shape
carat
color
clarity

A question about dark blue tanzanite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

m00sie

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hopefully some tanzanite experts will chime in here.

If the ideal colour of tanzanite is a medium dark blue with a purple hue, how much would a dark royal blue tanzanite be valued at? (when compared with a tanzanite the same size/shape but the ideal colour).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are too many variables at play here. The answer depends on several factors:
1. The saturation of the stone
2. The size of the stone
3. You are absolutely sure that the hue is exactly the same.

When you say it is a dark royal blue, I presume you can still see colour rather than just see an inky black blue stone.

Chrometsav

Rough_Rock
One I have been chewing over too Moosie!

For Chrono- Is there still a preferred ideal colour for Tanzanite or are the seas a changing? I know it used to be that which resembled quality blue sapphire was most highly prized. Personally I prefer the stones that look like Tanzanite (more purple/violet) not sapphire.

Do you think that this is starting to slide in other stones too, which were once prized for being replicas of something else or are we still not ready to except some of the newer guard standing on their own two feet? Green garnets, spinels etc?

CT

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
still going to be that sweet blue..only tanzy''s, sapphires and probably hauyne have that kind of blue in the mineral world..violets/purples can be found in lots of stones but that blue of a best color tanzy is sweeeet

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrometsav,
Sapphire blue still seems to be the most prized by traditionalist and the trade although I agree that the violet variety is very beautiful in its own right. It could remain this way indefinitely because of the rarity factor as well with the violet being easier to find. There is always the possibility of other gemstones being appreciated on their own merits but as of now, I believe this to still hold true for a long while yet. For some reason (history and human nature), the very strong traditional colours of green, red and blue continues to be the most highly desired colours.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results