shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrading from 1.7 to 2.35 or setting in halo?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kswanson

Rough_Rock
My wife LOVES her ring. I have never seen a woman look at her ring so often. That is why for me its worth every penny to make her ring perfection. In the past she mentioned wanting something bigger than 2 carats. She also mentioned wanting a Halo setting on her current diamond.
I am looking at either upgrading to:

A) 2.35 ct stone, same specs as her current one (VS1, H, Ideal cut). This would cost me $7,000 (the current 1.7 would have to be traded in, of course). Set on her current setting. The option of ever getting a Halo would be voided, since that would be ridiculous on her tiny 4.5 finger.

B) Setting the stone in a halo setting. I know she saw a couple of ritani settings she liked, I am estimating that to cost me around $6,000 with the matching wedding band.

C) Getting a 1.98 ct stone, same specs for $4000. Then later have it set in one of the ritani set she likes.

D) Any other suggestions you experts could give me!

kswanson

Rough_Rock
Sorry, current ring

144903.JPG

kswanson

Rough_Rock
another

144902.JPG

kswanson

Rough_Rock
Last of current ring

3931552.jpg

kswanson

Rough_Rock
what she used to have. Ring from kirk kara, had to get rid of because the platinum kept bending with her fingers.

3931553.jpg

kswanson

Rough_Rock
Last one, sorry. I just want you guys to see what she likes. This is what the full set looked like. We traded it before the wedding because just from trying it on, they were bending out weird. Surprisingly, the old set was $5000 less that what she has now, I know she regrets the change a little because she used to get so many complements and I think he current ring is not as attention getting as the one before.

3931554.jpg

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
You''re such a sweet hubby!!! I would choose the 2.35 stone without a doubt!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends on the cut.

kswanson

Rough_Rock
All of the above would be round. She really likes how much more sparkle the round gives. Also, I prefer bezel set over prong set Halos.

I think she would like this:

http://www.ritani.com/products/view/1000/in_collection/8

or this:

http://www.ritani.com/products/view/1103/in_collection/8

Lola0918

Rough_Rock
I think her rings are beautiful and delicate. Throw on a 2.3 center stone and BAM! But I''m a halo fanatic, however, prong set not bezel. I think the beauty of the stone is lost in the bezel. I did love her 1st ring as well. Sorry I''m not much help but to me, they are all beautiful and your wife is a very lucky girl!
Cheers!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that she got attention for her old setting because it was a halo, which is eye catching and attractive. I think that you should halo her current diamond because it would probably be a style she likes more and would attract more attention.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
What is her preference?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I vote halo!!! It will look bigger and also have a more blingtastic effect!

(You listening Dreamer?
31.gif
) Totally kidding! But I think a halo around a 1.7 would be INCREDIBLE!

I think the bezel/prong set halo debate is interesting. Personally, when I had mine designed I asked for the cleanest look possible while making the center stone pop. I didn't want the halo to look like a bunch of blurry small stones. I wanted it to be clear that there was one large stone surrounded by bling... That's how they designed it based on the Legacy. If the stone is on the smaller side, I would not bezel it. But 1.7 is very BIG and will benefit (IMHO) from a bezel. It will set it off so that it will pop, look bigger and stand out from the surrounding bling circus!
30.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would halo the current stone. Halos just seem to get lots of compliments and attention because they are flashy.

kswanson

Rough_Rock
Yes, I think I will get her the halo. I am also considering getting her the 1.97 ct. for our one year and the ritani band for our 2 year as an anniversary band, then the halo, finally for our 3rd year. Its so hard to buy her presents she loves, I want to milk this one, or would that be taking it to far?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 11:48:02 PM
Author: kswanson
Yes, I think I will get her the halo. I am also considering getting her the 1.97 ct. for our one year and the ritani band for our 2 year as an anniversary band, then the halo, finally for our 3rd year. Its so hard to buy her presents she loves, I want to milk this one, or would that be taking it to far?
LOL. WHat do you think she really wants? did she love and adore her first ring?

I think that the difference in size between a 1.97 and a 1.7ct would be quite negligible when the diamond is haloed. That''s why I think if you plan to do a halo you should not bother with the bigger rock.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Would she rather be surprised or do you think she might like to choose which way to go? I''m only asking because my hubby would be deathly afraid of making a decision like this one without seeing which one I''d prefer. Diamond fanatics can tend to be a weee bit particular about their sparklies
3.gif

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve searched many a thread and a halo is the all mighty equalizer. While I LOVE a halo (I''m having one made) I vote for the honker 2.35. The 1.98 with the halo is not worth it in my eyes.

