shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Dress special undergarments?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Okay girls.

I''m probably going to be the exception here.

I''m leaning against any special structural support on the day, but I don''t really know what to do.

Help me BWW-won-kenobi, you''re my mainly-hope.

So here''s the deal. My dress is a backless halter, A-line, fit & flare. A am not a big girl upstairs--not totally flat, but I can (and do) totally get away with no bra in halter dresses for most of the summer, and given my druthers I''d like to do that in my wedding dress to.

The issue is the petticoat. The dress looks pretty nice with the "patented" (of course it would be, wouldn''t it) David''s Bridal 500 mermaid/trumpet/fit & flair bridal slip. It looks pretty darn good with the dress and has that high waisted zip up dealie which doubles as a waist slimmer at the same time....BUT has a waist line that can be seen through the dress--which therefore mandates that you wear a bustier to hide it.
Which I don''t really want to do

Exhibit A: Me in the dress with the petticoat but no bra, you can see the line of the waistband:
bluerosedressmay1a.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Option B is I don''t wear the petticoat and the dress has a more flow-y feel. It looks good that way too--I''ve seen some pics online of brides who did this.

Problem is, FH prefers it with (we shopped together.)

But I really don''t *want* to wear the bra that much.

Do I:

1) suck it up and wear both?
2) see if my seamstress can sew the layers of the crinoline into the dress without the show-y waistband? (she''s not a david''s seamstress, not for nothing)
3) put FH''s preference out the window and leave petticoat junction?

Ok, here''s some girl I don''t know in the dress with what appears to be NO crinoline. thoughts?

strangernocrindress.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
And here''s just the bodice shot (dumb me not getting a full one) of me without the crinoline...see how it''s so much smoother looking?

nocrindress53.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this was a different day--the day I chose the dress, the others are the day I picked it up--and I'm wearing no make-up and look very tired. And my veil looks nothing like that.

(And that's my wonderful cute gasian who helped me choose my dress! I love you Raul!!)

OK. Here's a full shot of the dress with petticoat so you can see. I think I like the look of it...but I don't know if I like it enough for that stupid line at the waist.

I'm definitely wearing both petticoat AND bustier here....and you can SEE the bra b/c it's so low cut! I can't have that!! What do I do?

I am a 35 year old baby.

dresscrin46.JPG

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should wear what will make you most comfortable on your wedding day.

FWIW, I actually prefer your dress *without* the crinoline, I think it looks much more elegant that way. Your FH may believe that it matters to him, but seriously, once he gets a look at you on the day you are marrying each other, he won''t be thinking about whether or not you chose to wear the crinoline underneath your dress.

GORGEOUS dress, by the way. I think that style is perfect for your killer figure.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I actually prefer the look of the dress without the crinoline. It looks classier somehow KWIM (not that it''s not a gorgeous dress with it). I also am a big believer that you should be comfortable on your big day, the last thing you want is to be distracted with feeling uncomfortable.

I had a good look at all the pics you posted, and overall, I def vote braless and petticoatless!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else, I think I like it better with out the crinoline plus you''ll be a lot more comfortable!

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 9:35:06 AM
Author: purselover
I agree with everyone else, I think I like it better with out the crinoline plus you''ll be a lot more comfortable!
Agreed!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
What look do you prefer?

I had a similarly simple and figure forming dress and it had a petticoat/crinoline sewn into it so there was no waistband or need for a separate crinoline.

If you do want to go with the crinoline as is, then you can get a long-line bra/bustier which have super low backs.

While I do like your dress without the crinoline too...it does give it a different feel and that may or may not be what you are going for!

Before I tried on dresses I thought I would prefer one without that crinoline structure in the skirt as it seemed too fussy for me, but I actually ended up really liking it as it gave it some more form so that it was still casual/destination style, but not too "beach like" (we were having a destination wedding but not on a beach!). And, I found it very comfortable as it was actually sewn onto the skirt. All I wore underneath was a strapless low-back bra and some blue undies and I felt super comfortable. Heck I was sitting down after our ceremony and playing the didgideroo in it :)

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Why does FH prefer with? He must have some reason. Has he seen the difference in the pictures? It looks so much better without and you can absolutely pull it off. That dress was made for you! Stunning.

Treefrog

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies,

Thanks for the input and all the kind words! FH has seen me in the dress, both with and without. Granted, it''s been months (that was the deal: we chose it together but he wouldn''t see it again until I walked down the aisle.) I''m sure he''ll love it either way.

I do like some of the shape and volume it gives the skirt, but I also like the flowy feel without it--but it could be that some of what I like about the "shape and volume" thing is that it makes the skirt more "walk-able"...which is going to be helped by hemming (I''m 5''3") anyway.

I like not being held in by a longline in general, having had to wear too many corsets for shows--especially since the dress is so low in the back and front--I don''t want to have to be checking for sightlines of the bra.

I''m thinking the thing to do is show the dress to my seamstress and ask her about the possibility of sewing some minor layers of crinoline *just* into the lower "flare" part of the skirt. If she doesn''t think that''s possible (I actually asked them that at David''s last June and they said it wasn''t possible, but I don''t trust their judgement), then I''ll buy the 550 fit and flare slip and have her remove the waist band

...OR just go without it completely, which may be the way I want to go period once she tacks up the skirt for me. I have my 1st fitting Saturday, so I''ll have a better idea then.

THANKS! Sometimes I need to think/type outloud to figure things out.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
My crinoline was sewn in just below where my skirt flared (I had a trumpet skirt) so it felt very comfortable and easy going, but still had that nice bit of flare at the bottom.

