/19/2010 8:24:00 PM
Author:Butterstick

Thanks!
Reliably graded G and H colour will not be yellow, you might get a rare person notice a touch of warmth in an H colour but definitely not yellow.

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
Both G and H colors have a tint of yellow. Obviously H has more of a tint of yellow than G. Setting the stone in WG or platinum will increase the tint of yellow. Yellow gold makes a stone look whiter. If you plan on mounting the stone in WG or platinum, G is preferable. It would be good for you to view mounted stones in both colors to see the effect of the mounting on the color. G seems to be a very common color.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 1:12:43 PM
Both G and H colors have a tint of yellow. Obviously H has more of a tint of yellow than G. Setting the stone in WG or platinum will increase the tint of yellow. Yellow gold makes a stone look whiter. If you plan on mounting the stone in WG or platinum, G is preferable. It would be good for you to view mounted stones in both colors to see the effect of the mounting on the color. G seems to be a very common color.
In your opinion. To many buyers G and H are perfectly white, it is a matter of individual colour perception and preference.

You might find this video useful.

http://vimeo.com/3288695

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 1:16:57 PM
Author: Lorelei

In your opinion. To many buyers G and H are perfectly white, it is a matter of individual colour perception and preference.

No it is not my opinion. Factually G and H colors have a tint of yellow in them. That is a industry known fact. Whether an individual buyer see the tint of yellow doesn''t change the fact that there is a tint of yellow. Are you rewriting the color chart?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 1:29:47 PM

No it is not my opinion. Factually G and H colors have a tint of yellow in them. That is a industry known fact. Whether an individual buyer see the tint of yellow doesn't change the fact that there is a tint of yellow. Are you rewriting the color chart?
To me G and H colour are in no way yellow, this is my opinion. It is true that very slight tints of yellow if you want to call it that are present in minute amounts in these grades, however I don't see it or any warmth - and even then it is very slight - until J or K colour. Therefore it is my opinion that G and H are not yellow. A person with very blonde hair can have minute amounts of black in it, however it is not something I would generally notice, nor anyone else for that matter, the hair would still be blonde to the vast majority even if it contained a tiny amount of black. A diamond of G or H colour will to many still look perfectly white even with tiny amounts of yellow.

When you say G and H colours have a tint of yellow, you are scaring consumers that don't know any better that they have a rotten quality stone which is yellow and ugly. This is not the case in the vast majority of circumstances and again this can cause unfounded worry. This can also scare them off even buying a G or H colour stone that they could be perfectly happy with because of your advice, making them spend more money than they need to. This is why it is important to explain that your views are your opinion.

And no I am not rewriting the diamond colour chart.
2.gif

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 1:46:17 PM

No it is not my opinion. Factually G and H colors have a tint of yellow in them. That is a industry known fact. Whether an individual buyer see the tint of yellow doesn''t change the fact that there is a tint of yellow. Are you rewriting the color chart?

To me G and H colour are in no way yellow, this is my opinion. It is true that very slight tints of yellow if you want to call it that are present in minute amounts in these grades, however I don''t see it or any warmth - and even then it is very slight - until J or K colour. Therefore it is my opinion that G and H are not yellow.

When you say G and H colours have a tint of yellow, you are scaring consumers that don''t know any better that they have a rotten quality stone which is yellow and ugly. This is not the case in the vast majority of circumstances and again this can cause unfounded worry. This is why it is important to explain that your views are your opinion.

2.gif

"It is true that very slight tints of yellow if you want to call it that are present in minute amounts in these grades, however I don''t see it or any warmth - and even then it is very slight - until J or K colour. Therefore it is my opinion that G and H are not yellow. "

So you admit that G and H have tints of yellow. That is exactly what I said. They have tints of yellow. And the phrase "tints of yellow" is the industry accepted phrase for that near colorless color grade. And I used the industry accepted phrase yet you have a problem with me using the actual industry accepted phrase.