So I vote honker #1
halo current diamond #2

jan can

Shiny_Rock
If you find your wife loving her present ring, a larger stone would only make her happier. Perhaps the attention on her first stone came because she was newly engaged. You might want to save that style for your 5th anniversary.

You could do some hinting and ask if she misses the old ring and maybe someday she''d like to change back.

You''re very sweet.

kswanson

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for all your input. Do you guys really think that the 1.97 wouldn''t be different than the 1.7? I don''t know. I was leaning towards that because I felt like 1.97 might as well be 2 ct and that way I would be giving her both the things she wants.

I want to surprise her on this one. She chose the first two and was happy, but feels like the reason she changes her mind is because she picked it, not me. I hinted getting a bigger diamond and she just told me that it was best left alone instead of changing her mind all the time. I know she loves her current ring, she has never complained. I just feel like I shouldn''t have popped the question outside of tiffany''s and just gotten her what I thought she loved. And no, neither ring is from tiffany''s, contrary to what I thought, she loves tiffany''s silver, but spent a month doing research before choosing something and determined the tiffany''s name was not worth the price.

I am pretty much just trying to undo my initial laziness.

kswanson

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for all your input. Do you guys really think that the 1.97 wouldn''t be different than the 1.7? I don''t know. I was leaning towards that because I felt like 1.97 might as well be 2 ct and that way I would be giving her both the things she wants.

I want to surprise her on this one. She chose the first two and was happy, but feels like the reason she changes her mind is because she picked it, not me. I hinted getting a bigger diamond and she just told me that it was best left alone instead of changing her mind all the time. I know she loves her current ring, she has never complained. I just feel like I shouldn''t have popped the question outside of tiffany''s and just gotten her what I thought she loved. And no, neither ring is from tiffany''s, contrary to what I thought, she loves tiffany''s silver, but spent a month doing research before choosing something and determined the tiffany''s name was not worth the price.

I am pretty much just trying to undo my initial laziness.

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 5:50:00 PM
Author:kswanson
The option of ever getting a Halo would be voided, since that would be ridiculous on her tiny 4.5 finger.

Depends on what your definition of "ridiculous" is. For me, it would be "ridiculously awesome."
28.gif

At any rate, I''d go for the bigger stone. I don''t think there''d be enough difference between the 1.7 and the 1.9 to warrant the $$. Set it in her current setting and then later on down the line she can halo if she wants to.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I vote honker!

kswanson

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I think I am going to halo her current diamond, in case she would want to keep the diamond we got married with. I think if I want to surprise her, I have to go a safer route. What would you recommend setting on her current setting? A small diamond or a some different gem stone?

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the bigger diamond! I love her current setting. I think that halos make the "ring" look bigger, but not necessarily the diamond. In some cases I think they make the actual diamond look smaller. I think a 2+ carat diamond will get plenty of attention, and will speak for itself :) I think this is really a personal preference type of question, so I would encourage you to find out what she wants
36.gif

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Whoops! I just saw that you had made your decision after I posted. I would probably get an entirely new setting, and then you can use her old setting for a colored stone. What is her birthstone?

kswanson

Rough_Rock
Her birthstone is peridot, but I know she HATES it. I appreciate what you said about the bigger stone. I talked to my jeweler and he will allow me to give her the semi-mount. That way I surprise her, but nothing is permanent. I just read a lot of comments, people saying they would never part from their original diamond, I don''t want to do anything so permanent.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2010 8:20:58 PM
Her birthstone is peridot, but I know she HATES it. I appreciate what you said about the bigger stone. I talked to my jeweler and he will allow me to give her the semi-mount. That way I surprise her, but nothing is permanent. I just read a lot of comments, people saying they would never part from their original diamond, I don''t want to do anything so permanent.
But does she feel this way? I don''t care about my original diamond.

And does she still pine for a halo?

Or does she just want a big ol'' diamond?

kswanson

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2010 8:26:30 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Date: 3/16/2010 8:20:58 PM

But does she feel this way? I don''t care about my original diamond.

And does she still pine for a halo?

Or does she just want a big ol'' diamond?

Wow, I am completely lost again. Yeah, I don''t think she would care. Now I am wondering if I should let her in on this, just get her something.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
What about getting a cute little ring box, and when she opens it, there is a check inside instead of a ring? Still a wonderful surprise, but then you two could embark on the search and decision together? It is a little less personal, but still surprising and thoughtful. That is what I want my husband to do when/if I get an upgrade because I couldn''t stand to not be a part of the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results