You can also see if you can get light bra cups or a light bra sewn INTO the dress (no straps) if you DO want some form of coverage for your breasts however I am not sure how this will work with your fabric since it seems pretty lightweight. I originally had bra cups sewn in since my dress was a strapless/sweetheart but unfortunately they caused me to "spill out" the top (I am a C-cup) so I took them out and went with the strapless instead.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 12:31:03 PM
Author: RaiKai
My crinoline was sewn in just below where my skirt flared (I had a trumpet skirt) so it felt very comfortable and easy going, but still had that nice bit of flare at the bottom.

You can also see if you can get light bra cups or a light bra sewn INTO the dress (no straps) if you DO want some form of coverage for your breasts however I am not sure how this will work with your fabric since it seems pretty lightweight. I originally had bra cups sewn in since my dress was a strapless/sweetheart but unfortunately they caused me to ''spill out'' the top (I am a C-cup) so I took them out and went with the strapless instead.

At the moment, that''s (the former) what I think I''m leaning towards, Raiki. I am a small 32B so I don''t think I need the sewn in cups thing. I don''t even like padding in my bras. (Truth in advertising and all that!
31.gif
)
So I''d prefer to free-boob it if I can.

I''m going to see if I can find pics of your dress b/c I think I like the idea of just a bit of trumpet crinoline sewn in that still has some movement.

Thanks! :)

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ok, as long as I''m being all about MEMEME:

Here are the two bustles I''m considering. I''m not certain who''s wearing what, though I suspect the girl with the euro bustle has some kind of crinoline action going on.

I actually think this dress looks really lovely with EITHER. I''m usually partial to a European bustle in general, but this dress looks really pretty with an American bustle too--it matches the ruching in the back really well.

So I''m not sure what I want.

Thoughts?

bustlesdressbr.JPG

I noticed two distinct looks when viewing the difference between bra + crinoline and none.

When you have all the undergarments on, you look "fuller" maybe a bit curvier, even.

When you have all the undergarments off, you look more casual.

So, which look do you want to go for on your wedding day?

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have many pics of me "full on" in the dress but here is one where you can see my skirt fairly well and see how it is pretty full in the lower part (it is quite form fitted knees and up which is hard to tell here as I am holding it up a bit!). It is a heavier fabric than yours all throughout (silk taffeta). The crinoline is only in the bottom part from about my knees down. There is a underlining in the rest of it but a very thin silky one. Without the crinoline part in the bottom it was a lot straighter which still looked good, but I preferred it with as it seemed to add a bit more shape and balance it out more since the rest of it was rather form-fitting (or else I would of looked rather straight from my knees down).

Signing.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
That helps!! I also just saw another shot of your kiss on the "marriage carpet" (gorgeous--all the pics in that thread make me teary!!)

This gives me a good idea of what to talk over with my seamstress.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
I''d have to agree with the others, it looks much smoother, less bulky without the crinoline slip. If you want the flare, hopefully your seamstress can sew someting in.

Also, I like the American Bustle.
1.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 2:27:39 PM
Author: Rock_of_Love
I''d have to agree with the others, it looks much smoother, less bulky without the crinoline slip. If you want the flare, hopefully your seamstress can sew someting in.

Also, I like the American Bustle.
1.gif

I also prefer the American Bustle. Seems to just have a better flow :)

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like the dress without the crinoline too. I think it might be hard to find a bra/bustier/whatever to go under the dress so I say if you can get away with nothing go for it.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 12:23:06 PM
Author: blueroses
Hi ladies,

I'm thinking the thing to do is show the dress to my seamstress and ask her about the possibility of sewing some minor layers of crinoline *just* into the lower 'flare' part of the skirt. If she doesn't think that's possible (I actually asked them that at David's last June and they said it wasn't possible, but I don't trust their judgement), then I'll buy the 550 fit and flare slip and have her remove the waist band

...OR just go without it completely, which may be the way I want to go period once she tacks up the skirt for me. I have my 1st fitting Saturday, so I'll have a better idea then.

THANKS! Sometimes I need to think/type outloud to figure things out.

I put myself through college doing alterations at a bridal store many years ago. The dress is beautiful on you and fits you perfectly.

I think that part of the your post I clipped above is the best idea. I'm sure your seamstress will be able to add a little flare to just the bottom. She will most likely sew in a very thin "slip" with some crinoline from your knees down. You don't need a lot of flare; I agree it looks better as a more flowing gown.

The David's patented (and I'm sure expensive) slip is just too bulky. And you are right -- the David's people don't know what they're talking about. At the store I worked at, we used to alter those slips all the time.

Also, if you decide to buy the slip and have your seamstress alter it, make sure that you wear the slip for the entire day -- if you take it off, your dress will be too long! That's the problem with those things -- once you decide to wear one, you're stuck with it for the entire day, and they can get very warm!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Sarap, this is REALLY helpful--thank you! (I knew that woman at David''s was full of it!!)

Seriously, I appreciate the expertise.

Thank you all, ladies
36.gif
36.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the dress!

I vote no crinoline-that waistband just bugs me and it looks better without it, in my opinion. (Although if the seamstress can work some magic that would be a great solution.) And I also vote that you free boob it. That dress would be impossible to wear a bra with and not have some bra sightings. I''m the same bra size as you and I basically free boobed it. My seamstress did sew cups into my dress, but it was a structured top so it didn''t look padded. (Also not into padded bras AT ALL.)

And I definitely prefer the American bustle to the European bustle!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I prefer it without the crinoline as well - it looks lovely on you
1.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else--no crinoline and the American bustle. Love your dress!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results