What you see is irrelevant. Factually G and H have tints of yellow. I''m not scaring anyone. I used the correct industry term. And once again I will repeat, it is not my opinion. G and H have tints of yellow regardless if an individual sees the tint or not. Just because you may not see a tint of yellow in G and H stones you are claiming that they have no yellow. That is factually not true and that is not giving sound advice. If they had no tints of yellow they would be called colorless and they are not called colorless. Why would you want to mislead people that G and H colors have no tint of yellow when you admit that they do?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Although yellow is the most common color that diamond rough shows, diamonds can also show brown, or grey when they show color. I think it is overly simplified to talk about "yellow" when talking about diamonds in the near colorless range. The actual appearance of the diamonds is much more nuanced in my experience.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 1:56:01 PM

To me G and H colour are in no way yellow, this is my opinion. It is true that very slight tints of yellow if you want to call it that are present in minute amounts in these grades, however I don''t see it or any warmth - and even then it is very slight - until J or K colour. Therefore it is my opinion that G and H are not yellow.

When you say G and H colours have a tint of yellow, you are scaring consumers that don''t know any better that they have a rotten quality stone which is yellow and ugly. This is not the case in the vast majority of circumstances and again this can cause unfounded worry. This is why it is important to explain that your views are your opinion.

2.gif

''It is true that very slight tints of yellow if you want to call it that are present in minute amounts in these grades, however I don''t see it or any warmth - and even then it is very slight - until J or K colour. Therefore it is my opinion that G and H are not yellow. ''

So you admit that G and H have tints of yellow. That is exactly what I said. They have tints of yellow. And the phrase ''tints of yellow'' is the industry accepted phrase for that near colorless color grade. And I used the industry accepted phrase yet you have a problem with me using the actual industry accepted phrase.

What you see is irrelevant. Factually G and H have tints of yellow. I''m not scaring anyone. I used the correct industry term. And once again I will repeat, it is not my opinion. G and H have tints of yellow regardless if an individual sees the tint or not. Just because you may not see a tint of yellow in G and H stones you are claiming that they have no yellow. That is factually not true and that is not giving sound advice. If they had no tints of yellow they would be called colorless and they are not called colorless. Why would you want to mislead people that G and H colors have no tint of yellow when you admit that they do?
Once again, for the purpose of advising consumers - and please believe me when I tell you I have been here for a long time and have seen how these statements can cause concern, when you state '' G and H have tints of yellow'', consumers which are unfamiliar with diamonds can take this literally and be concerned that these grades will look distinctly yellow. And as much as you might want to say to the contrary, you know exactly what I am getting at.

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 2:04:00 PM
Date: 3/20/2010 1:56:01 PM

2.gif

''It is true that very slight tints of yellow if you want to call it that are present in minute amounts in these grades, however I don''t see it or any warmth - and even then it is very slight - until J or K colour. Therefore it is my opinion that G and H are not yellow. ''

So you admit that G and H have tints of yellow. That is exactly what I said. They have tints of yellow. And the phrase ''tints of yellow'' is the industry accepted phrase for that near colorless color grade. And I used the industry accepted phrase yet you have a problem with me using the actual industry accepted phrase.

Once again, for the purpose of advising consumers - and please believe me when I tell you I have been here for a long time and have seen how these statements can cause concern, when you state '' G and H have tints of yellow'', consumers which are unfamiliar with diamonds can take this literally and be concerned that these grades will look distinctly yellow. And as much as you might want to say to the contrary, you know exactly what I am getting at.

Literally, they do have tints of yellow. I do understand that some people may not properly understand the phrase "tints of yellow" but I don''t think it is honest to say that they have no yellow like you did. If I was trying to say a stone looked yellow I would have said that. I do understand what you are getting at but by the same token people have to read carefully. Saying a stone has a tint of yellow and is near colorless is not saying that it will look distinctly yellow.

The original poster was well aware that G and H have some yellow in them and asked if the yellow in H would be more noticeable than the yellow in G. My using the industry phrase "tint of yellow" is not scaring this poster as the poster stated she knows there is some yellow in those color grades.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 2:24:28 PM

Literally, they do have tints of yellow. I do understand that some people may not properly understand the phrase 'tints of yellow' but I don't think it is honest to say that they have no yellow like you did. If I was trying to say a stone looked yellow I would have said that. I do understand what you are getting at but by the same token people have to read carefully. Saying a stone has a tint of yellow and is near colorless is not saying that it will look distinctly yellow.

The original poster was well aware that G and H have some yellow in them and asked if the yellow in H would be more noticeable than the yellow in G. My using the industry phrase 'tint of yellow' is not scaring this poster as the poster stated she knows there is some yellow in those color grades.
I did not state that a stone has no yellow, I said ' reliably graded G or H colour will not be yellow.' Our rather ironically named OP Butterstick
41.gif
asked for guidance and opinions, had apparently viewed G colour and were happy enough with what they saw ( which I assume was no yellow) to consider a colour grade lower. They asked if one grade lower, H, would look yellow at all to the naked eye in any lighting condition. By telling them that G and H colour have a tint of yellow, it is entirely possible the OP could misunderstand and assume that H colour will look yellow.

This isn't about a few yellow molecules in a stone but the physical appearance of the H colour in question.

I also have to think of the other posters that are reading now and will in the future. Believe you me, we have to spend much time trying to reduce buyer's fears because of potentially misleading statements from past threads.

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 2:38:40 PM

Literally, they do have tints of yellow. I do understand that some people may not properly understand the phrase ''tints of yellow'' but I don''t think it is honest to say that they have no yellow like you did. If I was trying to say a stone looked yellow I would have said that. I do understand what you are getting at but by the same token people have to read carefully. Saying a stone has a tint of yellow and is near colorless is not saying that it will look distinctly yellow.

The original poster was well aware that G and H have some yellow in them and asked if the yellow in H would be more noticeable than the yellow in G. My using the industry phrase ''tint of yellow'' is not scaring this poster as the poster stated she knows there is some yellow in those color grades.

I did not state that a stone has no yellow, I said '' reliably graded G or H colour will not be yellow.'' Our rather ironically named OP Butterstick
41.gif
asked for guidance and opinions, had apparently viewed G colour and were happy enough with what they saw ( which I assume was no yellow) to consider a colour grade lower. They asked if one grade lower, H, would look yellow at all to the naked eye in any lighting condition. By telling them that G and H colour have a tint of yellow, it is entirely possible the OP could misunderstand and assume that H colour will look yellow.

This isn''t about a few yellow molecules in a stone but the physical appearance of the H colour in question.

I also have to think of the other posters that are reading now and will in the future. Believe you me, we have to spend much time trying to reduce buyer''s fears because of potentially misleading statements from past threads.

I don''t agree with you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 2:53:11 PM

Date: 3/20/2010 2:38:40 PM

Literally, they do have tints of yellow. I do understand that some people may not properly understand the phrase ''tints of yellow'' but I don''t think it is honest to say that they have no yellow like you did. If I was trying to say a stone looked yellow I would have said that. I do understand what you are getting at but by the same token people have to read carefully. Saying a stone has a tint of yellow and is near colorless is not saying that it will look distinctly yellow.

The original poster was well aware that G and H have some yellow in them and asked if the yellow in H would be more noticeable than the yellow in G. My using the industry phrase ''tint of yellow'' is not scaring this poster as the poster stated she knows there is some yellow in those color grades.

I did not state that a stone has no yellow, I said '' reliably graded G or H colour will not be yellow.'' Our rather ironically named OP Butterstick
41.gif

This isn''t about a few yellow molecules in a stone but the physical appearance of the H colour in question.

I also have to think of the other posters that are reading now and will in the future. Believe you me, we have to spend much time trying to reduce buyer''s fears because of potentially misleading statements from past threads.

I don''t agree with you.
And I don''t agree with you either. I think we should end this here in order to avoid derailing another thread.

Butterstick

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the good discussion! I''m leaning to staying with a G.. although we''re going to look at some stones a little later today, so that may change.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 3:15:42 PM
Author: Butterstick
Thanks everyone for the good discussion! I''m leaning to staying with a G.. although we''re going to look at some stones a little later today, so that may change.
With color, it is *always* best to let your eyes guide you. Let us know how it turns out!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 3:15:42 PM
Author: Butterstick
You are welcome!

Please report back and let us know how you get on!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results